Why am I here instead of someone else?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
glassynails

Why am I here instead of someone else?

Post by glassynails » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:43 pm

I'm here as far as I can tell. I am me and I am conscious, but why am I here inside a body? I cannot imagine not being here, maybe I have always been here in a body or various bodies? There's more to the "I" than meets the eye (no pun intended) I think.

Sure if I step outside my body and imagine looking down at the Earth and seeing thousands of people I could fairly say that any of them could ask the same question - why am I here and that would be no different from myself asking the question, but if you sit and think about it, what really is the "I"?

I realize that my consciousness exists because my brain physically exists and that becomes the "I", but it still doesn't answer the question of "I" being here and experiencing things instead of another "I". I also realize that if my brain ceases to exist that the "I" should cease to exist also, but why won't "I" be here again after that? Why won't it happen again? It has happened once so far from what I can tell now.

Another question I've often asked myself is that if my father had married a different mother or my mother a different father would I still be here or would it be someone else and I not exist?

Maybe I would be two "I"'s. The "I" that my father produced with another mother and the "I" that my mother produced with another father! or maybe I would be no "I" at all. Either way, it's amazing that "I" am here!

..... or maybe it isn't ....... :wink:
Last edited by glassynails on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Re: Why am I?

Post by simonm » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:15 pm

Oh Dear …

Have we forgotten our meds again … or worse have you been delving into the classical Greek philosophers? Or was it early 20th C psychology … Ids and Egos and such like?

No known cure as far as I am aware. Now, where is that nice Riesling I have been testing … ;-)

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:42 pm

simonm wrote:Oh Dear …

Have we forgotten our meds again… ;-)
:lol: :lol:

Maybe in Glassy's case it's an " I think, therfore I am Glassy" moment.
Probably time for him to buy a new guitar to take his mind off this other stuff.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

bear

Post by bear » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:47 pm

The people that your parents did not choose produced me, wait it was probably the people your grand no great grand parents didn't choose.
Are you having an existential crisis?
There was an LP call "Why is there Air?". I remember shouting the question out to a girl who was standing on a sidewalk just before I ran my '56 Olds into a pole. The girl said she liked me until she saw that I was an arse.
My show is nearing it's end, I've been around along time. It took me awhile to answer my own question. My purpose, my reason for existing, my reason for being born is my wife.
You'll find your answer. Patience, grasshopper.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:58 pm

I was born in 1973 and am now conscious typing on a computer. I am me. I am part of this phenomenon called life. When this consciousness ends who is to say that I won't experience consciousness in another body just as I am now?

This is my point.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:12 am

bear wrote:The people that your parents did not choose produced me, wait it was probably the people your grand no great grand parents didn't choose.
Are you having an existential crisis?
There was an LP call "Why is there Air?". I remember shouting the question out to a girl who was standing on a sidewalk just before I ran my '56 Olds into a pole. The girl said she liked me until she saw that I was an arse.
My show is nearing it's end, I've been around along time. It took me awhile to answer my own question. My purpose, my reason for existing, my reason for being born is my wife.
You'll find your answer. Patience, grasshopper.
No I'm not having an existential crisis at all. My life doesn't have a purpose and I'm fine with that. It's not negative at all. I'm seriously wondering about why "I" am here in a body and not just someone else. That's all I'm wondering. I used to wonder this from time to time ever since being a teenager. Just wondering people's thoughts on it, if they really understand what I'm talking about.

I also truly wonder if my mother had met someone else if "I" would have been born. I guess that's my question. Why was I born? It's not in the sense that most people ask it. Most people think "Oh, my life has no purpose, why was I born?". I never do that, because like I said I don't think we have a purpose and I'm fine with that. I try and accept reality.

It's also not a religious question. I realize we're not supposed to talk about that here, so I won't. All that I can say that religion doesn't enter into the equation when I ask the question - Why am "I" here and not just someone else.

I guess that what I should've entitled the thread!

petermc61

Re: Why am I here instead of someone else?

Post by petermc61 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:19 am

Mods - very weird. This thread was created by glassynails and the initial post is now gone. The post summary information shows it created by simonm, but this is not correct. There appears to be funny things still happening to the forum (besides Glassy's posts!)

bear

Post by bear » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:31 am

petermc61 wrote:Mods - very weird. This thread was created by glassynails and the initial post is now gone. The post summary information shows it created by simonm, but this is not correct. There appears to be funny things still happening to the forum (besides Glassy's posts!)
Perhaps when we were there we were actually somewhere else and not here then or before as we are all here now except for those of us who are not here but there.
Furthermore to expand on what was previously said or stated in the aforementioned text which should not be confused with the popular nomenclature of text but in was was before considered to be the proper usage of the term prior to the current jargon, I agree.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:22 am

petermc61 wrote:Mods - very weird. This thread was created by glassynails and the initial post is now gone. The post summary information shows it created by simonm, but this is not correct. There appears to be funny things still happening to the forum (besides Glassy's posts!)
Glad to hear this. I was a bit worried about my friend Simon when I first read it. Was beginning to wonder if he got into some overly fermented Reisling.... :shock:
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:06 am

I'm not here but I'm certainly not all there! :oops:

Cheers,
Malcolm
When I was ten, I thought my parents knew everything. When I became twenty, I was convinced they knew nothing. Then, at thirty, I realized I was right when I was ten.

Mark Twain

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:04 am

All the questions you've raised glassy are the subject of much debate in contemporary analytic philosophy. Unsurprisingly there are no definitive answers. You should do a course in philosophy of mind. There are some excellent free introductory courses online.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:17 am

glassynails wrote:I was born in 1973 and am now conscious typing on a computer. I am me. I am part of this phenomenon called life. When this consciousness ends who is to say that I won't experience consciousness in another body just as I am now?

This is my point.
Reincarnation? I've always felt that population increase kind of ruins reincarnation. If we are all old souls inhabiting a fresh body and the number of available fresh bodies increases dramatically doesn't that mean that there aren't enough souls to go around? Kind of explains a lot actually :lol:

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:28 am

Whoa!!! The first post by glassy has reappeared.

Either the mods have been playing with this thread or I must have had too much of simonm's German Rieslings....

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:31 am

I sort of wish I had been born as Riffy then I'd already have that spruce/maple MV I long for....

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:42 am

glassynails wrote:Another question I've often asked myself is that if my father had married a different mother or my mother a different father would I still be here or would it be someone else and I not exist?
Would you still be 'you' if your parents met one day later than when they actually met?

Return to “The Café”