Students' Corner

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Binh NguyenKhac
Student of the online lessons

Re: Students' Corner

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:00 pm

Hi Nelson, I watched all of your videos and congratulation. You play with ease and musically, you also try different tone - move your right hand up and down the board! Good job! (praise first :D)

One thing I noticed through all of your videos is your left pinky is not independent: whenever you push your right ring finger, you pinky aslo moves. And that's not good. Left ring finger and pinky must move independently. That means: if one moves, the other stays (doesn't move) and vise versa. You need to tackle that problem by
1. Acknowledge you still have stiff left pinky.
2. Focus: when you push your ring finger, does your pinky move? If it does move, then relax, close your eyes and think about sweet moments in your life to help you relax. Practice super slowly, the goal is to remove bad habit that stayed so long in your brain and make a new one. Keep your eyes on the pinky.
3. Practice some exercises to solve that problem. I often try to hold down my left middle on the first string fret 2(smallest string), and practice walking with my pinky and ring finger on fret 3 and 4 (just like when you practice your right hand middle and index).
4. It takes weeks or months to solve this habit, be patient.

Here are some pictures:

1. Your left pinky in relax position

http://www.upsieutoc.com/image/T95LzQ

2. Your left pinky in stiff position

http://www.upsieutoc.com/image/T95eyD
3. Your left pinky moved after when your ring pushed the string ( not good)
http://www.upsieutoc.com/image/T95FYr

watch this video and her pinky, (it doesnt move when she moves her ring - your goal- but hers still stiff tho, you want it curls in your first picture)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtRM0g9EIp4 Her pinky moves because her whole hand moves not because it moves by itself.

Awesome works nevertheless, Nelson! I enjoy your playing and looking forward for your next videos. (polite ending hehe :D)

Best regards
Binh.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:24 am

Hello Nelson. Well, here goes. I initially felt (and still do somewhat ) that you played everything well. I am struggling to actually provide any meaningful critique /input.

While listening I kept thinking "his guitar sounds like a steel stringed instrument "....... Thinking about the "pinky " comment made earlier (finger is curled), I'm thinking you may be hooking strings? Initially I was going to suggest you try and relax your right hand. However I am not sure this is the case. I think you're hooking, or to put it another way, plucking outwardly from the guitar. Watch your hand position when playing and see if this is the case.

Otherwise I think you play VERY well.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:35 pm

I just recorded this video, that explain my idea more clearly. Hope this helps:

Youtube

Try to use right hand ring and middle, if you want more challenge (use the right index and middle first, the focus is on the left hand.)

Andrei Puhach

Re: Finishing D01 Lesson Series => Lesson 9 Closure <=

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:13 am

Nelson Lee wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:35 pm
Hi Everyone. I am finishing up the lesson series (lessons 8,9,10) in D01. I am using Student's Corner for this since these lessons in the forum have been locked and GeoffB suggested this.

The following videos are my D01-09 Lesson pieces with the following focus:

1. Start with slow tempo, tapping the beat, internalizing the beat. Increase tempo when rhythm and the beat are together.
2. Left hand lower knuckles parallel and close to fingerboard, and fingers curved.
3. Right hand fingers puck at an angle to guitar strings.
4. Experiment with guitar posture. Left leg positioned closer to center. Guitar at 45 degree. Headset at eye level.
5. Shape piece by experimenting with dynamics and tone. Play soft/loud. RH position to bridge and fingerboard.

I have included video with and without metronome beats. Moreover, I counted the beats with the metronome while playing.

Please feel free to give me feedback. Thanks so much for the support, Nelson.
Hi Nelson, thanks for working on non-mandatory pieces :)
Overall your playing is good, you vary dynamics and tone.
For now, I'd like to comment on Valse en sol majeur Page 48: you count 1, 2, 3, and, 1, 2, 3, and... So, it is not 3/4 any more, it is 4/4. I did not look into the sheet music yet, but I think it is worth revisiting the rhythm.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:17 am

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:35 pm
I just recorded this video, that explain my idea more clearly. Hope this helps:

Youtube

Try to use right hand ring and middle, if you want more challenge (use the right index and middle first, the focus is on the left hand.)
Haha, what happened, Binh? Your cat stole the meat?? :D :lol:

Btw, that's very cool to provide video feedbacks, I like the idea!
Cordoba C9

Nelson Lee

Re: Finishing D01 Lesson Series => Lesson 9 Closure <=

Post by Nelson Lee » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:27 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:13 am
Hi Nelson, thanks for working on non-mandatory pieces :)
Overall your playing is good, you vary dynamics and tone.
For now, I'd like to comment on Valse en sol majeur Page 48: you count 1, 2, 3, and, 1, 2, 3, and... So, it is not 3/4 any more, it is 4/4. I did not look into the sheet music yet, but I think it is worth revisiting the rhythm.
Hi Andrei,

Thanks for the feedback. You are correct about my counting! I played 3/4, then when I counted the beats I changed it to 4/4! Why did I do this? :shock: I will correct this. Thanks for the keen observation. Regards, Nelson :)

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:37 am

Dear Binh,

Thanks for recording the pinky exercise so that I can break my LH ring finger and pinky problem. It's a wonderful exercise and I will work at it. Regards, Nelson

JohnEllis

Re: Finishing D01 Lesson Series =>Lesson 8 Closure<=

Post by JohnEllis » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:42 pm

Nelson Lee wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:11 pm
Hi Everyone. I am finishing up the lesson series (lessons 8,9,10) in D01. I am using Student's Corner for this since these lessons in the forum have been locked and GeoffB suggested this.

The following videos are my D01-08 Lesson pieces with the following focus:

1. Start with slow tempo, tapping the beat, internalizing the beat.
2. Increase tempo only if rhythm and the beat are together.
3. Shape piece by experimenting with dynamics and tone. Play soft/loud. RH position to bridge and fingerboard.

Again, I have included video with and without metronome beats. I also counted the beats with the metronome while playing.

Please feel free to give me feedback. Thanks so much for the support, Nelson.

Arpeggios Page 57-12

Youtube

Minuet Page 39

Youtube

Fails Dodo, Colas Mon P'tit Frere Page 42

Youtube

"From the Past"
I have included two pieces from a earlier lesson. I tried incorporating the what I learned musically to these pieces.

A La Claire Fontaine Page 8

Youtube

Old Mac Donald Page 9

Youtube
Nice work, Nelson.
Some specific feedback:
1) Arpeggios Page 57-12: Good note separation and tempo. As you progress in your studies, you could try to control the thumb more from the larger muscle group (one way to look at it is to think of a squeezing movement more than a push a button movement).

2) Minuet Page 39: Good movement of the hand from sul tasto to sul ponticello and vice versa. Better thumb control.
Still some tension in your pinky. One way to work on it is to relax it and let it move with your ring finger (think of you annular and pinky as one finger and move them together, that way the pinky doesn't create opposing tension).

3) Fails Dodo, Colas Mon P'tit Frere Page 42, A La Claire Fontaine Page 8, and Old Mac Donald Page 9:
Nice work. Notice that in these pieces, where you didn't use the ring finger, you pinky stayed put, which is good.

Overall a good, earnest effort.
If music be the food of love, play on. --Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, 1.1

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:44 pm

Dear John, Thanks for the exceptional observation in your feedback. I will work on the squeezing thumb and the relax pinky. Best regards, Nelson

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”