FAQs for lessons

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

FAQs for lessons

Postby GeoffB » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:35 pm

These are the answers to some frequently asked questions about the lessons. You can click on the questions in the following list to go straight to the respective answers, and then return to the list by clicking on the back button on your browser, or of course you can just read through them all to make sure you haven't missed anything. Any blue, underlined words in the answers are links to further information.

Please feel free to suggest further items for the list. You can do so in reply to this post, and I'll incorporate suitable additions in due course.

Geoff

About the lessons:
- What does the course consist of?
- Are the lessons available in any other languages?
- Are the lessons available only in standard notation or is there also tablature?
- Will I be directly tutored by M Delcamp?
- Can I use just any guitar?
- Do I need to be able to read sheet music in order to take lessons?
- How long, on average, does it take to complete each of the lessons, assuming 30-45 min/day practice?
- How long does it usually take to learn classical guitar? Am I too old to start now?
- Why is it that there are scores for levels D08-D12 but no lessons to go with them?
- Are the lessons repeated each year?

Registering:
- How do I register for the lessons?
- Do I have to use my real name and surname to register? I'd like to keep my privacy.
- I was in the students group last year, do I need to register again this year?
- Can I register in advance for next September?
- Do I need to register for the lessons just to access the sheet music?
- Is it possible to follow the lessons as an observer?

Late starters:
- Is it still possible to register even though the course started some time ago?
- Does it matter that I will not have time to meet the conditions for the exam?

Levels:
- What is meant by levels (D01, D02, etc.)?
- Do I need to register for a specific level?
- Can I change levels once I've started?
- Can I follow more than one level at the same time?
- Which level would be the most suitable to start at?
- What is meant by the 20 messages I have to post to access the higher score levels, and where do I post them?

What to do in the lesson:
- How do I take part in the lessons?
- How should I tune my guitar?
- How do I record myself for the lessons?
- Do the recordings of the required pieces have to be video, or may they be audio-only?
- Where and how do I post recordings of lesson pieces?
- How do I make my Youtube videos viewable on the forum?
- Can I repost the recordings I made for the same lesson last year?
- What recordings can I post in lesson topics?
- What recordings can I post in Students' Corner?

The Exam:
- How is the final exam conducted and what exactly is tested?
- How do I join the Spanish forum in order to sit the end of year exam?
- I did the exam last year. Do I need to re-register to do this year's exam?
- What is the benefit of the exam? Is it just to give you a way to gauge your own progress?

Score collections:
- Can I print the collection of scores or there will be any problem with the copyrights?
- Would it be useful to print out the complete scores and create an index?
- Is there a quick way of finding out when the scores have been updated?
- Do the score collections contain any music theory, or just musical pieces?

Symbols used in the scores:
- Why are some pieces marked with a tick in the top left corner and some not?
- What is that long curving line over the top of the staff?
- What is the pinwheel/flower symbol that appears in some of the scores?
- What is meant by the rectangular outlines around some passages?
- What does the 8 under the G clef symbol mean?

ABOUT THE LESSONS:

What does the course consist of?

The course is made up of ten lessons at each of several different levels. The first lesson of each level appears in September, and subsequent lessons at monthly intervals. Students who join at the beginning of the course are encouraged to follow the lessons as they come out. Students who join later will find more than one lesson already out, and should start with the first and work through them sequentially.

Each lesson covers a number of exercises and practice pieces, for which the sheet music is provided, as well as demonstration videos and instructional notes by M. Delcamp. Students work on the pieces and post recordings of their progress for feedback by other students, before moving on to the next lesson.

Are the lessons available in any other languages?

Yes, they are also available in French, Spanish and Italian. To follow those, you first need to register on the French, Spanish or Italian Delcamp forum, which you can access by clicking on the relevant link at the top left of the forum page. Note that you cannot log in there until you have registered, since they have different membership databases from our English-language forum, but you can use the same name and password when registering there. Once you have registered on the forum and introduced yourself there, you can go to their online lessons section and register for the lessons there in the same way as you would here.

Are the lessons available only in standard notation or is there also tablature?

So far, the scores do not normally contain tab, except for a few which include facsimiles of the original lute tab, but they probably wouldn't help you much! Generally it is a good idea to learn standard notation, as that gives more information than tab, and being able to read it will open up a huge world of sheet music to you. Since they are graded by difficulty, the Delcamp scores are a useful way to practise reading notation. The only tabs elsewhere on the forum are found in the Our tablatures for classical guitar section.

Will I be directly tutored by M. Delcamp?

No. M. Delcamp provides the lessons which have been carefully tailored to systematically bring a guitar student through the complex process of learning to play classical guitar. Your fellow students and active forum members, especially instructors, are encouraged to participate in offering suggestions, positive criticism, and encouragement to the students participating in the classes.

Can I use just any guitar?

You will need to use a classical guitar (or at least an acoustic guitar with no internal pickups or amplification).

Do I need to be able to read sheet music in order to take lessons?

No. Although the lessons are based on sheet music, not tabs, in the very first exercise M. Delcamp introduces the notes on the open strings and where they are on the staff. After that, he starts introducing notes that need to be fretted with left hand fingers. He shows you where they are on the staff and which left hand fingers to use, and demonstrates all of this on his videos. If anything is not clear, the other students will be there to help you, so feel free to ask questions, and if you come across symbols you are unfamiliar with, there are sites such as http://www.dolmetsch.com/musicalsymbols.htm which may help.

How long, on average, does it take to complete each of the lessons, assuming 30-45 min/day practice?

The intention is that students will work on each lesson for approximately 4 weeks. After the first week, they are encouraged to upload a recording for feedback by the other students, and then to continue working on the pieces taking any such feedback into account, and possibly post another version of the recording towards the end of the 4-week period showing any improvements. Obviously students who are starting the course later and catching up with the others may wish to get through the earlier lessons more quickly if they can.

How long does it usually take to learn classical guitar? Am I too old to start now?

It has been suggested that 10,000 hours of practice are needed if you want to take it seriously! However, for the amateur it's possible to achieve a satisfactory result much earlier. Even if you are several years away from playing the more difficult pieces, it can be just as enjoyable to play a simple piece really well, concentrating on tone, phrasing, etc. Each of the Delcamp levels relates to a year of study, so looking at the pieces there will give you an idea of how long it might take you to to play them, with reasonably diligent practice. We have quite a few members just taking up the guitar in their 70s, and thoroughly enjoying it.

Why is it that there are scores for levels D08-D12 but no lessons to go with them?

The Delcamp scores were here long before the lessons in fact, and can be used independently of them. Then a few years ago M. Delcamp started producing lessons based on the scores, but they take a lot of work to prepare, so he has only got as far as level D05 so far (plus a video-only course for levels D06 and D07 on the Spanish forum). How much further he feels able to go will depend on how much time he has, but the forum keeps him pretty busy already, bearing in mind that he has a full-time job during the day too.

Are the lessons repeated each year?

Broadly speaking, yes. At the beginning of each new session (in September each year), all the previous year's lessons are moved to the archives here, where you can still see them, but won't be able to post in them. Then the new lessons are posted, one per month for each level. They are mostly the same in their content as the corresponding lessons last year, although there may be some small updates, and the required pieces for students to post may be different.

REGISTERING:

How do I register for the lessons?

To register for the lessons, read carefully the first post in the topic Conditions for participating in the lessons, and ensure that you can satisfy the conditions there. In particular:

• You will need a classical guitar, or at least an acoustic guitar, and some way of recording yourself.
  • Your username needs to be your full real name. If it isn't already, you can request a username change to your real name by posting a message in Your messages to the site administrator. When your username has been changed, you will use the new one (your full name) to log in (keeping the same password).
  • If you haven't already done so, you need introduce yourself here. (There are some ideas on things to say, if you need any, here).
  • You need to advertise the lessons in some way as suggested in the conditions, by posting on Facebook or some other website, putting up posters, or telling your friends about them.
When you have done all that, you can register by posting a message in the Conditions for participating in the lessons topic, confirming that you accept the conditions and have advertised the lessons.

Do I have to use my real name and surname to register? I'd like to keep my privacy.

Yes, I'm afraid that the use of your real name is an absolute requirement if you want to join in the lessons. If you really don't want to provide it, you might consider following the lessons as an observer and working on the pieces by yourself.

I was in the students group last year, do I need to register again this year?

Yes, registrations only last for one session, and need to be renewed from September. This means re-reading the conditions in case of any updates, advertising the new session (using the updated posters or wording if required), and registering in the same way as before.

Can I register in advance for next September?

Advance registration for a future session is not possible, because each year all the current registrations will get cancelled just before the new session starts in September, and the list of students is then rebuilt from new registrations, both from completely new students and from current students wishing to re-register for another year. There will also be updated conditions and posters available nearer the time. So students should wait until September before attempting to register for the new session.

Do I need to register for the lessons just to access the sheet music?

No. The sheet music is available to all forum members who have posted the required number of messages and subscribed to the appropriate usergroups. You can subscribe to group 002 after you have posted two messages on the forum and this gives you access to the scores at levels D01 to D03. For access to levels D04 and above, you need to subscribe to group 020 after you have posted at least 20 messages (see guidance here).

Registering for the lessons is only necessary if you wish to take part actively in the lessons, posting your recordings in the lessons topics and discussing them with other students.

Is it possible to follow the lessons as an observer?

Yes, you can access the lessons and related sheet music without having to register, assuming you are working on them on your own and don't need to join in actively in the classes. The advantages are that you can go more easily at your own speed if time is a problem, and that you are not bound by the various conditions; the disadvantage is that you don't get feedback from the other students. It can be a useful option if you have discovered the lessons very late in the year, when it is not practical to join up, and want to prepare yourself to join up in the next session.

LATE STARTERS:

Is it still possible to register even though the course started some time ago?

You can join up at any time during the year. Lessons start in September and appear at monthly intervals until April. The best time to start is with the initial group in September, but new members are joining the forum all the time and some of those will join the lessons some weeks or months later than the main group. The lessons rely on feedback from other students, and as long as there are a reasonable number of students working on the same lesson at the same time, there should be enough opportunity for reciprocal feedback, though if you join very late in the course you may find most students have moved on and there is hardly anyone to give feedback.

The lessons remain available until the end of August, and late-starters have until then to continue working through them. After that, the lessons are archived and the new session begins with the repeat of lesson 1. So if you start very late in the session, you may not have time to get right through the course. If you wish to continue at the same level in the new session, you will need to start again from lesson 1. So if, for instance, you only had time to get to lesson 4 in the old session, you can't just wait and pick up from lesson 5 in the new session, but need to follow the whole course again from lesson 1. That's something you may wish to take into account if deciding whether to start very late.

Rather than start very late in the session when it is too late to catch up, you may prefer to wait until September and join with the new session, and to use the remaining time until then to look through the existing lessons, learn from the discussions of the previous students, and practise by yourself, so that you will have a head start when the new session starts.

Does it matter that I will not have time to meet the conditions for the exam?

No. The exam, held in May, is entirely optional, and if you wish to sit it then you will need to have submitted your recordings of the required pieces for at least 7 of the lessons before the exam date. However, you can derive full benefit from the lessons without sitting the exam. The lessons remain available until the end of August, long after the exam has finished, so even if you are too late to sit the exam you can still continue working on the lessons.

LEVELS:

What is meant by levels (D01, D02, etc.)?

The levels D01, D02, etc., represent the level of difficulty of the music and the lessons. They are based on the syllabus at the music school where M. Delcamp teaches. The "D" just means that they are part of the Delcamp numbering and don't necessarily correspond exactly to other grading systems, and the numbers represent the year group following that stage of the syllabus, D01 for first-year students, D02 for second-years, etc. Within the Delcamp score collections, each level is progressive, so the D01 volume, for instance, starts with exercises for total beginners and gradually works up to material suitable for those approaching the end of their first year.

Do I need to register for a specific level?

No, you just register for the course, and it's then up to you which level you follow. Just be aware that in order to access the scores for levels D03 and above you need to have posted at least 20 messages and subscribed to the 020 usergroup (see details here).

Can I change levels once I've started?

Yes, students may start or leave a course at any time, so there is no problem if you find after a while that the level you chose was too hard or too easy and decide to switch to a different level. The only thing to bear in mind is that you would need to go back and start the new level from the first lesson of that level and catch up.

Can I follow more than one level at the same time?

Yes, you can follow more than one level at the same time, if you have the time to complete the required monthly tasks for both.

Which level would be the most suitable to start at?

The levels are based on music school classes, where D01 is for absolute beginners, D02 for the second year, etc. Students can choose which level to follow, and don't have to start with D01 if they are more advanced than that. If you've never had any formal lessons it's possible you may have picked up some bad habits from self-tuition, so starting at D01 is not a bad idea. Conversely if you are already quite advanced, you may find fellow students at the higher levels better able to offer constructive criticism on your technique.

If unsure which level is best for you, the best thing is probably to have a look through some of the previous lessons at various levels and the videos being posted there, and see which level seems sufficiently challenging without being too difficult. If the current session has only just started and there aren't many lessons to look through, you can see last year's course in full in the archives section of the online lessons here. When comparing levels, it's easier if you sort the lessons first by going to the bottom of the lessons forum page (or lessons archive page) and setting the drop-down menus to read "Sort by: Subject, Ascending", then click on Go just to the right of them.

And whichever level you follow, you can of course read through the other lessons in slower time to pick up any points there that may not be covered in your level.

What is meant by the 20 messages I have to post to access the higher score levels, and where do I post them?

These messages are just the questions, replies, or comments that you post anywhere on forum discussion topics. So you just need to look at some of the discussion topics on the forum and join in. Also, for instance, if you hear a recording you like, you can make a comment, or you can help to welcome other new members to the forum. Don't be tempted to post a lot of short, similar messages in succession, though, because they will not be counted towards group membership. It is better if you give some thought to them. It won't take long, once you start browsing the forum. (To subscribe to the group once you qualify, see the guidance here).

FAQs continued in next post ...
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: FAQs for lessons

Postby GeoffB » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:06 pm

WHAT TO DO IN THE LESSON:

How do I take part in the lessons?

After registering for the course, go to On-line classical guitar lessons and look for the first lesson at your chosen level, such as "D01 Classical guitar lesson 01", "D02 Classical guitar lesson 01", etc.

To find the relevant sheet music for the pieces in the lesson, follow the link given at the beginning of the lesson. When you've clicked on that, you'll see another link to the pdf file containing the music, listed immediately below the heading for the appropriate level. When you click on the pdf link, you normally get an option to Open or Save the file. Choose Save, and follow the normal procedure to save it to your computer for future use. If you print it out, it's advisable only to print out the pages you are working on that month, rather than the whole collection, because scores occasionally get updated between lessons.

When you've read M. Delcamp's lesson, in conjunction with the downloaded sheet music, the demonstration videos, and any comments, you should practise the pieces he asks you to prepare at the end of his lesson. After a week or so, record yourself playing them, and upload those recordings into a reply on the same topic where you found the lesson. If you read the replies after M. Delcamp's initial post, you'll see how the other students do it. If you need help in recording and uploading, try asking the other students, and I'm sure they'll be happy to explain how they do it.

There is no tutor feedback as such, because unfortunately M. Delcamp doesn't have the time to actively monitor all the students across all the courses on four different forums (and he does not speak English anyway - the lessons are all translated). The idea is that students listen to each others' recordings and give feedback to one another. So you should try to comment on any recordings that were posted fairly recently, and other students will reciprocate. After the feedback, you may wish to post a second, improved set of recordings before moving on to the next lesson.

How should I tune my guitar?

It is important to tune your guitar before playing. To sound right, a guitar should be tuned to an accuracy of a tenth of a Hertz. The correct frequencies are as follows:

E : 82,4 Hz
A : 110,0 Hz
D : 146,8 Hz
G : 196,0 Hz
B : 246,9 Hz
E : 329,6 Hz

There are various electronic tuners available, or with practice you can tune one string using a tuning fork and then tune the rest by ear. You can find several discussions of tuning methods on the forum, for instance here. There are also free online tuners that can help, including the following:

http://www.tunerr.com/ (for use with a PC microphone)
http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/utilities/tuner/ (provides reference tones for you to tune to)

How do I record myself for the lessons?

You will probably need to do some research to decide what methods and equipment to use for recording. A good place to start is here.

You can opt for audio-only, though video is more useful. If you're on a tight budget, you could even use your cellphone to record both video and audio. You don't necessarily need the best audio you can get, especially for the lower levels, as long as people can see and provide feedback on your posture, left and right hand positioning, etc. Buzzes and other problems can usually be spotted even in a low quality audio recording.

Do the recordings of the required pieces have to be video, or may they be audio-only?

A video is better, as it enables faults in posture and technique to be more easily spotted and pointed out, but if this is not possible then a sound recording is acceptable.

Where and how should I post my recordings of practice pieces for the lessons?

Recordings should be posted in the same thread as the relevant lesson, namely the threads titled "D01 Classical guitar lesson 01", etc. Those threads can be found here.

Instructions on attaching an mp3 file can be found here, and instructions on embedding a YouTube video here.

How do I make my Youtube videos viewable on the forum?

Log on to Youtube and go to your video
Click on Edit Video
Click on Settings
Under Privacy, choose "Public"
Just below the "Video Responses" box, there is a check box "external sites may embed this video".
Ensure that is checked.

Can I repost the recordings I made for the same lesson last year?

No. Students must not re-use earlier recordings, but should submit fresh recordings of the required pieces for each lesson.

What recordings can I post in lesson topics?

Only recordings of the lesson pieces by registered students should be posted in lesson topics.

What recordings can I post in Students' Corner?

Registered students may post here their own recordings of any pieces that don't infringe copyright (anything found in Delcamp collections is ok in that regard).

THE EXAM:

How is the final exam conducted and what exactly is tested?

Towards the end of the course, one set exam piece will be announced for each level. Students have a month to practise that piece, then post a recording of it in a particular topic on the Spanish forum. That is assessed by a panel of judges, and a diploma awarded as appropriate. In order to sit the exam, students must have submitted all the required recordings for at least 7 out of the 10 lessons that year.

How do I join the Spanish forum in order to sit the end of year exam?

Do not leave this until the last minute, as it can take several days to establish an account before posting your recording.

If you don't already have an account on the Spanish forum, click here to go straight to the registration process there.

Select your preferred language from the drop-down menu next to "Idioma:" and the page will update.

Accept the conditions by clicking on the first button.

Then fill in the registration form (using the same username and password as on the English forum).

In the final field, you need to answer a question which is designed to foil spambots. Currently it requires you to enter in numbers, not letters, the number of days in December. (If the question doesn't read "¿Cuantos días tiene Diciembre?", that means it's been changed, in which case you may need to copy and paste the new question into an online translator such as https://translate.google.com to see which answer is needed). Finally click on the Submit button to complete your registration.

To log in to the Spanish forum after that, starting from the index page of the English forum, click on the "Spanish forum" link at the top left of the page. The index page of that forum will appear. Notice the row of icons at the top right, like those on the English page. On the right is the familiar login icon. Click on the word to its right, "Identificarse". The login form comes up in Spanish, but all you need to do is to enter your username and password in the first 2 boxes as usual and click on the button below.

You should introduce yourself in the English miniforum there, and in due course apply to join their students group. To do this, look about half way down the index page for a forum called "International" and click on the word "English" in the list of its subforums. You can post your messages in English there, and will see plenty of familiar names already there, including an English moderator. Be aware that your initial messages will not appear straight away - they need to await approval by a moderator - but once one is approved you will be able to post normally. After you have posted 2 messages in that miniforum, you should subscribe to their 002 usergroup ("002 mensajes colocados"), which you will need in order to post attachments. You do this via the User Control Panel there in the same way as here. Post your application to join the students group, once you qualify to sit the exam, in the thread called "Registration for the Year-end Exam". You don't qualify to sit the exam until you have posted all the required pieces for at least 7 of the lessons. You should consult the list that will be posted by moderators after the 7th lesson is issued, in the post "Qualification for 20XX exams" (where 20XX is the relevant year), to make sure you are shown as qualifying, and raise any discrepancies as soon as possible. Please note that even if you were in the students group last year, you will need to apply again, as membership of the group lapses at the end of each year's course.

Carefully note the exam dates for your chosen level in the calendar in the first post of the Conditions for participating in the lessons. Do not post your exam piece before the opening date, or it will be disqualified, and do not leave it too late, especially if your timezone is later than GMT/UTC, since you may think you have a few hours left when in fact the exam period may already have ended at midnight GMT in France and Spain where the forum is hosted and the exam judged.

The topic where you post your exam piece will be in the Cursos de guitarra clásica en línea forum and will be called "D0X Examen de fin de curso" , where "X" is the relevant level (D01, D02, etc). The instructions for submitting your recording, and a reminder of the dates, is given in four languages at the beginning of the topic, and you should read these very carefully. Make sure you fulfil all the conditions there, and post during the correct dates.

I did the exam last year. Do I need to re-register to do this year's exam?

If your account on the Spanish forum is still active, then you don't need to register for the forum itself, but you will need to register again in the "Registration for the Year-end Exam" topic in the English mini-forum there, because last year's Alumnos (Students) group will have been disbanded and will be re-created from new registrations.

What is the benefit of the exam? Is it just to give you a way to gauge your own progress?

It is mainly a test of and a recognition of your progress and something to aim at, though of course it is not compulsory. If I'm not mistaken, the certificate does have official status in France, and would count towards your entrance requirements if you were to apply to study music there.

SCORE COLLECTIONS:

Can I print the collection of scores or there will be any problem with the copyrights?

You can print them for your own use, but should not distribute them to anyone else.

Would it be useful to print out the complete scores and create an index?

If following the lessons, it's usually best not to print out the whole volume of scores at the beginning, but only the specific ones set in each lesson as you come to it. M. Delcamp edits the pdfs from time to time, which is why he usually suggests that students download the latest version at the start of a lesson.

This also means that page numbers can change from one lesson to the next, so an index may eventually become out of date.

One way of finding a particular piece in the pdf is to expand the "bookmarks" area of the pdf to see a "contents" list. On Adobe reader there are two little icons at the top left, and if you click on the second one (the page with a bookmark on it), you get a listing of pieces by page number, and can click on one to go straight to it. They're not in alphabetical order, admittedly, but it's fairly easy to scan down the list for a particular composer and title. Clicking on the bookmark icon again closes the contents panel.

Is there a quick way of finding out when the scores have been updated?

Major updates to the pdfs are announced in the Updates and amendments topic, but there might be other minor updates not shown there.

Do the score collections contain any music theory, or just musical pieces?

The collections contain musical pieces and also exercises for technique, but not theory as such. There is a certain amount of theory in the online lessons, and also you'll find recommendations for suitable sources in various discussions in the Classical Guitar Classes section, for instance here.

SYMBOLS USED IN THE SCORES:

Why are some pieces marked with a tick in the top left corner and some not?

The original intention was to mark the essential pieces which every classical guitarist should have studied as part of the classical repertoire, though the markings have not been updated to reflect changes and additions to the pdfs, so the distinction is no longer so clear.

What is that long curving line over the top of the staff?

A long curving line over several bars of music is a phrase mark, used to indicate musical phrases. A musical phrase is a grouping of notes that makes sense as a unit, rather like a line in a song that you would sing in one breath. Generally, phrases can be practiced in isolation and still sound musical. This is not be be confused with a tie, which is a curving line joining two notes of the same pitch in adjacent bars, and indicating that these should be held as a single note for the combined length of the two notes.

What is the pinwheel/flower symbol that appears in some of the scores?

The symbol is borrowed from piano music and is used in the Delcamp scores to indicate that you should damp a string at that point to stop it from resonating any further (like lifting the sustain pedal on a piano). Otherwise some notes, especially on open strings, would ring on beyond their intended duration and cause discords with later notes. There are some variations indicating which finger to use to damp it with, as shown in the list of symbols near the beginning of each of the Delcamp score collections.

What is meant by the rectangular outlines around some passages?

They indicate passages that are considered particularly difficult (and replaced the earlier yellow highlighting method, which some members found caused problems when printing). A student should spend more of their practice time on these passages. Especially difficult parts are enclosed in a double outline.

What does the 8 under the G clef symbol mean?

This is called an octave clef, and indicates that the notes played on the guitar are in fact an octave lower than those written on the staff. In other words, if a pianist played from the same score, it would sound an octave higher than the notes a guitarist would play. This is a standard convention for practically all guitar music, to allow the music to be conveniently represented on a single staff, and is taken for granted to the extent that the octave clef symbol isn't always shown. When it is shown you can just ignore it and play as you normally would from a guitar score.
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Claudio Traino

Postby Claudio Traino » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:22 pm

Hi GeoffB.
I am following the D04 course in the Italian part of the forum. I'd like to follow the D04 course also in the English part but I don't have 20 messages here. I have much more than 20 in the Italian forum. Can I follow the course here or not?
Thank you in advance for your answer.
:bye:

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Postby Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:36 pm

Hi Claudio,

That's a question I've wondered about too. I think the only reason you would need to be in the 020 Group is so that you could download the D04 music. But, since the Delcamp Collection is the same on all of the forums, you already have it.

I'll go ahead and register you as an online student. Let us know if you have any problems accessing the D04 lessons.

Good luck!

Alan

Claudio Traino

Postby Claudio Traino » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:53 am

Dear Tarbaby, I want to thank you very much!!! I'll try to post the D04 course music in this forum. I think that it will be very useful to have the opinion of the other participants to the D04. This is not the only reason why I ask the login to the English forum, of course :oops: . I hope to participate actively to the discussions (very interesting) of this part of the Delcamp forum.
Many thanks again!!!
:bye:

CarlWestman

Postby CarlWestman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:49 am

Q: How long, on average, does it take to complete each of the lessons, assuming 30-45 min/day practice?
Yamaha CG101A
Cordoba Protégé C1 3/4
Washburn Rover RO20

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:30 am

The intention is that students will work on each lesson for approximately 4 weeks. After the first week, they are encouraged to upload a recording for feedback by the other students, and then to continue working on the pieces taking any such feedback into account, and possibly post another version of the recording towards the end of the 4-week period showing any improvements. Obviously students who are starting the course later and catching up with the others may wish to get through the earlier lessons more quickly if they can.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

IanCreighton

Postby IanCreighton » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:59 am

I have only just today registered for this forum, I would love to take advantage of the lessons however It says it is a closed group and is by invitation only is there any way I can become a part of this group? Or am I too late?

George Crocket

Postby George Crocket » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:09 am

Ian

I don't think it is too late. Have a look here for information about the conditions.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

IanCreighton

Postby IanCreighton » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:06 am

Thanks George I have messaged in the topic so hopefully I will be on board soon.

CarlWestman

Postby CarlWestman » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:32 am

Q: with respect to the required recordings, must they be video, or may they be audio-only? Obviously video would be best for a critique of hand position, fingering, etc., but I am finding that the video equipment at my ready disposal renders the sound of CG distorted and/or latent, noisy, etc. My best sound is coming from an audio-only recording method.
Yamaha CG101A
Cordoba Protégé C1 3/4
Washburn Rover RO20

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:39 am

Yes they can be audio only, though, as you said, video can be useful even if only for a few examples, so that any general faults in posture, etc., can be spotted.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

RachelVoe

Postby RachelVoe » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:31 am

It seems to me that this site has been changing somewhat recently and I was wondering if the posts are being "locked" after the new lesson is available now. If they are not, does that give more time to perfect a given lesson before going on or not? :?:

Thanks for your help.

-Rachel

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:42 am

Last year, M. Delcamp locked each lesson for a short while when he brought out the next one, in order to give a signal that the new one was ready, but unlocked them later to allow latecomers to catch up. This year he is not doing that. The ideal is still to complete each lesson in 4 weeks so that you will be on target to finish the course on time, particularly if you wish to take the end-of-year exam and gain the certificate. However, since not everyone started at the same time, there will inevitably be a number of students working their way through the lessons outside the specified schedule, and at various speeds.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

ShaneSingleton

Postby ShaneSingleton » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:14 pm

I've got a pretty good grasp on how the lesson postings work in order to qualify for the exams, but how do the final exams work? I'm sure the answer is really obvious and out in the open, but I just haven't been able to find anything on that topic.

Thank you.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”