Why am I here instead of someone else?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
rojarosguitar

Re: Why am I here instead of someone else?

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:29 pm

Maybe you are someone else?
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:07 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:Maybe you are someone else?
Right, there's something more than to how we think. Maybe we're always here or even always somewhere else. Maybe we are the Universe, who really knows. All I know is that I feel like I'm here experiencing a life on a planet called Earth. I realize that this body will die. People will continue to be born. I have no good reason to think one of those people won't be me again as another "I". True it won't be the exact same "me", but it will be "me" inside a body looking out on the world. But then who's to say I won't be in another world or dimension? Who's to truly say what "I" will be? Who's to really say that "I" am really here right now on Earth?
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:26 pm

With apologies to Franz Kafka's estate and to Glassy:

When Glassynails woke one morning from unsettling dreams, he found himself changed in his bed into a minute electron, at once a mere speck on his bed-sheet and yet somehow everywhere.

Alternative beginning:

When Glassynails woke one morning from unsettling dreams, he found himself changed into a monstrous vermin running across his bedroom ceiling.

:desole: :wink:

rikart

Post by rikart » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:21 am

Contained throughout the initial post is the presupposition that there can exist a duality within the entity that is you: 1) your body, and 2) your 'self'. It's the condition of separateness, an odd construct that is probably peculiarly human, whereby in our efforts to make sense of the world within the limits of our evolving intelligence we currently compartmentalize things in our minds. We do it so much that we even see the world, the planet, as something 'other', as in the extraordinary idea that we live on the planet, as opposed to that we, along with all other creatures, and every rock, and flower, and breeze, and stream are the planet. It is so delusional that dolphins find it hilarious. Actually, that's not quite true, the thing they find so funny is comedian Bob Monkhouse's joke: "They laughed when I told them I was going to be a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now!" Anyway, thinking about thinking outside the body is a futile exercise when one could better spend one's time being instrumental in making your beautiful pieces of glued tree sing. So, to imagine that there could be another 'self' in 'me' is to my mind a fantasy. In fact, the very thought is alien to me. At least, that's what I tell myself! :)
rikart /warwick harte

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:47 am

rikart wrote:Contained throughout the initial post is the presupposition that there can exist a duality within the entity that is you: 1) your body, and 2) your 'self'. It's the condition of separateness, an odd construct that is probably peculiarly human, whereby in our efforts to make sense of the world within the limits of our evolving intelligence we currently compartmentalize things in our minds. We do it so much that we even see the world, the planet, as something 'other', as in the extraordinary idea that we live on the planet, as opposed to that we, along with all other creatures, and every rock, and flower, and breeze, and stream are the planet. It is so delusional that dolphins find it hilarious. Actually, that's not quite true, the thing they find so funny is comedian Bob Monkhouse's joke: "They laughed when I told them I was going to be a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now!" Anyway, thinking about thinking outside the body is a futile exercise when one could better spend one's time being instrumental in making your beautiful pieces of glued tree sing. So, to imagine that there could be another 'self' in 'me' is to my mind a fantasy. In fact, the very thought is alien to me. At least, that's what I tell myself! :)
You may not believe that you have a "self", but when you wake up in the morning your "self" is hungry and has breakfast. You are alive now, as far as you can tell. It has happened once. You were not here on Earth, you are born, then you're not. Why won't this happen again with you as another "self" in another body if it's happened once? You can't say it won't, because it has happened. Why can't the situation of you experiencing life on Earth happen once again?

The only other explanation maybe is that (like I said) there is no "self" in a body experiencing life, so it's some sort of illusion, but even so then this illusion may happen again.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:47 am

We assume that we are 'me', and thus a little person separate from the whole. But those who delve into these things say this is not the case, in which case the question here might have to be slightly modified because we would all share the same identity. The answer to it would be that we cannot be anyone else than who we are, but we can forget who we are and seem to be someone else.

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:26 am

It's still a strange thought nonetheless. I am conscious. My consciousness will cease when I die. My consciousness is typing on a computer. I may be conscious in another body 300 year from now typing on another computer, but it won't be the same consciousness that was typing on this computer. It'll be a new consciousness asking "Will I be conscious again?" or "Have I been conscious before"?

Again I guess I have to go back to the OP. Why is it "I" that is conscious in this body and not another conscious instead? I think you ultimately have to step outside yourself and look down on imaginary conscious bodies though to figure out these questions. I'm gonna try that later, but I'm still tired and am going to take a nap first. Gonna rest the consciousness for a while.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:28 pm

If you exist at all, you're always "here." Being someone else just takes you to a different "here," where you would perhaps wonder why you weren't someone else, the someone else maybe being who you are now. But then, no matter who you are, you would still be "who I am now."

When you look back on the life of "who I am now" you can see that the slightest change would have made a difference, either making you a different "who I am now" or making you a "never were." Of the thousands of sperm released at the moment of your conception, you're the product of the one sperm that won the race to the egg. But if the conception had taken place a month earlier or a month later, you would be a "never were" because it would have been a different egg. If one of your parents ever told you how they came together and married, you were perhaps impressed by the improbability of their union. Then look back on your ancestry generation upon generation and you will be stunned by the gazillions of chance unions and conceptions that had to take place to make a "you."

The fact is, we're all winners of the greatest lotteries of the universe, each of which had a nearly infinite number of possible outcomes. Out of the nearly infinite number of possible outcomes in the lottery that contained your number, you were the winner. Enjoy it while you can.
Last edited by gitgeezer on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:36 pm

Because someone else is there instead of you?

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:03 pm

Because someone else should have been there instead of you (but then that someone else would be asking the same questions).

The odds against anyone existing, or to say it a different way, the odds against the existence of humanity, are staggering. But now that humanity exists, it's on pretty solid footing. Because though the odds of any one person being born are infinitely small, the odds of someone being born is 100 percent. And whoever is born will be asking the same questions about their own improbability.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:26 pm

OK... so maybe someone else should be here instead of you? Whose place you are taking? Whose consciousness you are replacing here? Are you sure you did not ask any questions here when been as other consciousness? And how could you know that you have one consciousness? maybe you have few at the same time? Maybe one consciousness may ask now and another one will answer after 300 years but all of them will be you?
But I would rather ask - Why are you here instead of somewhere else?
Thanks!

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Ok, I often wondered something else. My mother said she almost married another man instead of my father. If she had, would I still be here? My father maybe would've married another woman. Which person would be me? Would I be my father's son or my mother's son? It doesn't work when you look at other people, you have to ask yourself the question - Who would I be if my mother and father had married different people? Would I be my father or mother's child? Would I be any of those consciousnesses?

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:37 pm

Also, everyone of you is conscious, as far as we all can tell. Of course there's the problem of "other minds" you don't really know if I exist and vise-versa, but that's another subject. Ok, so you're all here. Putting aside religious beliefs, you're conscious and here at this time (whatever time is). You'll eventually die and not be conscious due to brain death. Putting aside new age mumbo jumbo, will the new people being born be another you?

It's sort of like the question - Where was I before I was here? Maybe.

I don't think people really know what I'm trying to ask .... or maybe they do ..... very frustrating, but it's not a joke and is a real question to me.
None of you have ever wondered that if you're conscious now, why could you not be conscious again after you die? Am I the only one that has wondered this? I mean conscious in a new body, not conscious without a body of course lol.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:17 pm

In answer to the last three posts, If you were not as you are, in accordance with how you came to be, you would not exist at all, in any form. Physiology, genetics, and one's biological history offer no alternative existences. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is.

rikart

Post by rikart » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:33 am

"You may not believe that you have a "self", ...."
Actually, I did not say that I do not belief that I have a 'self', or there was no such thing as the 'self'. In fact, I don't believe it. I know it. My argument was that there is a body, and there is a 'self', but that in my reality the two are inseparable, and part of the whole. If I do not have either body or 'self'', I do not have anything, for without one I do not have the other. And with that there is no me. As I say, in my reality.

However, I acknowledge that some other people experience a different reality than mine, where for example there exists for them other 'selves' in a single body. I'm talking about schizophrenics. Their world is alien to me, and if I say that I see the world in 3D then they see it in 4D, for instance. I cannot fathom how this can transpire, or figure out how it is possible. But that does not change one fact, it is real.

Looking at the first part of your question, as you express it, "Why am I here ....", I think the responses, including mine, to that have been as if the question was "How is it that I am here instead of someone else?", which is interesting in itself. The Philosopher's Why is often a tougher opponent than the Physic's How.

It was St Patrick's Day very recently, and within the famous Breastplate attributed to him are these words:

I arise today, through
The strength of heaven,
The light of the sun,
The radiance of the moon,
The splendor of fire,
The speed of lightning,
The swiftness of wind,
The depth of the sea,
The stability of the earth,
The firmness of rock.

I wish you well, and hope you find your answers.
rikart /warwick harte

Return to “The Café”