How do you reward yourself when you reach a goal?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Butch Alan

Re: How do you reward yourself when you reach a goal?

Post by Butch Alan » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:15 pm

Scotch.

bear

Post by bear » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:47 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
mmapag wrote:
bear wrote:I don't. The achievement is it's own reward.
Took the words right out of my mouth Bear. I would also be careful about using food or drink as a "reward". That can lead to a potentially unhealthy relationship with food or drink. Nothing wrong with enjoying a good meal but it should not be seen as a reward IMHO.
lagartija wrote:...+1 ...The reward centers of my brain light up just from the achievement itself. No other reward is needed.
Now, maybe I'm getting the wrong message from this, but the Spartan approach is for the birds.

For me, I celebrate (read reward myself for) every little success. Life is for celebration, and I'm worth it! I have seen the Spartan thing so many times in my patients. They live prudent lives, save up all their money, wait to do anything fun until retirement when they feel they truly deserve a reward for a life full of accomplishment. Then they die 6 months later. Seen it first hand many times...

No thanks. So I celebrate big goals down to little trivial goals :: job promotions, completing a college level course, learning a classical piece, birthdays/births/weddings, fixing a squeaky hinge, and surviving the commute home from work! Sometimes big rewards, like a Trevor Gore guitar for my 60th birthday. Sometimes small rewards, like beers and Bavarian bretzeln with good friends on a Spring afternoon!

If you guys are not indulging in self reward on a daily basis, you are missing the point of living. Life is a journey, not a destination. Reward yourself while you are still paddling the canoe, because the ultimate destination for the human journey ends with the phrase "survived by". I suppose it comes down to how you want to be seen and/or remembered. Are you the most accomplished, but humble person ever born? Or are you the person with a large lust for living who told the Grim Reaper to take a number while you enjoyed a Merlot and Filet Mignon with family and friends for the last time?
I got my PhD, went into private practice, made a lot of money and retired (the first time) in my 40's. Not very Spartan. I started a couple of part-time businesses so that I could play with horses and get someone else to pay for it. My goals are completely self serving and therefore the achievement is rewarding. I don't need to "pay" myself since I don't do anything that I don't want to do. Any "M&M's" that I want I get because I want them I no longer need to work for them. Not very Spartan.
I am far from rich, but I won't starve.
I worked hard when I was young and my reward was retirement while still young.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Linda

Post by Linda » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:56 pm

I am with Bear & Doug. I get such a kick out of learning a tune really well. My goals are usually one tune at a time on guitar & violin and getting to play the tunes with others. That's enough for me and I also love a well prepared filet mignon with some wine.

linea
linea

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:53 pm

Andrew, I don't live a Spartan life by any means!
At 60, I retired. But during my whole working career, my husband and I traveled all over the world. We did not wait until we would be too old and sickly to enjoy traveling to fabulous places.
Drinking and eating are not really a reward for me. The feeling of accomplishment IS a reward. I just don't need anything else. :-D
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

bear

Post by bear » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:24 pm

I believe that depriving yourself until some goal is reached is far more Spartan.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:25 am

bear wrote:I believe that depriving yourself until some goal is reached is far more Spartan.
I agree. I don't do that either.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

mmapag

Re: How do you reward 4yourself when you reach a goal?

Post by mmapag » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:37 am

lagartija wrote:
bear wrote:I believe that depriving yourself until some goal is reached is far more Spartan.
I agree. I don't do that either.
Yup. Totally agree. I am certainly not being Spartan. It is just as simple as achieving the goal is it's own reward. That is what satisfies. I am all for celebrating life and relationships. Growing musically is part of that. It's not something i have to wait to do till i achieve a goal. As was said, life is a journey not a destination.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:31 am

Coke Zero Cherry
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:08 pm

fast eddie wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:31 am
Coke Zero Cherry
I do believe fast eddie's deeply profound response fully captures the entirety of human desires and motivations in three simple words. :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:08 pm

+1 on breakfast. But not as a reward. Just every day life.

For completing a rigorous 9 months of practice at level D05 and earning the certificate in May, I have given myself the summer "off." No scales no slurs no arpeggios. Just new music I always wanted to learn or re-learn and frequent mini vacations sailing without the guitara. For a 1000 hour milestone I bought a new Steve Ganz Guitar (thank you Steve!!) My next 1000 hours I may reward myself with a new video/audio recorder for YouTube videos. Small rewards are purchasing new music or books. I celebrate each 100 hours by changing my strings and polishing my guitar. The bright new sound and constant tuning keeps me going.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

rikart

Post by rikart » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:30 pm

Regrettably, I have not kept my diaries in which I noted any modest if infrequent achievements over the years. I have never set goals (well, hardly ever), and would now like to retrospectively write goals in them at some decent period prior to my having attained at a later date something worthy of a treat. Admittedly, I keep buying myself things anyway, but surely, that doesn't count!
rikart /warwick harte

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:27 pm

I'll by myself something. Perhaps some high quality dark chocolate or a new CD, for example.

Peskyendeavour

Post by Peskyendeavour » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:37 pm

The achievement is in itself the reward. I smile.
I start the next piece of music. Next goal next target. Next smile.

slidika

Post by slidika » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:44 pm

I am pretty much in agreement with Bear. On the other hand, if I study and could earn the FM title in chess, well, I would have to have some kind of celebration!
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

botswanajohn

Post by botswanajohn » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Cup of coffee.... then go back and play it several more times to make sure it is ingrained into my sub-conscious.
1981 Ramirez 1a
1982 Asturias
If music be the food of love, play on....

Return to “The Café”