How do you reward yourself when you reach a goal?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
doug

Post by doug » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:54 pm

Recently I spent quite a bit of time attempting to do something. I finally accomplished it. I rewarded myself with a couple of glasses of merlot, a filet mignon and a baked potato.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C
2015 GV Rubio Estudio 640 SP/PE
2009 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640 SP

Briant

Re: How do you reward yourself when you reach a goal?

Post by Briant » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:56 pm

If i rewarded myself with a couple of glasses of Merlot a filet Mignon and a baked potato, i would set myself lots of achievable goals. Although my wife would lecture me on the benefits of healthy living !

I do however sometimes reward myself with a glass of red once my evenings guitar practice is over.

cgratham

Post by cgratham » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:27 pm

I buy a new guitar of course!

Only for the big goals though. I bought a guitar as a reward when I finished my PhD. And when (if) I ever get my mortgage paid off, I plan to do the same. Of course I don't need the excuse of accomplishing a goal to buy a new guitar ;-)

For the smaller goals, I like the idea of a nice meal and glass of wine. I'll have to try that.

Cheers, Chris

bear

Post by bear » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:36 pm

I don't. The achievement is it's own reward.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:33 pm

Bear +1.

However, over the last few years I have tried to save as much money as I can each year, and whatever I save, I spend 10% of it on myself for Christmas. So I may buy myself another uke this christmas - something in all-solid acacia I think, this time.

A filet mignon with a baked potato? If I wanted a treat I'd do it with gratin dauphinois or gratin savoyard.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:14 pm

I think it really depends on the goal. For me, it can be as simple as having a nice glass of wine, to something extravagant like buying myself a new guitar (for those rare milestone achievements). More often than not, it is a glass of wine.

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:31 pm

"The Power of Habit" is an interesting read. It talks about the power of rituals and the connecting a reward with an action, especially if you want to change a habit.

So for example, I love coffee. Especially that first cup. So, wanting to be more routine in my exercise, I now have to do 20 pushups to "earn" each cup.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:42 pm

Steve Kutzer wrote: So for example, I love coffee. Especially that first cup. So, wanting to be more routine in my exercise, I now have to do 20 pushups to "earn" each cup.
Heeey! Great idea! I will try this :bye:
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:44 pm

Merlot, steak, and potato sounds like dinner. I'll go for breakfast:

“Breakfast is the only meal of the day that I tend to view with the same kind of traditionalized reverence that most people associate with Lunch and Dinner. I like to eat breakfast alone, and almost never before noon; anybody with a terminally jangled lifestyle needs at least one psychic anchor every twenty-four hours, and mine is breakfast. In Hong Kong, Dallas or at home — and regardless of whether or not I have been to bed — breakfast is a personal ritual that can only be properly observed alone, and in a spirit of genuine excess. The food factor should always be massive: four Bloody Marys, two grapefruits, a pot of coffee, Rangoon crepes, a half-pound of either sausage, bacon, or corned beef hash with diced chiles, a Spanish omelette or eggs Benedict, a quart of milk, a chopped lemon for random seasoning, and something like a slice of Key lime pie, two margaritas, and six lines of the best cocaine for dessert… Right, and there should also be two or three newspapers, all mail and messages, a telephone, a notebook for planning the next twenty-four hours and at least one source of good music… All of which should be dealt with outside, in the warmth of a hot sun, and preferably stone naked.”
Whatever catastrophe or dynamic equilibrium this will eventually lead to will be a mathematical not a moral phenomenon. - A Fryer

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:07 pm

I do like the idea of making breakfast the biggest meal of the day, but I foresee many problems, among which are: -
I'd have to go to bed hungry in order to wake up with any appetite, and that would prevent me from sleeping.
I think it would be very hard indeed to achieve a balanced diet.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:56 pm

bear wrote:I don't. The achievement is it's own reward.
+1

The reward centers of my brain light up just from the achievement itself. No other reward is needed.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:34 pm

doug wrote:Recently I spent quite a bit of time attempting to do something. I finally accomplished it. I rewarded myself with a couple of glasses of merlot, a filet mignon and a baked potato.
I always eat meal which I love ... and also indifferent to vine...
Therefore I can not reward myself this way...
And ...my best reward is to be with the person which I love and with guitar .. and I am already with both of them...therefore nothing possible could reward me more than that...
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:16 pm

Took the words right out of my mouth Bear. I would also be careful about using food or drink as a "reward". That can lead to a potentially unhealthy relationship with food or drink. Nothing wrong with enjoying a good meal but it should not be seen as a reward IMHO.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:21 pm

Me too. For me, the goal is the reward... Although I then reward myself again with another even higher goal.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:13 pm

mmapag wrote:
Took the words right out of my mouth Bear. I would also be careful about using food or drink as a "reward". That can lead to a potentially unhealthy relationship with food or drink. Nothing wrong with enjoying a good meal but it should not be seen as a reward IMHO.
lagartija wrote:...+1 ...The reward centers of my brain light up just from the achievement itself. No other reward is needed.
Now, maybe I'm getting the wrong message from this, but the Spartan approach is for the birds.

For me, I celebrate (read reward myself for) every little success. Life is for celebration, and I'm worth it! I have seen the Spartan thing so many times in my patients. They live prudent lives, save up all their money, wait to do anything fun until retirement when they feel they truly deserve a reward for a life full of accomplishment. Then they die 6 months later. Seen it first hand many times...

No thanks. So I celebrate big goals down to little trivial goals :: job promotions, completing a college level course, learning a classical piece, birthdays/births/weddings, fixing a squeaky hinge, and surviving the commute home from work! Sometimes big rewards, like a Trevor Gore guitar for my 60th birthday. Sometimes small rewards, like beers and Bavarian bretzeln with good friends on a Spring afternoon!

If you guys are not indulging in self reward on a daily basis, you are missing the point of living. Life is a journey, not a destination. Reward yourself while you are still paddling the canoe, because the ultimate destination for the human journey ends with the phrase "survived by". I suppose it comes down to how you want to be seen and/or remembered. Are you the most accomplished, but humble person ever born? Or are you the person with a large lust for living who told the Grim Reaper to take a number while you enjoyed a Merlot and Filet Mignon with family and friends for the last time?
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Return to “The Café”