Article on hearing loss and classical guitar

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Joe de V

Re: Article on hearing loss and classical guitar

Postby Joe de V » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:20 pm

As a sideline to this subject I like to add that in my own experience as a player with "severe to profound" hearing loss who needs Hearing Aids in my daily life - I will be 86 on my next birthday - I find the Analog Hearing Aid more helpful to me when playing. Why is that you will ask?
I do use the digital state of the art Aids for everything else but when referring to music the Analog does not distort (either slightly sharp or flat) the actual frequency of the notes played. I consorted my ENT MD as well as the Audiologist at my local Hospital and they do acknowledge that this is a common remark from other string performing players. Is there any member here with experience of this issue?

hpaulj

Postby hpaulj » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:57 pm

Donna Leon's first detective novel, Death at la Fenice, centers around this problem. La Fenice is the famous Venice opera house, and the victim in this book is a famous conductor who dies of cyanide (in his coffee) during a La Traviata intermission.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Postby Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:10 am

Joe, did you ever try a music program with your digital hearing aids? Basically it will eliminate compression and other features that are great in everyday life situations but make playing/hearing music less than optimal. they will still boost those frequencies that match your particular hearing loss. I always wear hearing aids in music program while I play.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Charles Mokotoff

Postby Charles Mokotoff » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:42 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:Joe, did you ever try a music program with your digital hearing aids? Basically it will eliminate compression and other features that are great in everyday life situations but make playing/hearing music less than optimal. they will still boost those frequencies that match your particular hearing loss. I always wear hearing aids in music program while I play.

Exactly what I do.

Joe de V

Postby Joe de V » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:52 am

[quote="Jeffrey Armbruster"]Joe, did you ever try a music program with your digital hearing aids? Basically it will eliminate compression and other features that are great in everyday life situations but make playing/hearing music less than optimal. they will still boost those frequencies that match your particular hearing loss. I always wear hearing aids in music program while I play.

Hello Jeffrey: At home I have "tested" both types - Analog and Digital. When I am alone in the house listening to orchestra music I prefer the Analog - with the only feature being the Volume Control. When there are other distractions - people and wife talking on the phone, etc I use the digital for the music since its feature lets me - to certain extend - eliminate other distracting noises.
When I practice my CG or play the Baritone Ukulele or my Alto Recorder I am alone in our "music room" and I still prefer the Analog Unit for these sessions. I do play with different ensemble groups - Guitar - Ukulele - Recorder - away from home, in those events I need to use my Digital Units.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Postby Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:17 am

Joe, I'm still curious as to whether you have a dedicated music program on those digital aids?

I understand that there are folks who prefer analog for music.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Joe de V

Postby Joe de V » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:Joe, I'm still curious as to whether you have a dedicated music program on those digital aids?

Yes I own two digitals - full in the ear shells - and both were have an option set up for music. The Digital Units cost more than the Analog of course
but for music - and particularly if you are a student practicing in a quiet home environment I still prefer the Analog Unit.

A side remark for what is worth:.. I tried the "Behind the Ear" Units for both types and found that for me - have small ears with not too much separation from my head and I wear glasses when reading music - they did not work out too well since wearing glasses "crowded" the space and
the Aids kept falling off my ears. :lol:
Last edited by Joe de V on Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe de V

Postby Joe de V » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Joe de V wrote:
Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:Joe, I'm still curious as to whether you have a dedicated music program on those digital aids?

Yes I own 2 digital - full in the ear shells - and both have an option set for music. The Digital Units cost more than the Analog of course
but for music - and particularly if you are a student practicing in a quiet home environment I still prefer the Analog Unit.
The dedicated music programming still - in my own way of thinking after home testing with different guitar tuning units - were slightly off the true MHz of the notes played. That is the Only advantage for me anyhow, that the Analog offers - It gives me a true Note Frequency Sound.

Another observation for what is worth:.. I tried the "Behind the Ear" Units for both types and found that for me - have small ears with not too much separation from my head, I wear glasses when reading music - they did not work out too well since wearing glasses "crowded" the space and
the Aids kept falling off my ears.I don't mind wearing Full Shell Aids in public. (some people do).
I bowl at a Senior Bowling League and about half of the bowlers wear the Behind The Ear Units. I am the only one with Full Shell In The Ear Unit.
In a couple of occasions I was told by staff workers that they did not notice my Units since the Shell matched by skin color and most people don't look at ears in conversations.Apparently those members wearing BTE units are recognized due to the way they are placed and connected to the ear.
At my senior age comfort and utility are more important than appearance :D

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:01 am

Charles Mokotoff wrote:Thanks..ha...some of the greatest artists have been lunatics! ;)

Some of us may have schizophrenia, but I don't know that Makes us great artists.
Ramirez George Harrison 2012 SP/IRW
Ramirez 4NE 2011 CD/IRW
Ramirez 125 an~os 2011 CD/IRW
Kremona F65CW TL CD/IRW

Guitar-ded

Postby Guitar-ded » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:40 am

Thanks for the interesting info Charles.
I'm going through a bit of this myself at the moment. A few months ago I woke at 2 a.m. with a high pitched noise in my right ear, around F# for those who wonder. Some hours later the noise ceased as did my hearing in that ear. After various courses of pills and an MRI nothing has changed. The prognosis is that I will remain deaf in that ear. Apparently this is common with sudden onset hearing loss. This came out of nowhere, there having been no previous ear problems of any type. It just goes to show that you never know what's around the corner.
On the plus side it can come in handy at times, "what dear? didn't hear you dear, sorry".
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

chrisphattingh

Postby chrisphattingh » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:50 am

On a previous visit to this forum I read about a person who had a cochlea transplant and playing classical guitar afterwards!
I searched but cannot find the thread, any help would be appreciated.

Charles Mokotoff

Postby Charles Mokotoff » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:24 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster

Postby Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:09 pm

Charles, that's an amazing thread concerning the cochlear implant! It made my morning.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

slidika

Postby slidika » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:22 pm

Great article! And since I have tinnitus, who knows . . . ? :merci:
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

Charles Mokotoff

Postby Charles Mokotoff » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:56 pm

slidika wrote:Great article! And since I have tinnitus, who knows . . . ? :merci:

The odds are quite against you losing as much hearing as I did when I was younger. Don't worry about it, but do enjoy what you have!

Return to “The Café”