I bought a violin

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
waime

Re: I bought a violin

Post by waime » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:20 am

I've always wanted to learn to play 1006 on violin after seeing Itzhak Perlman play this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJoz1jJTMe0

The bowing technique is pretty incredible!
2015 Darren Hippner Torres Cedar #813

SOLD
2002 Brian Dunn Double Top Cedar #12
Anonymous Cedar
Takamine EG128SC
2007 Joseph Redman Engleman Spruce, Zebrawood
2008 Loriente Marieta, Spruce
1993 Esteve 1GR9C Cedar
Yamaha CG101, Spruce, Nato

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:24 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:Yes, I haven't got any spare strings yet. I was going to start thinking about that soon.

If you go online to view the SHAR Music website, you will find great tutorials on the care and feeding of your instrument, humidifiers, string selection etc. The company and staff specialize in all things having to do with the violin and its relatives. Enjoy!

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:01 pm

Tragically, I'm already thinking that the action needs lowering! Does it, or am I just a typically obsessive guitar/uke player? I'll Google violin actions some time, but it will be trickier than fettling a fretted instrument, as the string diameters are so varied.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:02 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:Tragically, I'm already thinking that the action needs lowering! Does it, or am I just a typically obsessive guitar/uke player? I'll Google violin actions some time, but it will be trickier than fettling a fretted instrument, as the string diameters are so varied.
"Corner" a local parent who has a child studying violin. Hopefully you can get some good contact info re: reasonably priced accessories, repairs, sheet music and the like.

About that "action" question. Have you had anyone check the bridge on your violin? If it came straight from the factory, it could need replacement or adjustment. Should be a cheap, easy fix ... or you can use this for an excuse to upgrade. :D

JamesMessick
Student of the online lessons

Post by JamesMessick » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:05 pm

malc laney wrote:I've been flirting with the trumpet for about 9 months , unlike the violin it is loud and obnoxious.The people sitting in front of the trumpet section dread the caterwauling imminent , especially on the Dam Busters. Also , if you start off pretty , it messes with the upper lip.I know the violin turns you into the chap from Notre Dame.
You don't think violin's are loud? I remember attending a classical guitar orchestra at Appalachian State University guitar festival several years ago, probably 40 classical guitars. In one piece they were joined by a violinist. The sound from his instrument was not only beautiful, it seemed to mute the rest of the instruments with it's power!
Play beautifully, insofar as you are able.
Yamaha G-235 II, Fender Stratocaster, Alvarez 5212
Yamaha G-230, Bessler (Guitar Shaped Object)
Cordoba C5-CE
Student of Douglas Niedt

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:28 pm

Oh, violins are loud, and practice mutes aren't that effective!
I know a professional violist, Cathycate, so no problem there.
The action at the bridge is a little high but tolerable - what happens with violins is if the action mid-string is too high, then it's harder to bow strings 2 and 3, as they get depressed below the level of their neighbours, and you have to bow closer to the bridge, but it's not guaranteed to work if the action is too high. I'm not afraid of lowering the bridge myself, but it barely requires half a millimetre taken off, so I don't think I'll bother - I don't want to play in very high positions initially. But if the action is high at the nut, then it's tricky fingering those notes a semitone above the open strings, so there will be an optimum which is worth checking.

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:14 pm

Should Mr Perlmann be worried about competition yet ?

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:33 pm

Not for another 6 months.

Hany Hayek

Post by Hany Hayek » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:15 pm

Don't try to adjust anything yourself on the instrument, the action is not like on the guitar or mandolin that you can measure on 12th fret. On a violin a luthier has a special tool that measures the action.
You can however ask a luthier to adjust the shape of the bridge to your taste :) if he accepts, a few times I played violins that were too low on the G and D side for my taste.
Dr. Thomastik Dominant are the strings to use. Clean the instrument from resin after each session and make sure to loosen the bow when you are done playing.

Gurdyman

Post by Gurdyman » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:16 pm

"Vell, Ve can't all be first violiners in der orchestra; some of us got to push vind t'rough der trombone."

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:21 pm

Hany Hayek wrote:Don't try to adjust anything yourself on the instrument, the action is not like on the guitar or mandolin...
Thanks. I had realised this and decided not to attempt anything. Except I did buy a spare bridge with a nice ebony insert for the E string, as I could see the design was getting rarer and more expensive, so when I saw a cheap one, I bought it pdq.

Hany Hayek

Post by Hany Hayek » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:01 pm

Don't change the bridge yourself, sometimes the sound port can fall if you loosen the tension on the top. It's rare but can happen. And the reason you cannot set the height is that the fingerboard angle can vary from on instrument to another.
I had a violin once, a cheap one, a cezch stradivarius fabrika, that had a very low FB angle and very low action. I hated that one and had to sell it. I don't play now as much as I used to, but I still have 2 violins, a Jacob Krampera 1890, and a Breton Brevete 1818. I did choose the shape of the bridge although I was never a professional, but it's how I play better.
By the way your bow should tend to go closer to the fretboard and will be a little tilted. Not close to the bridge.
The reason I stopped playing is tht when you are tired you tend to loose your intonation. That's why I turned to mandolin. It's a different beast, bu with the same range :)

Hany Hayek

Post by Hany Hayek » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:02 pm

I meant meant sound post, definitely not sound port :)

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:08 am

Gut strings from bow brand are actually cheaper than most "normal" violin strings. Just sayin'.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:36 am

Hany Hayek wrote:Don't change the bridge yourself, sometimes the sound port can fall if you loosen the tension on the top.
Then you're saying don't change the strings either? Why would they not glue in the soundpost?

Return to “The Café”