D04 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:25 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:55 pm
Hi,Colin,classmates,
Unfortunately due to close family member death this week,I will not be able to participate further in to lessons preparation,discussion etc.
Not to distract other members in this class about my personal real world problems,I wish every member, to continue their participation,efforts and wish them all success in the future lessons.
My condolences, Zafar... I hope you will be able to resume you practice at some point.
Cordoba C9

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:18 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:
Hi,Colin,classmates,
Unfortunately due to close family member death this week,I will not be able to participate further in to lessons preparation,discussion etc.
Not to distract other members in this class about my personal real world problems,I wish every member, to continue their participation,efforts and wish them all success in the future lessons.
Zafar, Very sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you'll be back when you can.
If music be the food of love, play on. --Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, 1.1

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:51 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:33 am
Hi friends, here is my 2/4 of the assignment:

- page 64 Giuliani, Mauro - Valse opus 58 n°3

Youtube

- page 92 Tárrega, Francisco - Andantino, en la mayor

Youtube

I worked on these pieces for ~5 days in relatively short sittings (like 20 minutes per piece). I noticed that within a sitting it was extremely hard to do any progress, I could work on 1 bar for long time and feel stupid and incapable. But after a break (half-day or day) as soon as I started a new session it was much easier. Looks like a lot is going on in our subconscious when we are off the guitar (or playing something else) :)
So, my learned lesson: do not work for too long on a new piece in one sitting, work max 20 min in a row on one thing.
Andrei, your playing is very fluid. I watch your videos and feel it is something for me to work towards. Thanks.
If music be the food of love, play on. --Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, 1.1

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:15 pm

My 2 of 4 for this month. Please advice.
I struggle quite bit with sight-reading beyond the 5th fret, still need to look and check my fretting hand to correctly find the notes.

Youtube

Youtube

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:17 pm

JohnEllis wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:51 pm
Andrei, your playing is very fluid. I watch your videos and feel it is something for me to work towards. Thanks.
Agree. Don't know how you can pick up the pieces in such a short time, very precise fingering and well articulated. I could hear the 1/2 instead 1 beat that Binh pointed out in his post simply because I made the same mistake many times.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:18 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:
Hi,Colin,classmates,
Zafar,
My condolences. By the way, you may find some comforts in playing music, one of the reasons I spent lots of time with my guitar as a teenager.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:04 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:15 pm
I struggle quite bit with sight-reading beyond the 5th fret, still need to look and check my fretting hand to correctly find the notes.
Same here, I need to do some serious thinking about these upper frets. MAybe that's one of the big learning items this year.

I was about to post my rather hesitant vwrsion of the Andantino, having seen yours maybe I need more practice :oops:
Very well done, polishing will bring the extra smoothness, but all the elements are there.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:05 am

Chu Bun wrote:

Youtube

Hi Chu, good job :bravo:. This song is very hard, I couldn't play as smooth as you.
You might want to check:
1. bar 9 (at 0:15 in your video): A chord (A, C#, A) lasts for 1 beat not 1/2 beat
2. bar 18 (at 1:02 in your video): contains 2 A notes. The first A note (fret 2, string 3) lasts for 1 beat not 1/2.

Well done, again this song is hard but also helps us grow and become better player. (Your face tho, in my wild imagination :lol: , I thought you were in a restroom and had a gigantic turd, sorry can't help myself :mrgreen: )

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:19 pm

Last edited by Tom Wimsatt on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:17 am

Chu Bun wrote:

Youtube

Youtube
Hello Chu. Try moving the music stand over a little so your left hand is in your peripheral vision. This can help you begin to get a feel for hand position without taking your eyes off the score.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:01 am

Chu Bun wrote:

Hey Chu, these two are great works, nothing to add to other comments (especially, to eagle-eyed Binh :) ) The A string seems to be a little out of tune in Andantino.
Re sight-reading I've got a similar problem, very slow at it... Instead of reflexes I gotta do some calculations to figure out where to fret beyond the 5th fret. As Simon Powis suggests it might be helpful to work on _1_ note a time: for example, find all possible C# on the fret on all strings. Then pick some other random note (not adjacent).
Also, the predecessor to success is knowing the staff above ledger lines really well. So, there are 2 steps actually: learn the staff and then the fretboard.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:22 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:17 pm
JohnEllis wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:51 pm
Agree. Don't know how you can pick up the pieces in such a short time, very precise fingering and well articulated. I could hear the 1/2 instead 1 beat that Binh pointed out in his post simply because I made the same mistake many times.
Thank you, Chu. I actually did many many attempts to record it, so my work was not done properly. Also, coincidentally, my method book has scales in octaves which I was working on recently, so these octaves in Valse were easier to pick up. Another thing is nails which I finally almost figured out how to shape (in all dimensions). Not only tone improves but it is so much easier to play when they do not catch strings. Just found some of my old recordings from D02 and some D03 and got amazed how terrible the tone was...

Simple known principles seem to work pretty well:
- pick a fragment and work on it for 5-10 min with full focus. Do not play the entire piece.
- work for ~20 mins on a piece then do a break (or play smth else).
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:36 am

Here is my second half of the assignment:

4/ improvise using only four notes (D - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.

Youtube

Sorry, this one is not true improvisation. It is too difficult for me to produce any meaningful music without any preparation.... So, I kind of prepared some fragments and patterns in advance and memorized where I can fret :D . I would have never been able to play like that doing true improvisation. Also, I figured that G - B - D is a G major chord, so the tune is based on this chord. Tried to use as much of the fretboard as possible (an exercise to learn it better). Sorry for tons of mistakes, but that's the best I could produce.
BTW, if F# was allowed (to do a D major chord) we could utilize the I-V progression and it could sound much more interesting.

- page 24 Anonyme - The sick tune

Youtube
Cordoba C9

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:35 pm

First 2, with warts.

Improvise using only 4 notes (D G A B)

Youtube

Andantino

Youtube

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:36 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:36 am
Here is my second half of the assignment:

4/ improvise using only four notes (D - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.
Very impressive and very musical.
Cant comment on Sick tune as I have only just started looking at it.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”