Congratulations to Bob Dylan !!

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Evocacion

Re: Congratulations to Bob Dylan !!

Post by Evocacion » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:12 pm

Kevin Cowen wrote:Shame that was your last post Mark.
I'd love to know where you got the idea that Bob had anything to do with I got you babe.
Probably confused it with 'It Ain't Me Babe', which Bob did write. It's on his 1964 album 'Another Side of Bob Dylan'.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:17 pm

All true, evocacion. Sonny wrote "I got you babe" for sure. Poor Sonny! done in by a tree on a ski run at aptly named Heavenly resort.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:57 pm

I didn't know Sonny was no longer with us. Sad news.

And I see that Bob has now acknowledged his Nobel - apparently he kept silent because the news had struck him speechless.
http://alturl.com/4er3o
Yeah. Nice one, Bob!

RainyDayMan

Post by RainyDayMan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:23 am

Kevin Cowen wrote:The inventor of dynamite is the authority on peace, chemistry, physics, medicine,economics and literature.
Wow.
Explosives do have good uses.

Ariel_96

Post by Ariel_96 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:45 am

I think he deserves it. Congratulations

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:56 am

Just learned that he refused to join a White House party with Barack Obama and other US (or British) Nobel Prize Laureates yesterday. And he won't come to the ceremony in Stockholm with the king of Sweden. Shame on you Bob, I am a big fan of your music, but I think the Nobel Prize deserves better than such an insulting kiss my ass behavior.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Nick Clow

Post by Nick Clow » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:35 pm

Me too.

I actually think it's hilarious that so many people have said they don't consider Bob's songs to be literature. Can't conceive a song as being a poem set to music?? I can't think of anyone who is more of an archetypal 'bard' than Bob. It's his essence. The storyteller, the poet, the bard is a figure that has existed since before Shakespeare, Bob is the 20th century incarnation.

Food for thought:
Shakespeare = 36 plays (I believe one or two may have been lost and one known unattributed play may be his).
Bob Dylan = 36 studio albums.

I would like to say that I have pointed out the above just to annoy the Bob Dylan haters :D But don't be surprised if Bob is studied in schools and colleges in 100 years time y'all :D
Just learned that he refused to join a White House party with Barack Obama and other US (or British) Nobel Prize Laureates yesterday. And he won't come to the ceremony in Stockholm with the king of Sweden. Shame on you Bob, I am a big fan of your music, but I think the Nobel Prize deserves better than such an insulting kiss my ass behavior.
I wouldn't get hung up about that zupfgeiger, Bob has always been his own man. Pleasantly complicated, thorny, unpredicable and trucculent. Personally, I'd be disappointed if he did participate in some meaningless ceremony, I would regard it as kissing ass on his part if he actually did go!
Last edited by Nick Clow on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:18 am

Our local non profit radio station, did a full hour of Dylan poetry as a celebration. It was awesome.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:27 am

Nick Clow wrote:I wouldn't get hung up about that zupfgeiger, Bob has always been his own man. Pleasantly complicated, thorny, unpredicable and trucculent. Personally, I'd be disappointed if he did participate in some meaningless ceremony, I would regard it as kissing ass on his part if he actually did go!
Meaningless ceremony? I disagree. It's a vain and pretentious behavoir pattern that Bob is showing - not for the first time. You can say let him go, it's his own, weird style. But even for living legends some rules do exist. Regarding the Nobel Prize it's extremely disrespectful towards those who attributed the most prestigious prize in the world. Other US literature laureats are William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, Isaak Bashevis Singer, Saul Bellow and Toni Morrison. They all said thank you, somehow. But the greatest folk singer poet just takes the money and remains invisible. That's quite odd.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:42 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:
Nick Clow wrote:I wouldn't get hung up about that zupfgeiger, Bob has always been his own man. Pleasantly complicated, thorny, unpredicable and trucculent. Personally, I'd be disappointed if he did participate in some meaningless ceremony, I would regard it as kissing ass on his part if he actually did go!
Meaningless ceremony? I disagree. It's a vain and pretentious behavoir pattern that Bob is showing - not for the first time. You can say let him go, it's his own, weird style. But even for living legends some rules do exist. Regarding the Nobel Prize it's extremely disrespectful towards those who attributed the most prestigious prize in the world. Other US literature laureats are William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, Isaak Bashevis Singer, Saul Bellow and Toni Morrison. They all said thank you, somehow. But the greatest folk singer poet just takes the money and remains invisible. That's quite odd.
Yes, it might be that Bob Dylan is very conflicted about it all, perhaps himself of the view that, as some others have suggested, he is not worthy of this particular prize. If so then fair enough but there are times that good manners should overcome such doubts. He could be more publically grateful but humble, using the opportunity to promote great lyricists and writers that he admires. His response so far has not been his finest moment.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:27 pm

I find the whole thing odd. Dylan is a hugely wealthy folk/rock songwriter. There are several genuine geniuses of actual literature (Murakami springs immediately to mind) who are far more eligible for this prize IMO. I think the Nobel committee are engaging in PR manoeuvres that are beneath them.

tom0311
Amateur luthier

Post by tom0311 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:39 pm

The song was inspired by Bob Dylan's "it ain't me babe" if I remember correctly. He certainly didn't write the Sonny and Cher song.

I love some of Bob Dylan's music, as someone who doesn't usually pay attention to lyrics I do enjoy his. I can understand why some people don't like his stuff though.
“There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.”

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:51 pm

Nick Clow wrote:
Personally, I'd be disappointed if he did participate in some meaningless ceremony, I would regard it as kissing ass on his part if he actually did go!
On the other hand, one of my favourite Dylan songs, As I Went Out One Morning, was apparently written as a reaction to a meaningless ceremony he attended... What could attending the Nobel ceremony have produced?

The version by Mira Bilotte, by the way, is wonderful, and worth seeking out.

Nick Clow

Post by Nick Clow » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:33 pm

I'm sure your view is heartfelt and, honestly, I respect your right to think what the hell you like.

I was trying to understand why you have listed US Nobel Lit prize winners? (Notable exception to getting one, and especially ironic given your sign-off, is Mark Twain, but the Nobel prizes have always been controversial and accused of being one-eyed.) Are you saying that Bob's actions (or inactions) somehow embarrass you as an American or in some way disrespect other past US winners?

Personally, my view is that more than anyone on this planet, Bob has had 50+ years of people telling him how to live his life. He wouldn't be the prophet he was built up to be. He wouldn't be the 'spokesperson of a generation' people wanted him to be. He wouldn't be the face of the protest movement (hint: 'It Ain't Me Babe'). He's had 50 years of people trying to give him awards, honorary degrees etc. If he doesn't want to go to a ceremony, then that's his prerogative.

Another thing is that he has been on perpetual tour for decades. I imagine he would be booked for a year in advance. He would be castigated if he cancelled tour dates on fans to attend a ceremony.
Last edited by Nick Clow on Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:41 am, edited 9 times in total.

Nick Clow

Post by Nick Clow » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:37 pm

On the other hand, one of my favourite Dylan songs, As I Went Out One Morning, was apparently written as a reaction to a meaningless ceremony he attended... What could attending the Nobel ceremony have produced?
:D

We'll not find out.

PS 'Day of the Locusts' was written about attending a ceremony to be given an honorary doctorate by Princetown university, his incredible discomfort at being there and the relief of getting out alive.

Return to “The Café”