D04 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
JohnEllis
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by JohnEllis » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:25 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:43 pm
I think the bass line could be a bit louder though (I've got a similar problem, working on it). Also, some damps are missing, but with soft bass line it is unnoticeable.
Agreed, another area that needs work. When I play, the bass sounds fine to me, but the microphone doesn't pick it up as much. Have you found the same when you play? I will try playing them louder. Damping will be a work in progress for a long time.
If music be the food of love, play on. --Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, 1.1

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:38 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:36 am

4/ improvise using only four notes (D - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.

Youtube

Sorry, this one is not true improvisation. It is too difficult for me to produce any meaningful music without any preparation....
It's a nice composition. Not easy to do over a single major chord. I have struggled with improvisation too for a long time and am rarely satisfied with the results.
Andrei Puhach wrote:

Also, I figured that G - B - D is a G major chord, so the tune is based on this chord.
The G-B-D make the major G chord, a you indicate. Also, in this context, the A is the suspended 2, so it will naturally lead the music forward to the third (B), and towards resolution to the 1 (G). Improvising over G-B-D, you can use the A for movement forward and back. That's how I did mine. Perhaps you'll give it a try and post a sample :)

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:42 am

Colin Bullock wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:35 pm
Improvise using only 4 notes (D G A B)
Nice improvisation, Colin. The combination of being in G major and the use of open strings give this exercise a traditional, folksy feel. :)

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:46 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
- page 24 Anonyme - The sick tune
You achieve a nice speed and flowing rhythm with this piece. The transition from measure 7 to measure 8 is slows me down.

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:54 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:15 pm
My 2 of 4 for this month.
Chu, You play both pieces at a good, steady tempo and with good volume. One area to look out for is trying not to collapse the wrist when shifting up to the higher positions.
Do you play without RH fingernails?

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:57 am

JohnEllis wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:25 am
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:43 pm
I think the bass line could be a bit louder though (I've got a similar problem, working on it). Also, some damps are missing, but with soft bass line it is unnoticeable.
Agreed, another area that needs work. When I play, the bass sounds fine to me, but the microphone doesn't pick it up as much. Have you found the same when you play? I will try playing them louder. Damping will be a work in progress for a long time.
Ah, that's actually true, the mic might not pick up bass well. I use Zoom H2, changed it from MS to XY setting and placed a bit further from the guitar, seems to work better this way.
Damping might not be that useful itself, but it is a great exercise for finger independence: like no matter what the thumb does it should not restrict the freedom of other fingers and vice versa.
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:14 am

John,
I really like your style, the hands are very stable but relax, and it looks like that's how you play naturally. Besides the missing dampings, I don't see anything problematic.

Thank you for pointing out my wrist problem. Maybe it's the wrist angle changes that causes the problems I have with moving above the 5th fret.
I play without nail, but it's not really a choice, and I don't recommend it. You don't have to worry about broken or badly shape nails, but other than that I don't see any other advantages.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:55 am

Hi classmates, here are my submission. Please comment:

Youtube

Youtube

@John
Nice work, please aware that your right pinky is stiff. You may want to work on it.

http://www.upsieutoc.com/image/pZWrBk

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:33 am

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:55 am
Hey Binh, this one was easy for you I guess :) Very few minor mistakes/flubs, my only comment is about moving the wrist while playing with the thumb. I've got a similar problem, especially when on 4th or 3rd string. But I think it would be very easy for you to fix it. In the assignment pieces it is ok to play like that, but, for example, Carcassi Etude No7 (first measures) requires a stable wrist to play it fast.
Cordoba C9

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:13 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:33 am
Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Hey Binh, this one was easy for you I guess :) Very few minor mistakes/flubs, my only comment is about moving the wrist while playing with the thumb. I've got a similar problem, especially when on 4th or 3rd string. But I think it would be very easy for you to fix it. In the assignment pieces it is ok to play like that, but, for example, Carcassi Etude No7 (first measures) requires a stable wrist to play it fast.
Hi Andrei, I dont understand your comment about my thumb clearly . I never think about it before. Please record a short video about how to use the thumb correctly and which is wrong in my technique. Thanks

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:47 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:13 am
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:33 am
Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Hi Andrei, I dont understand your comment about my thumb clearly . I never think about it before. Please record a short video about how to use the thumb correctly and which is wrong in my technique. Thanks
Your technique is not wrong :) I like how relaxed your RH is and fingers independent, my only comment was about moving/rotating the palm in the direction of the thumb stroke when using the thumb alone. Probably that's fine, I saw world class guitarists doing that.
Cordoba C9

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:50 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
@John
Nice work, please aware that your right pinky is stiff. You may want to work on it.
Thanks for your observation Binh. I've taken note.
Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
I agree with Andrei that you play these pieces with relative ease. I would point out a couple of rhythm areas that should be easy fixes for you:
1) in Valse you play the chord arpeggiated rather than as a block (00:37 and 00:51, the second beat of measure 13).
2) in Andantino, you play the melody in measure 12 as an appoggiatura, rather than 8ths (00:35).

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:33 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:13 am
Please record a short video about how to use the thumb correctly and which is wrong in my technique. Thanks
For a "wrong" example, you can look at any of my videos especially when I try to play rest strokes such as the one below from last month lesson.
https://youtu.be/Sb3h8Usgcb8
Basically, the stroke is not only from the main knuckle but also from the rotation/movement of the wrist/hand as explained by Andrei. If you look at Andrei or John clips, there is very little movement of the wrist/hand when they played the base lines. You have some movements but nothing compared to mine.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:58 pm

@ Andrei, John and Chu
Thanks for comment. I will focus on my right thumb and fix the rhythm . :merci:

One thing I found out is that: after these assignments, my left hand dexterity is improving, especially my left ring finger. I now somewhat "control" it. You know: just think about it and it automatically goes to where I want it to (well, most of the time). I'm very excited and want to share with you guys. :casque: Just think about it, in D01, D02 and D03 we often play in 1st position but now we run across the board to fret 12 and even do barr chord. This is a great jump for me, challenging but exciting at the same time. So I want to thank our beloved forum and my helpful classmates, we are improving together! :discussion:

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:48 am

The rest of the assignments for this month. Please give comments.

Youtube

My right hand was very jumpy here.

Youtube

I never really understand the purpose of these improvise exercises. Just fill the blanks here.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”