FAQs for lessons

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Maria Anisimova
Student of the online lessons

Re: FAQs for lessons

Post by Maria Anisimova » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:25 am

Dear Geoff, forgive me for being a nuisance. But still I'd like to clarify a couple of things. After experimenting with various microphones I found a way to record my silent guitar directly with an audio mike, so no processing of audio signal is required. Of course the sound is not so great, as you can guess, but still... Do you think such recordings will qualify for on-line lessons? Or is the root of the problem a silent guitar per se? Not the way of recording? I promise it's the last time I am pestering you with this silent guitar issue. If it still is not an option I'll settle for being am observer.
Yamaha SLG N100

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:31 pm

Hi Matilda, the problem is in the way of producing and recording the sound, rather than the instrument. The sound needs to be produced acoustically, i.e. transmitted from the vibrating strings via airwaves alone. If you can get sufficient sound out of the unamplified strings of the silent guitar using an acoustic microphone which is external to the instrument, rather than being attached to or in contact with it, then that would be acceptable under the rules, though, as you say, the result may not be that great.
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Maria Anisimova

Post by Maria Anisimova » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:56 pm

Great! That gives me a chance. External mike not attached to the instrument, unamplified sound of the strings. So be it! Thank you, now I understand what problems I have to solve before I can apply for the course. I'll go on with my experiments and if I succeed, I apply.
Yamaha SLG N100

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:11 pm

OK, Matilda, good luck!
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:45 pm

Matilda wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:56 pm
Great! That gives me a chance. External mike not attached to the instrument, unamplified sound of the strings. So be it! Thank you, now I understand what problems I have to solve before I can apply for the course. I'll go on with my experiments and if I succeed, I apply.
If you want to record a short section eg 20s and post it in Students' Corner I will listen and see what it's like.
Which level are you interested in?

Maria Anisimova

Post by Maria Anisimova » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:26 pm

Thank you, Collin. You are being too kind to me. But I'll surely post my sample in the Students' Corner for your consideration as soon as I have finished experimenting. I guess, a couple more mikes and and a couple more days. And may be I am being too ambitious, but I am thinking of Level 5. I've completed Levels 3 and 4 as an observer actually.
Yamaha SLG N100

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:26 am

Dear Admins and Mods,

I am wishing to finish D01, lessons 8, 9, 10. I completed D01, Lessons 1 to 7, and the final exam (D01).

I have recently uploaded lesson 8, and I am now ready to upload lessons 9 and 10, but I noticed that those sections in the lesson forum are locked. Is there any way for me to upload my recordings, so that I can get closure to D01 and feedback on my pieces? Also, I am considering repeating some of D01 lessons, especially the early ones because I believe I can play them better now.

My questions:

Will those locked lesson forum sections be made available soon for upload?

Should I just go on to D02 and forget about D01?

Thanks for the continual support and awesome lessons, Regards, Nelson.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:32 am

Hi Nelson,

Last year's session is now closed, so you won't be able to post any more recordings from that year into those lesson threads. They will be reopened when the lessons next become due, (lessons 8, 9 and 10 will be reopened in April, May and June respectively next year), but that will be for students who are just starting now and following this year's course. If you wish to post your remaining recordings somewhere for comment, you could post them in Students' Corner. Apart from that it would probably be best to go on to D02 now, and maybe revise some D01 in your own time.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”