Question for Cat Lovers

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Intune

Question for Cat Lovers

Post by Intune » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:48 pm

Ever since he was a kitten, our neighbor's outdoor Maine coon cat has been stopping at our back door during his daily rounds of the neighborhood, and we've gotten in the habit of feeding him -- which more or less ensures that he'll return often. We normally put out a small bowl of a dozen or so "Temptations" brand chicken-flavored treats, which most days he devours eagerly. However -- and here is the reason I write -- he never empties the bowl completely as one might expect, but instead always leaves one solitary uneaten treat behind. My wife and I are intrigued by this behavior...leaving one treat behind for some inexplicable feline reason. Do other cats do this, or is it peculiar to him? Does this behavior have some symbolic or even practical importance for him? Is there some explanation? I welcome all hypotheses from you legions of cat lovers out there.

PS -- Moreover, this cat utterly detests guitar music, and I have to hide my instrument during his visits lest he flee out the door in panic. (Hopefully it's not my playing that he's fleeing!)
Last edited by Intune on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

bear

Re: Question for Cat Lovers

Post by bear » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:08 pm

I have the remnants of a guitar hanging on my back door and I don't have any cat problems. I'd never made the connection before, I just thought it was my GSD that kept them away.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:47 pm

My cat 'sings' along with me the other 3 just sleep through my playing.

Never heard of the one treat left behind but mine only eat as much as they want and will leave food when they are full. I always leave dried food down for them and only on a couple of occasions when it's been really cold outside has it all gone. They do have a catflap so they might have invited 'friends' in from the cold.

Does your neighbour know you're feeding her/his cat? It's really important they do incase the cat has food allergies or needs to be on a special diet.. My daughter's cat is allergic to wheat so all of the cat food must be cereal free. Also if the cat stops eating at home and you are feeding it the owners might become worried and take the cat to the vet thinking its ill. One of the first questions the vet asks when I take mine is ' is he eating?'.

Intune

Post by Intune » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:00 pm

Muirtan, yes, the neighbors know we feed him -- been doing so for years without any issues. Besides, we just give him a small amount...only a taste really.
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:27 pm

It is my understanding that animals, and humans too, have variable eating patterns. Some will continue eating, if given unlimited food, until they literally kill themselves - more with horses than cats. Other animals eat what they need and stop. Many people are aware of the "big game hunter" mode where the cat wants to bring its kills into the house to eat and show off to their humans. That is a kitty idiosyncrasy to be sure. I have never heard of or seen a cat that leaves one tidbit behind - consistently. But predators have bigger brains and can think abstractly, so who knows what is going on in their feline thinking processes? I would just accept that as a behavior specific to that individual kitty.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

kervoas

Post by kervoas » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:01 pm

It's a question of upbringing. Classy cats are taught from an early age that it's polite to leave a little on the plate to show that they have had enough, however delicious it might have been.
As for guitars, they are great for the sharpening of claws if left standing about.
“The only escapes from the miseries of life are music and cats”
Albert Schweitzer

dng

Post by dng » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:18 pm

We always have cats in our house and in the yard.. at one point we had 7 cats...

I guess that the cat left a piece of food in the bowl to attract mice. For a cat food is good but a mouse is fun to play with and good to eat too. Our cats do that and time to time we found remain of dead mouse near the bowl...

:D
"Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two.”
-Frederic Chopin

Kent

Post by Kent » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:24 pm

Every answer so far is absolutely correct.
That is why we will never figure out cats.

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:42 pm

I'm a cat person and have done much fun research on the feline personality over the years. I know that my two current cats will rarely empty their feed bowl - they almost always leave a few pieces. I remember reading that it might be a behavior related to the survival instinct..."saving some for later..." kind of thing.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Kent wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:24 pm
Every answer so far is absolutely correct.
That is why we will never figure out cats.
:lol:

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:38 pm

Cats love those treats because they're all salt ... on the pack that I use it recommends 6 a day ... 12 a day (plus what he's scrounging from all the other neighbours) could be bad for his kidneys ...
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:29 pm

With 4 cats there is rarely a morsel left on the saucers. :lol:
Help!

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:47 pm

Tubbers wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:29 pm
With 4 cats there is rarely a morsel left on the saucers. :lol:
Ahem ... they do not eat the saucers?!?! :D Our cat, Xena Warrior Kitty, would lick the saucer vigorously, and in so doing, push it all the floor and around the kitchen. There was nothing visible on it. But it must have tasted really good!

Leitmotiv

Post by Leitmotiv » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:00 pm

My cat has a feeding time trick, where she turns her nose up at whatever I place in front of her, expecting something more to her taste. There is a brand called 'Choosey' I think; maybe I should get that. So I place another thing down, and at that, she may well walk off. When I look a few hours later, both meals are gone. Can anyone recommend a brand of cat food or meat cats love? The stuff I buy looks like offal with a flavour added.

Leitmotiv
"...the wonderful ease of masters" - Albert Camus

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:32 pm

Leitmotiv wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:00 pm
My cat has a feeding time trick, where she turns her nose up at whatever I place in front of her, expecting something more to her taste. There is a brand called 'Choosey' I think; maybe I should get that. So I place another thing down, and at that, she may well walk off. When I look a few hours later, both meals are gone. Can anyone recommend a brand of cat food or meat cats love? The stuff I buy looks like offal with a flavour added.

Leitmotiv
I don't want to sound like a monster, but the problem is not kitty preference. Try Starvation® brand cat food. There is only the aroma of sardines in the can. Two days of that, your cat will be a voracious eater! If withholding food seems too brutal, just give far smaller portions so your kitty becomes very hungry. You can also offer a few kitty treats after the main course is eaten, that way, your cat gets good nutrition and tasty treats!

Return to “The Café”