If the galaxy is spinning, how come centrifigul force doesn't cause the planets and everything to move outwards?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
hammerhead

Re: If the galaxy is spinning, how come centrifigul force doesn't cause the planets and everything to move outwards?

Post by hammerhead » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:52 pm

According to Nikoli Tesla gravity doesn't exist and the true force in everything is Electromagnetivity, causing the positive-negative push- pull relationship in everything.

petermc61

Re: If the galaxy is spinning, how come centrifigul force doesn't cause the planets and everything to move outwards?

Post by petermc61 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:11 pm

I think physics has come a fair way since Tesla. :D

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:29 pm

Whatever the truth, gravity is sure weird.

One naive question would ask whether mass curves space or whether curved space simply IS mass. Is this an askable question?

hammerhead

Post by hammerhead » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:12 pm

petermc61 wrote:I think physics has come a fair way since Tesla. :D

I am definitely no physics expert but, I do believe that the knowledge of Tesla has been greatly suppressed and not incorporated into modern physics and that we all could benefit from some of his discoveries, although the Energy Industries would have something to say about losing their monopoly's on power supply and manipulation. Meaning if Tesla's discoveries and knowledge were taught we would probably have free energy machines by now. He had an understanding of the electromagnetivity produced from the earth and all things so to harness that energy with little effort and maximum output. I think physics could benefit from his knowledge although maybe too much for some people.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:03 pm

hammerhead wrote:
petermc61 wrote:I think physics has come a fair way since Tesla. :D

I am definitely no physics expert but, I do believe that the knowledge of Tesla has been greatly suppressed and not incorporated into modern physics and that we all could benefit from some of his discoveries, although the Energy Industries would have something to say about losing their monopoly's on power supply and manipulation. Meaning if Tesla's discoveries and knowledge were taught we would probably have free energy machines by now. He had an understanding of the electromagnetivity produced from the earth and all things so to harness that energy with little effort and maximum output. I think physics could benefit from his knowledge although maybe too much for some people.
What exactly stops anyone from building a "free energy machine" if such a thing could exist? (It can't).

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:53 pm

astro64 wrote: What exactly stops anyone from building a "free energy machine" if such a thing could exist? (It can't).
Friction.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:06 pm

hammerhead wrote:I am definitely no physics expert but, I do believe that the knowledge of Tesla has been greatly suppressed and not incorporated into modern physics
Sigh, another conspiracy theorist!

Youtube

Oh, here we go, the intellectual wing of the steampunk generation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Te ... ar_culture
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:31 pm

Newton's 1st law of motion says that an object will move in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted on by an external force. A rotating object (or collection of objects - Galaxy) with a radial force (gravity) acting on it can move in a circular (or elliptical) path if the force is of the correct magnitude. If this gravitational force is too small, it will move farther from the center of rotation and if it is too large it will spiral toward the center. If there were no force, the mass moves in a straight line as predicted by the 1st law.

Centrifugal force is a name for the force required to cause an object to move in a circular path and can easily be computed. In the case of planets in our solar system, this force is provided by the gravitational force between the planet and the Sun.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:06 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:53 pm
astro64 wrote: What exactly stops anyone from building a "free energy machine" if such a thing could exist? (It can't).
Friction.
Actually, it's playing with super glue after consuming three beers. That has stopped many projects from happening. :D

Kidding aside, I agree with Fast Eddie's answer. It's the same answer to the question of why a spinning planet does not eject it's contents into space. Gravity.

There is no escaping gravity ... unless you can get up to 11.186 km/s. :D That or a giant string tethering each celestial object to the center of the galaxy. :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

fast eddie wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:31 pm
Centrifugal force is a name for the force required to cause an object to move in a circular path and can easily be computed. In the case of planets in our solar system, this force is provided by the gravitational force between the planet and the Sun.
Centripetal, i.e. toward the centre, is the force you are describing. A simple way to explain it is that in the rotating scenario, the planets would zoom past the gravitational centre if it weren't for gravity (the centripetal force) to pull them in juuust the right amount so they instead start 'circling' around that centre - zooming past and falling in simultaneously, forever.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Robert Charles

Post by Robert Charles » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:47 pm

"Centrifugal" force is a fictitious force. When we are moving in a circle, we think we are being flung outwards and interpret this sensation as a "force". Newton's first law describes the tendency of objects to continue in their current state of motion (which at any instant is in a straight line) until they are acted upon by an external force. So something in orbit has constantly to be dragged away from its straight line tendency and into the circular path, by gravity in this case. The inertia of the object causes it to experience a reaction to this and we sometimes (wrongly) describe this as "centrifugal" force.

The only unbalanced force acting on a body moving at a constant speed in a circle is an inwardly directed centripetal force. That's what I understood and taught for 30 years as a physics teacher anyway.

Maybe quantum theory and relativity have muddied the water a bit.
Rob

Katoh MCG 200S (2016)
Yamaha G55 (1971)

Return to “The Café”