D04 Classical guitar lesson 03

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:59 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:16 pm
I always thought barring with fingers other than 1 is an electric guitar technique. Without seeing the notation, I would normally do 1+234 instead of 1+4.
Agree, 1+234 is more natural and easier to do.
Chu Bun wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:16 pm
Here are my submission for two of the pieces. The first one is not up to speed and both have many dead notes, but I probably won't do any better with a few more days (or weeks) of practice. So here they are.
Congrats!!
Carulli's prelude is good, the tricky spots have dead notes, as you mentioned. Also, some damps are missing (measure 9). But the right hand work is very good, consistent and even. I think it is worth the effort to learn this prelude in variation C.
BTW, I find measures 10, 15 most difficult rather than bracketed 9, 16.

Petite etude is great as well, but to make it even more musical I'd do this:
- play measure 6 as legato as possible, keep B ringing the entire measure. Also, use rest-stroke on note B and add some vibrato.
- more rubato in measures 15-16 (tension)
Cordoba C9

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:42 pm

Hi Andrei - hope things are well. Quick question - I am looking to upgrade guitar - how do you like the Cordoba C9?

Ed

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:43 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:42 pm
Hi Andrei - hope things are well. Quick question - I am looking to upgrade guitar - how do you like the Cordoba C9?

Ed
Hi Ed, how are you? Long time no see :) For the price Cordoba C9 is pretty good, it was designed by Kenny Hill, I even had a chance to talk to him personally, but he said he is not affiliated with Cordoba any more (or at least for C9 line) he doesn't know if it is the same quality now as it used to be.
I'd recommend to watch some reviews on YouTube. Personally I like the guitar, even though my particular guitar has some little defects. I brought it to guitar shops a couple times to compare with other guitars, and it to me it sounded better than some 2 or 3 times more expensive guitars, and in most cases I liked my guitar more than others :).

Pros:
- loud
- playable
- has a truss rod (to control action)

Cons:
- has dead notes (G, G#). But I tried other C9, it was good.
- plasticky sound on the B string
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:00 am

Thank you all for the comment and suggestions.
For the Carulli's piece, my main problem is the fretting hand getting tired. I felt a strain in the back of my hand when I got to the barre at measure 16. For measure 10, I slid (2) along the 3rd string and used it as an anchor before fretting other notes.
For the petite etude piece somehow I can memorize it without much effort. I'll try your suggestions after I'm done with the Paganini's piece (which will be a long while).

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:03 am

Ed,

I think best way to find out is to find a good guitar shop and try out different guitars. Even on the same model, each guitar may sound and play slightly different. Some seem to "talk" to you and other do not (either that or my mind play tricks on me). When I was looking to upgrade my cheap Yamaha, I really liked those made in Spain Cordobas (it's been a while so I don't remember the model name, but the names sounds like a person's name not code like C7, C9, ...).

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:37 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:03 am
Ed,

I think best way to find out is to find a good guitar shop and try out different guitars. Even on the same model, each guitar may sound and play slightly different. Some seem to "talk" to you and other do not (either that or my mind play tricks on me). When I was looking to upgrade my cheap Yamaha, I really liked those made in Spain Cordobas (it's been a while so I don't remember the model name, but the names sounds like a person's name not code like C7, C9, ...).
Good advice. Cordoba produces replicas of famous guitars like Hauser, but for that price I'd find a real luthiers guitar. I tried Cordoba Hauser actually, it was easy to play, sounded great, but it was difficult to understand the sound as I did not compare it with my guitar in the same setting.
Cordoba C9

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:09 am

Hi everyone. I'm practicing Paganini's piece, and notice in measure 17, there is a F# and an E7 chord. Why does a song in D major have F# and E7 chord? Thanks.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:05 pm

Andrei, Chu - thank you for your advice. I will expand my search.

Ed

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:51 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:09 am
Hi everyone. I'm practicing Paganini's piece, and notice in measure 17, there is a F# and an E7 chord. Why does a song in D major have F# and E7 chord? Thanks.
Hi Binh,
Paganini is modulating to other keys in this song. In measures 17-20, he goes to B Harmonic Minor: F# Major is the V of B Harmonic Minor, so it's a V-i progression in the new key, two measures of each. (Incidentally, it's the same key he uses in the Minore section). Then, he goes to the key of A Major in measures 21-24: E7 is the V of A, so it's a V-I progression in the new key, again two measures of each. Then, he comes back to D Major in measure 25.
John
Last edited by JohnEllis on Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If music be the food of love, play on. --Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, 1.1

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:03 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:05 pm
Andrei, Chu - thank you for your advice. I will expand my search.

Ed
Hi Ed,
Andrei and Chu have given you good advice. I would just add that the two main considerations at first are 1) what your budget might be for a new guitar, and 2) wether you like the sound of spruce or cedar better? I mention the second point because, like Chu, I also upgraded from an inexpensive Yamaha some years ago. This was before I knew anything about spruce and cedar, I just thought a guitar was a guitar. To make a long story short, my Yamaha happened to be cedar, and the new guitar spruce (not the one I play in my recordings), and I found out too late that I liked the sound of cedar better. So, years later, I ended up buying a cedar too, which I still use when performing.

JohnEllis

Post by JohnEllis » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:09 pm

Chu Bun wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:00 am
Thank you all for the comment and suggestions.
For the Carulli's piece, my main problem is the fretting hand getting tired. I felt a strain in the back of my hand when I got to the barre at measure 16.
Hi Chu,
It might just be that you are squeezing the guitar neck too hard with your LH. It happens to me when I 'm playing a difficult RH passage and I'm focusing on the R hand only. My left fingers will get sore from over pressing. It's something I'm trying to work at: relax the left hand when focusing on the right hand.
John

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:58 pm

John - thanks - that is a great thout and something I will consider in my selection.

Ed

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:38 am

@Chu I feel you, barre chord is a real pain in the ash.
@John Thank you, music theory is confusing. It seems to me that classical composers all want to break rule :D .

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:00 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:38 am
@Chu I feel you, barre chord is a real pain in the ash.
@John Thank you, music theory is confusing. It seems to me that classical composers all want to break rule :D .
This barre is somewhat easy actually, as you only need to fret 1st and 6th strings. The most difficult strings for barre are 2 and 3 (for me at least).
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:04 pm

Here is my 2/3 of the assignment:

- page 49 Carulli, Ferdinando - Prelude opus 114 n°7

Youtube

- page 103 Morin, Ludovic-Alexandre - Petite étude

Youtube

I also tried to record that Paganini piece, but no luck so far, it is pretty bad, need to work a bit more on it...
Cordoba C9

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”