Students' Corner

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Georgi Chernishov
Student of the online lessons

Re: Students' Corner

Post by Georgi Chernishov » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:38 am

Hello everyone! Having completed D01 I would like to play some tunes (that are within the abilities I have acquired during the course) in the summer. What would you recommend?

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:30 am

Georgi Chernishov wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:38 am
Hello everyone! Having completed D01 I would like to play some tunes (that are within the abilities I have acquired during the course) in the summer. What would you recommend?
Hi Georgi
I would start by looking at the pieces that are in D01 but were not part of the lessons, they will give you good sight reading practice. Also, did you work on all the pieces from each lesson or just those that needed submitting? Well worth revisiting any that you didn't work up to a good flowing performance.

mChavez

Post by mChavez » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi All,

As I wrote in the "Introductions" section a few weeks ago, I am looking to get back into playing the guitar and I have started looking at the lessons section.

I used to play the guitar before taking a 10 year break, but my technique has never been particularly good and I mostly used the pick rather than fingernails. As a result of that, my left hand technique is very poor and I am looking to re-learn.
What would be your recommendations in regard to the lessons? Start from scratch? I find it a bit hard to motivate myself to play old macdonald on one string, even though I understand that I am working on the left hand technique and what tune I am playing doesn't really matter.

Also, I note that the first lessons teach apoyando - what is the benefit of it compared to tirando and when would I want to use apoyando instead?

Thank you,

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:55 am

mChavez wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:28 pm
What would be your recommendations in regard to the lessons? Start from scratch?
I would recommend starting at D01.
Old Mc Donald is boring, but short and you soon move on. The benefit is developing the coordination between R & L hands, sight reading, and damping techniques - which is not usually taught in other courses.
Apoyando gives you a wider range of tone and dynamics, and can be used to damp adjacent strings. Learning to switch between this and tirando is an important technique.

By the way, I found Old McD surprisingly hard at the time.

Look forward to seeing you next term.

Georgi Chernishov
Student of the online lessons

Post by Georgi Chernishov » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:11 am

Colin Bullock wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:30 am
Georgi Chernishov wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:38 am
Hi Georgi
I would start by looking at the pieces that are in D01 but were not part of the lessons, they will give you good sight reading practice. Also, did you work on all the pieces from each lesson or just those that needed submitting? Well worth revisiting any that you didn't work up to a good flowing performance.
Colin, thank you for your good advice. You are right - I have not worked on all the pieces :) I will work on them.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”