What is Flamenco?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
RichardUno

Re: What is Flamenco?

Post by RichardUno » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:23 pm

Paco and his brother Pepe:

Youtube

Search YT for Paco & Pepe Lucia if not allowed.

Here's another:

Youtube

Search YT for Paco de Lucia Bulerias if not allowed.
Thanks for posting the video of Diego and Fernanda, that's the real stuff and I hope it never goes away.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:44 pm

.. [deleted due to duplication from another poster]
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

philip caldwell

Post by philip caldwell » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:34 pm

philip caldwell

Post by philip caldwell » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:39 pm

:D

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:09 pm

I am sad that you (OP) do not like flamenco - I love the music & the dance, although I was brought up by a Spanish mother who hated it, as well as gypsies.:( There are many styles of flamenco, & the one I most love is the Martinete, for example the one below, if I am allowed to post the link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De5lz4W5op0#

Yet the lifestyle is not one I could embrace, with cruelty to animals, the horse fairs, the bull fighting.....not that one can really "convert" into being a gypsey, the flamenco families pass on their art to their children. It seems Gypsies are discriminated against by many middle class spaniards (though I have not been back in many years)

I love the raw, dark passion (& often humour!) of flamenco, although cante chico is not really my thing. BTW you have to tune your ear in to catch the flamenco slang.

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:34 pm

My mother''s family came from Zaragoza Spain. My grandmother Europa used to tell my stories about the Flamenco culture and was a believer - along with other Northern Spaniards - that the Flamenco tradition did provide the people with a valuable outlet to remain in better health and enjoy their senior years for a longer period of time than the "aristocratic" class. Maybe the movie/document does have a valid point.

R_Pegio

Post by R_Pegio » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:47 am

My mother''s family came from Zaragoza Spain. My grandmother Europa used to tell my stories about the Flamenco culture and was a believer - along with other Northern Spaniards - that the Flamenco tradition did provide the people with a valuable outlet to remain in better health and enjoy their senior years for a longer period of time than the "aristocratic" class. Maybe the movie/document does have a valid point.
That's a bit surprising - Zaragoza is in Aragón almost as far as you can get in Spain from Flamenco's birth-place of Andalucía. The traditional folk-dance of Aragón is the graceful "Jota".
It doesn't take any brains to listen to music.

Luciano Pavarotti

RichardUno

Post by RichardUno » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:39 pm

Sabicas was born in Pamplona which is even farther from Andalucia.

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:47 pm

R_Pegio wrote:
That's a bit surprising - Zaragoza is in Aragón almost as far as you can get in Spain from Flamenco's birth-place of Andalucía. The traditional folk-dance of Aragón is the graceful "Jota".
Well R.Pegio, Not every Spaniard lives within a close-cultural tradition. You don't have to be a resident of a Southern Spain Province to be aware of other areas tradition.I am sure that the Andalucian residents are well aware of the "Jota" folk-dance.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:10 pm

4 years ago I stayed for a couple of weeks in student' residence of university of Malaga, Spain.
I listened local Radiostations - no Flamenco, pop music only.. then few times students of university had parties , they came with guitars - and I expected to hear some Flamenco - instead they all played and sang pop songs from USA...it was very disappointing to hear...
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

charlesivey

Post by charlesivey » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:46 am

Montoya was surely an entertaining showman and fun to listen to -- whether he was authentic or not I do not know. He played noted or traditional composers but mostly his interpretations of traditional folk flamenco. At least that is what it seemed. I attended more than one Montoya concert and some of the pieces were slightly different in each case. He seemed able to improvise and still return to perfect dance rhythm. It was his improvisations that make his music so explosive and interesting. That was my take, right or wrong. Not sure his Malaguena was the same each time even though I thought there was a composition by Lecuona in the late 1920s that supposedly was the original version -- that was the one I sort of learned anyway. Maybe it was the dance that was the story and the music was a bit more elective -- I do not know.
CI

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler" A. Einstein

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:49 am

Carlos Montoya was the real thing, a well respected flamenco accompanist. One of the first virtuoso level performers of flamenco guitar.

The Malaguena palo is older than Lecuona, but that is the most famous instance of it. Not that it is named after the area that it was developed in, not the composer who developed it further.

As far as 'improvisation' is concerned, I reckon that he was well versed in many variations of his falsetas from my own experience.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:33 pm

The most universally misunderstood art of all the arts.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:00 am

I liked the music and the words. They told a story. Can't wait to see the whole thing and not just 10 minutes at a time on YouTube.

dory

Post by dory » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:51 am

I lived in Oviedo which is close to as far north in Spain as you can get. The music style indigenous to the region are I quite different from flamenco but I sometimes heard flamenco in bars, although if I remember right it may have been mostly gypsies. I imagine there is some flamenco in Zaragoza as well-- just not as much as in Andalucia. If I had been less young I might have found Asturian (from the region) music somewhere but it was certainly NOT prominent in local culture at the time. What i heard a lot of besides English language pop songs was Latin American popular music. There were some Spanish singers like Joan Manuel Serrat, but really the only indigenous Spanish music I heard besides that was that bit of flamenco. I wonder if that has changed. I am pretty old. Sadly I think what young people mostly listen to is pop music of various kinds. If I were in Oviedo now I would probably hear regetón.
Dory

Return to “The Café”