FAQs for lessons

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Colin Bullock

Re: FAQs for lessons

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:38 pm

John Montes wrote:Hi Colin
If more than a day or greater have transpired it would be safer to make a subsequent post with the newer recording.
Thanks John, that will help speed up posting an initial attempt.

Eva Pakaki

Post by Eva Pakaki » Mon May 23, 2016 11:26 am

Hello guys :)

Is this the correct thread to subriscribe for the final exam?
http://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/ ... 45&t=16587

:merci:

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon May 23, 2016 4:30 pm

Yes it is, Eva.

In fact I see you were registered earlier here but it's as well to be sure. You know you are registered when you see the description "Alumno de los cursos en linea" after your name in your posts there.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

vincent martin

Post by vincent martin » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:59 am

Dear students, I'm already part of the French forum for the D05 course, but as the activity is quite low (I was the only one to post the -05), I was wondering if I could also share my work in the English session?

Thanks in advance

Vincent
D05 - French Forum

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:05 am

Hi Vincent, as you no doubt have fulfilled the requirements for the lessons at the French forum, you are very welcome to post your submissions here at the English lessons as well. Therefore I have added you to the Students' group.

It would be nice if you could introduce yourself in this section. Perhaps post an English translation of your introduction at the French forum? Thanks!
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

vincent martin

Post by vincent martin » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:39 pm

Thanks Marko, I did my introduction and will start the work in the D5/06
Much appreciated
D05 - French Forum

Kenneth Shumway
Student of the online lessons

Post by Kenneth Shumway » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:02 am

Hello. I plan to start this course as soon as enrollment begins. After looking over the archived materials, I do have a question about the course content. In my.youth, I participated in both school band groups and took private piano lessons. In addition to "learning the notes" and their corresponding fingerings or.keys and learning and practicing techniques, we also learned and practiced various pieces for concepts and recitals . Though it isn't realistic to have the participants.in these online lessons perform in formal recitals, do the pieces used in the lesons and the final exams constitute some equivalence in the quantity of pieces learned and the level of challenge as in the more conventional learning methods of the past?

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:26 am

Hello Kenneth. I'm not the best person to answer this, as I have no experience of the sort of past courses you're mentioning for comparison, but the aim behind the lessons is to bring you up to a similar standard as the students at a music school, starting from scratch, would reach after an equivalent number of years, with D01 covering year 1, D02 year 2, etc. You look at several pieces per monthly lesson, and submit your recordings of two or three of those pieces for feedback, but only prepare one piece towards the end of the course for the end-of-year exam, so whether you build up a "repertoire" of pieces over the year that you could use for a personal recital is up to you. You should find plenty of good pieces there in any case, with enough challenge for the level of the course that you choose.

Maybe a current or former student of the online lessons with previous lesson experience elsewhere would like to comment further.
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:58 pm

Most of the learning, technique, reading etc. comes through the assigned pieces. There are exercises too and a few tips each month. I think the intent is, and what I do, is to accumulate these exercises you are given and keep playing them each day in your practice.

Each piece and exercise is demonstrated with a video by Prof. Delcamp. The performance practice comes with the preparation of your videos each month for the assigned pieces. You will receive encouragement and tips from your fellow students. My only critique is O wish more teachers would chime in once in a while. But I guess teachers are just students with more experience. I thing the challenge is there, especially once you reach the higher levels. And as Geoff says, lots of very fine repertoire. Enjoy the courses
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Kenneth Shumway

Post by Kenneth Shumway » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:29 am

Thanks Geoff and Rick for your responses. They are helpful.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:10 am

In the French section of the forum Professor Delcamp was asked what a student would have expected to learn in each year's lessons, up to the time of the exam. The following is a translation of his reply which might also help prospective students decide which level is appropriate for them.

------------------
Here are the essential basics you should have acquired after these 7 months:

For the first year
Techniques: Correct posture and holding the instrument. Alternation of the index and middle fingers with the use of the thumb for the basses. Playing both apoyando (rest) and tirando (free) strokes. Two scales with ranges of 1 octave. Positions I to II. Ligado (slurs) - descending (pull off). Variation of volume from pianissimo up to mezzo forte. Variation of the timbre by playing at the rosette, the bridge and the fingerboard. String damping. Polyphony with 2 voices. Simultaneous rest stroke with the thumb and index finger, simultaneous rest stroke with the thumb and middle finger. Awareness of phrasing. Know how to hold a tempo. Be aware of the time signature and measure. Know how to improvise a brief melody in a given key.

In the second year, we add:
A few scales of 1 and 2 octaves. Scale in thirds over a range of a fifth. The positions I to V. Ligado (slurs) - descending (pull off) and ascending (hammer on). Alternation of index finger, middle finger and ring finger with the use of the thumb for the basses. The half-barre. Chords and arpeggios of 3 notes. Polyphony with 3 voices . Simultaneous rest stroke with the thumb and ring finger. Know how to improvise a melody on a given bass, with a given measure, in a given key.

In the third year, we add:
A few scales of 2 and 3 octaves. A scale in thirds for a range of 1 octave. The positions I to VII. The barre. Mordants and trills. Chords and arpeggios of 4 notes. Know how to improvise a melody and arpeggios on a given sequence of chords, with a given measure, in a given key.

During the examination, not all the techniques taught are necessarily part of the final piece. For example, this year the piece for D01 does not require the following techniques: Descending ligado (pull offs). Know how to improvise a brief melody in a given key.

Maria Anisimova

Post by Maria Anisimova » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:26 pm

This might be a silly question, but still... I think I'd like to join the on-line lessons community, but the problem is that for a number of reasons I use a so called "silent guitar". And for the same reasons I can't use amplifiers and a microphone for recording. That means that when I make a recording into the computer (using line-in) I am obliged to add minimal post-processing, at least an amplifier effect. Will such recording qualify for the lessons and later for the exam? Thank you.
Yamaha SLG N100

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:44 pm

Hi Matilda. I'm sorry, but I'm afraid recordings using silent guitar are not allowed for the lessons or the exam (or indeed anywhere on the forum). If you can't use a classical or acoustic guitar, the only option is to follow the lessons privately, as an observer, rather than as part of the class. Unfortunately that means you won't be getting any feedback on your progress, but you should still find the lessons useful, and even reading feedback on other students' recordings can be helpful.
Classical Guitar Forum.

Maria Anisimova

Post by Maria Anisimova » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:24 pm

OK, that's a pity, especially that it took me two years to pluck up my courage and decide to apply for the on-line course. But I guess it can't be helped. One more thing I'd like to make sure of. You wrote I can't post recording of silent guitar anywhere in the forum. OK. Can I leave links to other sites, like Youtube to my recordings? Or will it be against the rules? I am not sure I'll be doing it, but just in case.
Thank you.
Yamaha SLG N100

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:50 pm

Sorry to disappoint you. Direct links to individual recordings anywhere on silent guitar wouldn't be allowed, I'm afraid, though you could perhaps make a general reference to your YouTube channel depending on the context of the post. If a specific instance comes up, feel free to PM me and check.
Classical Guitar Forum.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”