I bought a violin

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Hany Hayek

Re: I bought a violin

Post by Hany Hayek » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:47 am

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Hany Hayek wrote:Don't change the bridge yourself, sometimes the sound port can fall if you loosen the tension on the top.
Then you're saying don't change the strings either? Why would they not glue in the soundpost?
:D change one string at a time keeping the bridge in its place. The violin is not the kind of musical instruments without consequences. Violinist mostly don't do anything to their instruments except cleaning. 8)
Post a picture of your instruments, let us see what you have and what's fitted on it. Do you have a tail piece with fine tuners. It makes your life a lot easier.

Hany Hayek

Post by Hany Hayek » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:48 am

I make too many typo. the violin is the KING of musical instruments

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:38 am

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Hany Hayek wrote:Don't change the bridge yourself, sometimes the sound port can fall if you loosen the tension on the top.
Then you're saying don't change the strings either? Why would they not glue in the soundpost?
It's not necessary to glue in the soundpost, the tension provided by the strings keeps it in place. It's also possible to move it slightly towards or further away from the bridge to alter the tone of the instrument. Somewhere I have a Cello (i think I can still find it), two violas and several violins. That's what happens when you are well connected.
Historicalguitars.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:24 pm

Ha, it's a £50 Chinese violin kit. I don't think any tone came supplied with it!
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Hany Hayek

Post by Hany Hayek » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:54 pm

Andrew don't feel bad about it. It's just a start. These Chinese instruments are all they sell new now here in Egypt as this is what students can afford. Off course there are high end old instruments for professionals.
It will get you playing, getting used to correct intonation will make you a better musician.
Then when you feel you like the instrument, get a better one.
I bought an inexpensive CG, 59 cm scale and couldn't be happier.
Michael, if you can't find the Cello, you have a problem :)
I always wanted one, my wife would not have the both of us

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:04 pm

I've now found the Cello, it's big. I just need to remember where I put the paddle.
Historicalguitars.

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:45 pm

violin " King of instruments.." according to Hany? A souped-up banjo would be more accurate !

Hany Hayek

Post by Hany Hayek » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:06 pm

malc laney wrote:violin " King of instruments.." according to Hany? A souped-up banjo would be more accurate !
I didn't say it, I quote Charles-Auguste de Beriot:
"The true mission of the violin is to imitate the accents of the human voice, a noble mission that has earned for the violin the glory of being called the king of instruments."

some say it's the organ... but don't mention the banjo you'll start the banjo jokes and these are endless
Oops. I have a tenor banjo.

Hany Hayek

Post by Hany Hayek » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:07 pm

Michael.N. wrote:I've now found the Cello, it's big. I just need to remember where I put the paddle.
I thought they used a bow with the cello, but if it's paddle that's even more interesting.
Do you think it can really float? :D

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:19 pm

I thought there was a Marx brothers film where they are sailing a double bass, paddling it with violins, but I can't find it on youtube.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:52 pm

Yes, it's usually the double bass that gets the sailing boat joke thrown at it. I had to make do with the cello.
There's a bit of a sad tale associated with my cello. Actually it's not my cello, it's just in my safe keeping. The woman who made it suffered a back issue that she never recovered from, the cello never was completely finished. A real pity, she was an extremely talented maker.
Historicalguitars.

Linda

Post by Linda » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:56 am

I have to say the violin is another challenging instrument that I have been fooling around with it for about two years now....and finally...my husband said "you are getting pretty good at that thing" One of my teachers said it is actually two instruments - the bow & the violin itself - and I sure agree with that.

Have fun with it Andrew!

linea
linea

Sandaun

Post by Sandaun » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:32 am

With regards to the sailing boat joke, I think there's a cellist floating around who claimed he had floated his cello down the Danube or Dniepr or some other river in Eastern Europe during some war or other ... I wish I could remember who claimed to have done it ...
"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor, Method for Guitar

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:17 pm

My favourite advertisement in the Gumtree pages. "Violin for sale . I bought it for my husband . He tried it twice and can`t do it ".

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Sat May 20, 2017 9:26 am

Its been a while and we dont know if andrew has stuck at the violin ,maybe an update and a vid?

Return to “The Café”