Must-see and needn't-see in your local area

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Gorn

Must-see and needn't-see in your local area

Post by Gorn » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:54 pm

I hereby try to start a collection of alternate holiday suggestions - if possible away from guidebooks - and maybe some further information.

Something like that:
I live in Munich, Bavaria, Germany. That's hard, because everything nice to see is published a million times on all kinds of media. So I better start with THE needn't-sees:
Oktoberfest: Don't do that to yourself - you won't miss anything. It's nothing better than spring break in stupid pseudo-traditional uniforms
Neuschwanstein (New Swanstein?): it's always crowded and you'll wait a long time. Look at it from half a mile away and then drive to Schloss Linderhof, which is a few kilometres away. Very idyllic and not so crowded. Avoid weekends, anyway,

Okay, back to Munich:
Biergarten (beer garden): The most renowned invention since the discovery of fire. You'll find it only in and around Munich. It's the embodiment of the Bavarian Gemütlichkeit (cosiness). You can bring your own food with - but no pizza!!! That means cutlery, plates, a tablecloth, a basket full of cheese, sausage, ham, radish, potato salad, pretzels (the Bavarian soft ones) and so on. It's a picnic sitting at a table under usually horse chestnut trees. Only the beverage has to be bought there (self-service; beer mug = 1 litre). Of course, you can also buy food there. I recommend to try Obatzder (a pile of mangled camembert+butter+spices with onion rings on it).
You sit, drink, talk, watch other people and let the time go by, peacefully. Don't go to the well-known big ones in the guidebooks (Hirschgarten etc.), better look for less known small ones. See http://www.biergärtenmünchen.de/Hauptseite. If you're not sure where to go, just send me a message. Best time is August, because all the Munich-ers and -ettes are in holidays. You will get a seat at every time of the day in every garden.
By the way, there's a song called Cosiness by the band Zampone in nearly every downloadshop and streaming-site, which is an Ode To The Biergarten. I wrote and recorded it together with my wife when producing a pop music album a couple of years ago. The mastering could be better, mea culpa!

Bad weather? Go to the Deutsches Museum (German museum) in Munich. Of course, it's not an insder tip, but there is a wonderful hall full of historical instruments inside. That's marvellous!

The Alps: Bavaria's mountains are not spectacular. Go to Switzerland, if you can afford it. If not, go to the southside. That is Aosta Valley, Italy. You can see the impressive side of the Matterhorn, there. And you can get very close to it by car :D

And the rest of Germany? Yes there's one thing that's REALLY worth visiting Germany. It's the Miniatur Wunderland (miniature wonderland) in Hamburg. The guys building this world's largest model railway simply are totally nuts. You won't believe what technical / craftsman freaks can manage unless you've seen that. For me it's not the trains, what interests me. It's the model landscape, the 100% self-devoloped technical installation, self-written automatic computer controls and - of course - thousands of little scenes of model people, many of them really funny, many bawdy...
I believe that every luthier's heart will go up when seeing with how much love of detail the whole area was built. Many, many parts like bridges etc. are made of of wood.
You need one day, at least. And minimum one or two extra battery packs for your camera (there are reload-stations inside, but not for my type of battery). Don't visit it at the weekend. Try to avoid visiting while the pupils are in holidays. And reserve your ticket on the website, otherwise you have to wait for hours.
http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/visi ... ing-hours/
https://www.youtube.com/user/MiWuLaTV

Gorn

Re: Must-see and needn't-see in your local area

Post by Gorn » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:00 pm

P.S.: Weather is fine today (25° C), so I'll gonna play a few notes and then go to the Biergarten...

Granary Guitars

Post by Granary Guitars » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:19 pm

Excellent. Thank you.

Wesjr1

Post by Wesjr1 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:00 pm

I love Munich and Bavaria. I attended an American school in Munich for a year back in the early 1960s, attended an Oktoberfest then (and still have several original clay liter beermugs they used then that I "collected" ), and I was able to travel around Bavaria. Years later, while in the Air Force, stationed in Madrid, Spain, I again visited Munich, and, yes, again attended an Oktoberfest. While I agree that it is crowded and now probably a LOT more expensive than it was then, I had a lot of fun--especially watching the beefy "Barmaids" elbow their ways through the crowded beer hall tents (each Munich brewery had one at the Fest--each of which held several hundred people) while carrying 5 or 6 full glass liter beer mugs in each hand/arm--the "ompah" bands playing in the background. I have also visited the Bavarian Alps (Garmisch-Partenkirchen, the Zugspitz, and Berchtesgaden). While maybe not as "dramatic" as the Swiss Alps, they were certainly beautiful. I found the people of Munich and Bavaria to be hospitable, warm, and friendly. I hope to again visit southern Germany some day
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:42 pm

German beer is the best...The American craft beer is just full of alcohol and hops, not much real flavor. I love a good Doppelbock.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:05 pm

Frankfurt:
The top 2:
1) The airport - can get you to any other point of the world almost any time, any day.
2) The main railway station - can get to to almost anywhere else in Germany quickly and efficiently (Munich for example) and even to Paris or Amsterdam in 4-5 hours.

3) Think think … let me get back to you on that. :lol:

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:08 pm

MessyTendon wrote:German beer is the best...The American craft beer is just full of alcohol and hops, not much real flavor. I love a good Doppelbock.
No. Dunkel is the best German beer - and the best place to get it is at the Andechs Monastery! It is 800 years old, and was completed 300 years ago. History like that is simply not available in the US.

Now, for my home area of San Franciso must see list:
1) Beach Blanket Babylon (a stage play known for outlandish costumery and hats so large they require a framed backpack. Ticket's online.
2) Fog CityDiner - it serves California Cuisine, a.k.a., Alice Waters of Chez Panisse in Berkeley, but is the very definition of San Francisco - it's off the Embarcadero.

What not to waste time on in the SF Bay Area? Russian RIver Brewing Company's Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger. Both are overly hopped and overly hyped beers. People stupidly line up and wait hours to get just one pint each. Popularity is based soley on expert marketing with no real product quality.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:21 pm

simonm wrote:Frankfurt:
The top 2:
1) The airport - can get you to any other point of the world almost any time, any day.
2) The main railway station - can get to to almost anywhere else in Germany quickly and efficiently (Munich for example) and even to Paris or Amsterdam in 4-5 hours.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:57 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote: No. Dunkel is the best German beer - and the best place to get it is at the Andechs Monastery! It is 800 years old, and was completed 300 years ago. History like that is simply not available in the US.
When I was 10 or 11 years old, our teacher forced the entire class to walk up that steep hill all the way from the Ammersee (Ammer lake) up to Andechs. And I was too young to have a beer there! What a sacrilege!

Common sense in the area around Munich about the best beer labels is the following:
Helles (lager): Augustiner, Munich
Dunkles (dark beer): König Ludwig Dunkel, Kaltenberg
Weißbier (wheat beer, unfiltered, lot of yeast inside, makes a clear skin - outside of Upper Bavaria it's called "Weizen"): Karg Bräu, Murnau or Schneider Weisse, Munich or maybe Erdinger Weißbier, Erding

But: if you want to taste high quality beers, spend a few weeks in Middle and Upper Franconia. It's the triangle between Nuremberg, Bamberg and Würzburg. There are hundreds of small brewerys. Many of them produce astoundingly good, tasty beer (lager, export, dark beer, pils, wheat beer).
And, of course, there's also Bubenreuth in this area, which is the original home of many guitar makers, like Framus, Höfner, Hopf, Hoyer. Many German luthiers learned their craftsmanship there. Nearby is also the horseradish world capital Baiersdorf, which is hometown of Hanika...

Wesjr1

Post by Wesjr1 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:05 pm

For those who have never visited Germany: The German beer you get there is universes above the imported German beers you buy in the U.S. Our US health law requires imported beer to be pasteurized (heated to a certain temp to kill any "harmful" bacteria in the beer). In Germany, the beer is not pasteurized (or, at least, wasn't when I was there), which gave it so much more flavor, body, and richness. After "sampling" (a lot!!) the beer while in Deutschland :ivresse:, I find the imported brands here in the U.S. bland and watery in comparison.
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:26 pm

When I was in Bamberg, I saw bus tours of older Americans. The bus stopped in front of Schlenkerla. They got out, took pictures of the big wooden door, and returned to the bus. What a travesty! Standing in front of a world famous brewery and not going in to sample the beer! Unthinkable.

Since we are talking about beer: More SF need to see list: Anchor Brewing Company in SF offers tours. They brew traditional "steam beer" as it was made in the 19th century, with modern infection control applied. I highly recommend their Anchor Steam and Old Fog Horn varieties.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:26 pm

Gorn wrote: … there's also Bubenreuth in this area, which is the original home of many guitar makers, like Framus, Höfner, Hopf, Hoyer. Many German luthiers learned their craftsmanship there. ...
Not to mention Gleissner for wood and Pyramid for strings. I'm over due a visit. (And of course the late G Hannabach also learned in the area too).

So maybe the A3 should be my number 3. :-)

richtm

Post by richtm » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:27 pm

:chitarrista: I don't know if you made your trip yet. If you might still consider Hamburg, it's for sure worth to make a visit to the workshop of Michael Wiechmann and Carstens Kobs (beside the Miniatur Wunderland), both excellent Luthiers of the city.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar top; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce top, Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar Double-top

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:10 am

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:26 pm
When I was in Bamberg, I saw bus tours of older Americans. The bus stopped in front of Schlenkerla. They got out, took pictures of the big wooden door, and returned to the bus. What a travesty! Standing in front of a world famous brewery and not going in to sample the beer! Unthinkable...
Not if there wasn't a bathroom on the bus. I'm just sayin'... :wink:

Return to “The Café”