Discomfort in stomach

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
kirolak

Discomfort in stomach

Postby kirolak » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:56 am

Lately I find I experience some discomfort, like indigestion, in my stomach when I play too soon after a meal . . does anyone else find this? :shock: It's quite annoying, as I feel weak until I eat breakfast (usually a bowl of rice with vegan Quorn) & I usually practice early as I generally work afternoon shifts until 9pm.

Andrew Pohlman

Re: Discomfort in stomach

Postby Andrew Pohlman » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:34 pm

Never. However, I can't do vocals for about 2 hours after eating, else belches come up at the most inopportune times... :shock: :oops:
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Luuttuaja

Postby Luuttuaja » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:32 pm

I have had some sort of stomach discomfort once or twice while playing, but only when I have eaten simply too much.

khayes

Postby khayes » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:26 pm

I think you're supposed to wait an hour after eating before playing :)
Ken

tcee

Postby tcee » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:35 am

I also had stomach/intestinal problems when I played without a foot stool, which I did for several years. Do you have one?

kirolak

Postby kirolak » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:33 am

Thanks for the responses! Yes, I do use a footstool at its highest setting.

And the advice to wait an hour before playing makes sense.

khayes

Postby khayes » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:53 pm

kirolak wrote:...

It was just a joke - here in the U.S. (or maybe just the southern U.S.) we have a saying that our mothers often used, that we should always wait an hour after eating before going swimming.
Ken

Bill B

Postby Bill B » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:06 pm

when my playing is nauseating it usually has nothing to do with recent meals.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

astro64

Postby astro64 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:42 pm

Get a guitar support and dump the footstool. At least worth a try.

Luuttuaja

Postby Luuttuaja » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:43 pm

I think the footstool at highest setting might have something to do with the discomfort. I second the suggestion of trying a guitar support. While the comment about waiting an hour before playing was a joke (we do have this swimming advice also in Finland), I'm certainly not at my best playing just after eating, since the food might make tired and it's not easy to focus on demanding practicing then.

kirolak

Postby kirolak » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:08 pm

khayes wrote:
kirolak wrote:...

It was just a joke - here in the U.S. (or maybe just the southern U.S.) we have a saying that our mothers often used, that we should always wait an hour after eating before going swimming.

It must be universal, my mother said the same thing! And also called me out of the sea because it was raining & I might get wet!! 8)

simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby simonm » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:43 pm

kirolak wrote:… usually a bowl of rice with vegan Quorn ....

I know there are all sorts of different breakfast foods. In the US people put syrup on bacon which I find totally repulsive and lots of fast food places in Europe now sell bacon and cheese croissants - equally repulsive. Many nationalities have a savory soup and so on. But to be honest "Quorn" is one of those industrial products that I find to be beyond repulsive. Despite it being "industrial vegan", I cannot imagine it being good for you. Vegan meat substitutes are hideous oxymorons. :-)

My suggestion would be to switch to fruit with your rice. You must be able to get pretty good fresh fruit in S.A. Vary it with the seasons. Ideally try and get local stuff. The fruit for national/international distribution is not as ripe and is treated in various ways to make it last longer and look nice. Less perfect looking local fruit is most likely riper and tastier.

After eating people get dozy due to changes in blood alkalinity. If you are having a social meal over a hour or more, you might not notice but if you eat in 10 mins by yourself you will notice that you get a warm glow and feel like a snooze maybe 15-20 mins after eating. Warm milk even if it is in the form of a large milky coffee knocks me out pretty quickly for example.

The reason why so many cultures warn about swimming is I believe because as your digestive system is working hard initially after eating, you are in danger of getting stomach cramps which are clearly not a great idea in the water especially in colder countries or places where there are currents. It maybe an urban legend but there maybe some truth in it. Swimming in a cold sea or lake would not be a good place to test whether it is true or. A foot stool is certainly going to cause you to squeeze your tummy which surely won't be beneficial after a meal.

I know a number of people who just have watered down fresh lemon juice in the morning (room temperature water) or even just luke warm water first thing in the morning and don't eat for anything from an hour to four hours afterwards. Not sure of the logic but maybe you could do something similar and have "breakfast/brunch" after your guitar practice.

kirolak

Postby kirolak » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:15 pm

Thank you for that very sensible advice! Actually, I often cringe at the quorn, it tastes like the smell of meat & why do they make a vegan food LOOK like meat anyway. But my daughter loves it so I just go along with her.

The lemon juice in water is something I used to do, but somehow I've dropped the habit - will re-instate it!

Return to “The Café”