I bought a violin

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Andrew Fryer

I bought a violin

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:52 am

My nails were growing, but then at the crucial point, a night's uke playing smashed the index nail.
At our uke group we have an excellent bassist and a guy who plays instrumentals on mandolin and banjo uke.
I had been toying with the idea of buying a lap steel, but, except for a couple of us, Hawaiian music doesn't go down well there (even less Robert Crumb's style of playing it), and we only play one Western Swing number at the moment (but that will change). But we play up to a dozen numbers where a violin solo would work, so I spent £50 on one. It ought to be good at that price (incl. case and bow and rosin) :? . One of our players is a professional violist, but she's a bit shy and can't play without music, but I might cadge a lesson or two from her.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Andrew Pohlman

Re: I bought a violin

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:27 pm

Sounds fun! I wish you success that tiny vibrating object of sonic projections!
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:19 pm

My first violin I got when I was 4 years old...I had a crush on the girl who took violin lessons, so I demanded lessons. When she quit playing, I quit playing. I wish I had stuck with lessons. The cheap violin is going to sound awful no matter how great you play.

At least splurge on some Helicore strings since they are the cheapest string for the money that does perform better than factory strings.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:29 pm

Yes, I haven't got any spare strings yet. I was going to start thinking about that soon.

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:47 pm

When I went to university (and didn't study music) I took my flute to the audition for the university orchestra. I didn't get in. But there was only one space for a flute. I do remember though (after 30+ years) a sign advising that no audition was required for string instruments. So it appears that if you own a violin and understand how to get it out of its case then you would have had your place in the orchestra assured already. To be welcome in any (non-professional) orchestra it will be necessary to buy a viola. And possibly some strings for it.
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

Granary Guitars

Post by Granary Guitars » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:00 am

Well done Andrew and good luck with that. Let us know how you get on.
I notice that in only 2 posts someone has already made a recommendation about strings! Is this obsession with strings a guitarist thing or do all string players obsess about them? Actually although I'm joking I would like to know if we guitarists are particularly prone to this - I don't know enough other string players to ask, which I suppose says it all! :D

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:49 am

The Amazon reviews are not very favourable to those helicores! As soon as I saw there were normal and high tension violin strings, my heart sank! And they are expensive. They're only bits of wire, for flip's sake!

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:58 pm

Ah, the sound of early violin studies; there is nothing like it, except perhaps a class of 6-year olds playing recorders.

I could be persuaded with a clarinet, but not strings other than my guitar.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:16 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:The Amazon reviews are not very favourable to those helicores! As soon as I saw there were normal and high tension violin strings, my heart sank! And they are expensive. They're only bits of wire, for flip's sake!
Violin strings should be low tension! :D

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:45 pm

As a fret-less 4 string instrument the violin helped me to train my hearing identifying notes. That was a long time ago as a young person - age 7 - but I am still able to know when a note is "not just right". I believe I will also enhance your "hearing skills" with the CG.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:09 pm

Clarinets and trombones are inventions of the devil. Bass clarinets are fabulous though. I've just been out and bought a heavy duty practice mute. And a book of 3 Bach sonatas and 3 partitas. Insane on one level, but sensible on another, as it contains a lot of slow passages which I can slow down further, and they will be more interesting than scales and arpeggios, and also the book was £11 and I felt that if I waited 2 or 3 years, I'd never see it so cheap again.

Matt Molloy

Post by Matt Molloy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:21 pm

And there's the mid-life crisis right there. Buy a young violin and play it behind the back of your guitar.

Let's be honest, who hasn't been there?

As to strings, I'd go with Dominants (a bit like the D'Addarios of the violin world) but swap out the E for one you can live with.

Cheers,

Matt.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morcambe

Proud member of the LGCI.

Guitar: James Lister 2009 SP/MP.

slidika

Post by slidika » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:35 pm

My wife bought a violin several years ago and started taking lessons. And when she practiced at home, there was the requisite squeaking as she was learning to use the bow. One day she came home from a lesson and was all excited. She said, "Guess what I learned today -- I learned to slur a note!"" I smiled and replied, "Isn't that what you've been doing all along?"

She did not appreciate my sense of humor . . .
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

Sandaun

Post by Sandaun » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:50 am

Stringed instruments, strings and string players - yes, it's one of the major topics in any group of string players. Doesn't matter what stringed instrument you play - except for air guitar and other air instruments ... just like embouchure is a constant for brass and woodwind players, and reeds for single reed and double reed players. And slide grease and valve oil for brass players.

The second instrument I learnt was the pedal steel, and my fourth the violin. I used to wonder how I'd handle the need to be in tune on the violin before I started, then somewhere along the way I realized I'd had all that steel guitar practice and my ear knew what to tell my fingers ... wonderfully liberating, once I'd realized that. And now I play trombone in a brass band. My trombone teacher told me I'd always be in tune with myself, no matter what I played.
"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor, Method for Guitar

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:10 am

I've been flirting with the trumpet for about 9 months , unlike the violin it is loud and obnoxious.The people sitting in front of the trumpet section dread the caterwauling imminent , especially on the Dam Busters. Also , if you start off pretty , it messes with the upper lip.I know the violin turns you into the chap from Notre Dame.

Return to “The Café”