The Disappearance of Time and Motion

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
PeteJ

The Disappearance of Time and Motion

Post by PeteJ » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:52 am

There was an interesting discussion of time and motion going on here but it has disappeared. This is odd. Did I dream it? Posts here have a strange habit of vanishing.

petermc61

Re: The Disappearance of Time and Motion

Post by petermc61 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:15 pm

Only those the mods think have crossed the line....

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:31 pm

petermc61 wrote:Only those the mods think have crossed the line....
Then they move on it in next to no time..

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:18 pm

The mods may have thought the discussion had crossed the line into fantasy land. I was beginning to suspect the same thing myself.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:53 am

gitgeezer wrote:The mods may have thought the discussion had crossed the line into fantasy land. I was beginning to suspect the same thing myself.
Oh no, that sounds rather contentious... Now this thread is in danger of disappearing! :D
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:35 am

If a thread is deleted there ought to be a note as to the reasons. Otherwise the same discussion will reappear. Also, it is not the mods job to decide what is fantasy and what is not on topics where they are not expert.

If the topic is inappropriate then fair enough, no problem, but why do it in secret and with no advice offered to those who caused the perceived problem?

As one of my (firmly on topic) posts on other threads have gone missing today I''ll assume its the gremlins again.

Or perhaps I should start getting paranoid.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:46 am

PeteJ wrote:As one of my (firmly on topic) posts on other threads have gone missing today I''ll assume its the gremlins again.
What was your post about? When did you write it? Is the topic still in place? According to the logs, none of your posts have been misplaced today.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:55 pm

Hi Marko. I lost a post on the 'easily tired' thread here which was not at all contentious but supposed to be helpful. No problem but odd. Perhaps I dreamt it.

I do think that when a thread is deleted then leaving a note in place to this effect would be helpful. As it is it just evaporated. Yet I didn't notice any improper arguments going on and it all seemed rather interesting. I was talking too much, and admittedly this does not bode well for a thread. :)

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:35 pm

Pete, the last post on 'easily tired' thread is yours: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=107732&p=1146141#p1146141
If you wrote another post into that thread, it either must have got lost during submitting (as sometimes happens when the forum has logged you out before clicking on 'Submit'), or as you suggested, you have dreamt it.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:32 am

Aha. I wonder if I missed that there was a second page. Darn. I knew it was going to be my fault.

As to the other thread, no complaints, it's for the mods to make decisions, but I do think that it's good practice to briefly explain deleted threads.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:45 pm

PeteJ wrote:There was an interesting discussion of time and motion going on here but it has disappeared. This is odd. Did I dream it? Posts here have a strange habit of vanishing.
Yes, I'm looking for the same thread, I think. Because I'm guessing it's the one where you talk of a 20,000-year-old belief system. Can you remind me what it's called, please - I can't remember its name, but I remember that there's a Wikipedia page on it. It's something like "The Natural Philosophy" or "The Eternal Philosophy" or something along those lines.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Mr Kite

Post by Mr Kite » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:40 pm

I believe it's "the perennial philosophy", but you just know that major distinctions are going to be glossed over in an attempt to argue that thinkers in different times and places have come to essentially the same conclusions.

Mr Kite

Post by Mr Kite » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:49 pm

PeteJ, have you discussed this on another forum? If the discussion here was deleted, presumably because it was perceived as religious, it seems wrong to bring the topic back up here - but I for one would be interested in discussing it somewhere.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:12 am

I would be willing to restart it, but only if we call it Space, Time, and Motion.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:18 am

Andrew Fryer wrote:Yes, I'm looking for the same thread, I think. Because I'm guessing it's the one where you talk of a 20,000-year-old belief system. Can you remind me what it's called, please - I can't remember its name, but I remember that there's a Wikipedia page on it. It's something like "The Natural Philosophy" or "The Eternal Philosophy" or something along those lines.
Hi Andrew. It has many names but 'Perennial philosophy' covers the ground. Some would call it Mysticism but there are technical reasons for not doing so. Mr. Kite is suspicious but a bit of research soon shows that this view is, in fact, perennial, and pre-dates human writing. For paradigm examples I'd cite Middle Way Buddhism, Philosophical Taoism and advaita Vedanta or nondual Hinduism. In this view time and space are given short-thrift.

It is a view that has yet to be falsified, hence 'perennial'. Yet it is also the view that is never taught in our academic world, so it is poorly known by those who don't do their own research.

Return to “The Café”