D04 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D04 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:10 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D04.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- page 111 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) EXTENSIONS
Play this left-hand exercise trying to leave your fingers in place on the strings as long as you can, as I show you in the following video. If the stretches between your fingers feel too much for you, you can make it easier for the left hand by using a capo so that you play on the higher frets which are closer together and your fingers will not have to stretch so far apart. Avoid bending your left wrist, as this not only hurts, but also hinders the mobility of your fingers. Aim for the position (of the guitar neck, your elbow and your shoulder) which will allow you to play without bending your left wrist, as shown in the following video. You will be able to play this exercise more effectively if you place your left thumb below your ring finger, i.e. below the third fret.

Youtube

Improvisation work - D04
- pages 127-128
These exercises in improvisation are to be done several times a week, for several months.
Vary the volume (mf, pp, ff, p ...), timbres and rhythms. Never play the same thing twice, because it would cease to be improvisation, and would become composition.
1/ improvise on a single note (A) for 20 seconds.

Youtube

Youtube

2/ improvise using only two notes (G - A) for 20 seconds.

Youtube

Youtube

3/ improvise using only three notes (G - A - B) for 20 seconds

Youtube

Youtube

4/ improvise using only four notes (D - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.

Youtube

Youtube

5/ improvise using only 5 notes (D - E - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.

Youtube

6/ improvise using only 6 notes (D - E - G - A - B - C) for 20 seconds.

Youtube

7/ improvise using only 7 notes ((D - E - F - G - A - B - C) for 20 seconds.

Youtube

Finally, we'll look at 4 pieces, pages 24, 30, 64, 68, 69 and 92.
- page 24 Anonyme - The sick tune
This piece is made up of phrases of 4 bars. The second and fourth phrases are divisions on the first and third phrases [i.e. embellished repetitions of those phrases using notes of shorter duration]. The third string is tuned down a semitone, so that the guitar tuning corresponds to that of the Renaissance lute for which this piece was composed.

Youtube

- page 30 Losy, Jan Antonín - Capriccio, en la mineur
There are three beats to the bar, and the classical harmonic rhythm is that of one harmony per bar. At the end of each of the two sections of the Capriccio, the harmonic rhythm changes to the length of a half note (minim) and thus we get 3 harmonies (3 chords) in 2 bars, this change being known as a hemiola. A hemiola consists of the insertion of a triple rhythm into a duple rhythm, or conversely of a duple rhythm into a triple rhythm. The hemiola is used at the conclusion of the two sections of the dances of the Renaissance and Baroque period. In my PDFs I indicate the presence of hemiolas by dotted lines above the bars.

Youtube

- page 64 Giuliani, Mauro - Valse opus 58 n°3
In this waltz, each phrase begins with an upbeat (or anacrusis) on the third beat. The ascending octaves and the use of dotted notes in the rhythm (dotted eighth note/quaver followed by sixteenth note/semiquaver) give this waltz a very lively feel.

Youtube

- page 68, 69 Carcassi, Matteo - Valse opus 11 n°9
This waltz is made up of contrasting elements. The first section is played pianissimo, and the melody is in the bass. The second section begins forte. In the third section the melody is in the upper part, and is played with rest stroke (apoyando), the accompaniment being played with free stroke (tirando). On the second page, the crossed lines are an indication not to slide the fingers along the fourth string, so as not to cause unwanted noise.

Youtube

- page 92 Tárrega, Francisco - Andantino, en la mayor
Bar 15 is particularly difficult. In order to play this succession of thirds successfully, leave your fingers on the strings and slide them from one position to another, as I show you in this video, where I play bar 15 slowly and then faster.

Youtube

Youtube

When you start working on a new piece, start by working very slowly, concentrating on precision. The essential thing is that you should play the music perfectly, that your rhythm should be precise, your sound well controlled, and your playing musical and expressive.
Speed will come with your new skills acquired in time through work. You should not worry about speed when tackling a new piece. At the beginning, such a preoccupation would only hinder you in your progress. It is only once you have mastered the piece within the comfort of a slow tempo, that you can start to think about playing progressively faster until finally you reach the right tempo.

The work I'm asking of you is difficult and requires you to be both organized and disciplined. It is certain that you will struggle to get your fingers to perform the exact movements required for the exercises. In order to succeed in this, you need to make the same movements several dozen times daily. The goal of these exercises is to strengthen and stretch your finger muscles, to make your fingers stronger and more agile. Put in plenty of work, every day, on the difficult parts, focus on them and play the easy parts only occasionally.
To get the best out of your practice time, split it up into 15 minute sessions, and leave your hands to rest for at least 30 minutes between sessions. If your hands hurt, leave them to rest for an hour, the time it takes your body to eliminate the lactic acid in your muscles, which is the main cause of muscle pain.

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 127 Delcamp, Jean-François Improvisation - 4/ Improvise using only 4 notes (D G A B) for 20 seconds.

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

Zafar Haq
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Zafar Haq » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Hi,Classmates,
This month exam qualifying exercises music sheet breakdown.

- page 127 Delcamp, Jean-François Improvisation - 4/ Improvise using only 4 notes (D G A B) for 20 seconds.

music sheet breakdown

a.page 127 Delcamp, Jean-François Improvisation - 4/ Improvise using only 4 notes (D G A B) for 20 seconds.
1.Time Signature:
2.Tempo:Not defined
3.Strokes:
4.Measures:
5.Phrases:
6.Damping:
7.Repeats:
8.Special effects:
9.# symbol:
11.Rest:
12. Articulation:
13.Improvisation:Yes,4 notes D,G,A,B
14.Slur:
15.Ornament:
16.Tie:
17.sharp/flat/natural:
18.Barre:
Definition:Improvisation:Musical improvisation (also known as musical extemporization) is the creative activity of immediate ("in the moment") musical composition, which combines performance with communication of emotions and instrumental technique as well as spontaneous response to other musicians.[1] Sometimes musical ideas in improvisation are spontaneous, but may be based on chord changes in classical music,[1] and many other kinds of music. One definition is a "performance given extempore without planning or preparation.wiki

b.page 24 Anonyme - The sick tune
E minor
Mr Delcamp advices,"The third string is tuned down a semitone, so that the guitar tuning corresponds to that of the Renaissance lute for which this piece was composed." :)

3rd number string =FA#

1.Time Signature: 2/4
2.Tempo:56
3.Strokes: Not defined
4.Measures:16
5.Phrases: Not defined
6.Damping: Yes,13
7.Repeats: No
8.Special effects:No
9.Sharp Symbol:Yes,F#,d# measures 4,8,11,15
10.Lyrics: No
11.Rest:No
12. Articulation.No
13.Improvisation:No
14.Slur:No
15.Ornament:No
16.Tie:No
17.sharp/flat:Yes
18.Barre:No

c.page 64 Giuliani, Mauro - Valse opus 58 n°3
A Major

1.Time Signature: 3/4
2.Tempo:144
4.Measures:18
6.Damping: Yes,2
7.Repeats: Yes,m 1 to 9, measure 10 to 18
8.Special effects:Yes,Dynamic,f=forte,p=piano
11.Rest:Yes,Quarter note m 5,7,8,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18
12. Articulation.No
17.sharp/flat/natural:Yes,natural m 6,12,13,
18.Barre:Yes,m 3,5,9,15

d.page 92 Tárrega, Francisco - Andantino, en la mayor

1.Time Signature: 3/4
2.Tempo:104
4.Measures:16
6.Damping: Yes,11
7.Repeats: Yes,m 1 to 8,D.C al Fine at m16,Fine at m8
8.Special effects:
9.Any Sharps:Yes,C#,F#,G# m 1 to 8, C#,F# m 9 to 16
11.Rest:Yes,Quarter notes at measure 2,4,6,8,16
12. Articulation.No
17.sharp/flat/natural:Yes,"g" natural at measures 9 to 16
18.Barre:No

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi Classmates,
Regarding "The Sick Tune exercise" Marco explain it nicely.Visit D04 Lesson 2 archive.
Here is Marko explanation:

"Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 02
Post by Marko Räsänen » Friday 21 October 2016, 10:57 am

G string is tuned down to F#/Gb. Note that all the notes on that string will be found one fret higher than usual tuning, e.g. when you see 'a' in the sheet music, instead of fretting 2nd fret on 3rd string, you'll need to fret 3rd fret on 3rd string. And of course f# can be played as open 3rd string as well as from 4th fret of 4th string. It can be confusing at first, but you'll get used to it after a while."

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:34 am

Zafar Haq wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:08 pm
Hi Classmates,
Regarding "The Sick Tune exercise" Marco explain it nicely.Visit D04 Lesson 2 archive.
Here is Marko explanation:
Thanks for the heads up on that one Zafar, interesting how music has changed over the years. Had to listen to JF play this a few times before it made sense musically to me. The scales all sounded wrong to me to begin with, but now its starting to make sense.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:33 am

Hi friends, here is my 2/4 of the assignment:

Youtube

Youtube

I worked on these pieces for ~5 days in relatively short sittings (like 20 minutes per piece). I noticed that within a sitting it was extremely hard to do any progress, I could work on 1 bar for long time and feel stupid and incapable. But after a break (half-day or day) as soon as I started a new session it was much easier. Looks like a lot is going on in our subconscious when we are off the guitar (or playing something else) :)
So, my learned lesson: do not work for too long on a new piece in one sitting, work max 20 min in a row on one thing.
Cordoba C9

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:59 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:33 am
I'm just at the early stages of these so not easy to make comments you would find useful. However, your playing has a flowing quality which is very easy to listen to, excellent job considering the short time.
Andrei Puhach wrote:
after a break (half-day or day) as soon as I started a new session it was much easier. Looks like a lot is going on in our subconscious when we are off the guitar (or playing something else) :)
So, my learned lesson: do not work for too long on a new piece in one sitting, work max 20 min in a row on one thing.
I think this is good advice. I've often struggled with a piece and left it for a few days, even a week an noticced it was a lot easier, so yes something goes on in the background.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:10 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:

Youtube

Youtube

I worked on these pieces for ~5 days in relatively short sittings (like 20 minutes per piece). I noticed that within a sitting it was extremely hard to do any progress, I could work on 1 bar for long time and feel stupid and incapable. But after a break (half-day or day) as soon as I started a new session it was much easier. Looks like a lot is going on in our subconscious when we are off the guitar (or playing something else) :)
Excellent play Andrei. This valse is very difficult for me: strings bar, awkward middle and pinky, move from one side of the guitar neck to other side, finger roll, and you play it smoothly! Good job! :bravo:
I listened to your Valse song again and saw something

1. In bar 8 and 9: the melody line (from 0:09 to 0:11 in your video) is : C# (str 1, fr 9) --> G# (string 1, fret 4) --> A (str 1, fret 5)
According to the score, it should be : B (str 1, fret 7) --> G# (string 1, fret 4) --> A (str 1, fret 5)

2. Bar 16 : the highest note, E note ( string 1, fret 12 ) should last for 1 beat (at 0:29 in your video) not 1/2 beat.

Overall, your play is great and has inspired me to be a better player, :merci: Andrei.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:09 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:10 pm
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Excellent play Andrei. This valse is very difficult for me: strings bar, awkward middle and pinky, move from one side of the guitar neck to other side, finger roll, and you play it smoothly! Good job! :bravo:
I listened to your Valse song again and saw something

1. In bar 8 and 9: the melody line (from 0:09 to 0:11 in your video) is : C# (str 1, fr 9) --> G# (string 1, fret 4) --> A (str 1, fret 5)
According to the score, it should be : B (str 1, fret 7) --> G# (string 1, fret 4) --> A (str 1, fret 5)

2. Bar 16 : the highest note, E note ( string 1, fret 12 ) should last for 1 beat (at 0:29 in your video) not 1/2 beat.

Overall, your play is great and has inspired me to be a better player, :merci: Andrei.
Thank you, Binh! Indeed, I double checked the score and it is different from what I played. I appreciate a detailed description of the difference.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:59 am
Andrei Puhach wrote:
I'm just at the early stages of these so not easy to make comments you would find useful. However, your playing has a flowing quality which is very easy to listen to, excellent job considering the short time.
Andrei Puhach wrote:
after a break (half-day or day) as soon as I started a new session it was much easier. Looks like a lot is going on in our subconscious when we are off the guitar (or playing something else) :)
I think this is good advice. I've often struggled with a piece and left it for a few days, even a week an noticced it was a lot easier, so yes something goes on in the background.
Colin, thank you for your feedback. Well, it was not that short time, fortunately, I can find a lot of time to practice (multiple sessions on a weekend and at least one 1-2 hour session on a weekday).
Cordoba C9

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:55 pm

Hi,Colin,classmates,
Unfortunately due to close family member death this week,I will not be able to participate further in to lessons preparation,discussion etc.
Not to distract other members in this class about my personal real world problems,I wish every member, to continue their participation,efforts and wish them all success in the future lessons.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:03 am

Zafar Haq wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:55 pm
Hi,Colin,classmates,
Unfortunately due to close family member death this week,I will not be able to participate further in to lessons preparation,discussion etc.
Not to distract other members in this class about my personal real world problems,I wish every member, to continue their participation,efforts and wish them all success in the future lessons.
I'm sorry to hear that, Zafar. Please accept my condolences. :discussion:

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:13 am

Zafar Haq wrote:
Hi,Colin,classmates,
So sorry for your loss Zafar, you will of course be greatly missed on Delcamp and I hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again at some time in the future.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:

Lovely playing Andrei, nice and smooth legato playing and just one small mistake in each piece as Binh pointed out. You certainly set the bar pretty high for the rest of us.

Regarding practice sessions, I have noticed the same as you - short session, then a break and come back to it, and suddenly things become clearer. Doesn't seem to be working too well for lesson 2 D05 pieces though.n :cry:

Hope to be posting some D04 pieces in the nex few days though. :)

Very well done on your submissions, look forward to hearing your other peices. :bravo:
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:37 am

Zafar Haq wrote:
Hi,Colin,classmates,
So sorry to hear that Zafar.
Your input has been really welcomed and valued, perhaps we'll see you again next year.
All the best
Colin

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:48 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm
Well, it was not that short time, fortunately, I can find a lot of time to practice (multiple sessions on a weekend and at least one 1-2 hour session on a weekday).
Impressive even so. I usually manage about 20min/day, but not all days. I'm trying to use the advice everyone shared last year to make the practice more efficient.
Andrei Puhach wrote:
DaveMoutrie wrote:
Chu Bun wrote:
JohnEllis wrote:
Can I ask you folks a favour. Nelson Lee has posted his catchup posts from last year in students corner starting at viewtopic.php?f=41&t=89320&start=345#p1223834. If you have a spare moment would you listen and give feedback. Thanks

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”