If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
R_Pegio

If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by R_Pegio » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:35 pm

I would love to master the oboe, I love its plangent tone but I understand it's massively difficult to play. What would be your choice(s)?

Obviously we're assuming we're all devotees of the guitar - goes without saying!
It doesn't take any brains to listen to music.

Luciano Pavarotti

JohnB

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Insrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by JohnB » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:39 pm

What a coincidence, in an alternative reality where I had good sense of pitch my choice of an alternative instrument would also be the oboe. IMO it is the most expressive and beautiful of the woodwind family.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Andrew Fryer

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Insrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:22 pm

Been there, done that. If anyone were really serious about the oboe, I ought to warn them that you will need to think about making your own reeds. This makes playing the oboe nearly a full-time profession. Factory made reeds are rubbish, and other people's hand-made reeds will be too expensive to buy if you play seriously (well, OK, maybe you can make one at £20 last a week or two, but I've seen a pro-am with about five dozen of his own reeds on the go at any one time. But sensibly, I guess you could make do with only half a dozen spares, but not if they are all together and you lose the box! He had a box of a dozen in his oboe case, a spare box of a dozen in his oboe case. Another spare dozen in his jacket pocket and a few more dozen work-in-progress at home). But you don't need to bother with cane-splitters and gougers. It's best to buy the cane already gouged to the correct thickness - it's still very cheap. Then you bend it, tie it to staples and whittle it. The only thing I miss about it is mucking about with other people in orchestras.

I'd take up the violin if I had to go back in time and do it all over again.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Kent

Post by Kent » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:31 pm

Probably a mandolin.

GravyDave

Post by GravyDave » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:48 pm

Trumpet. No doubt about it. Louis Armstrongs early stuff is just amazing to me.

doug

Post by doug » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:56 pm

Probably an upright bass?
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:57 pm

Piano, no question. The repertoire is incomparable.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:35 pm

Keyboard

khayes

Post by khayes » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:40 pm

Piano for me, too. I've played trumpet for several years in the past, it's really tough to practice without the entire neighborhood listening in. I think it's kind of pointless unless one has ensemble opportunities - single line melodies get old very quick.
Ken

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:38 pm

Like others have mentioned the Oboe is for me a favorite orchestra/concert level instrument. Not having study it and at my age in my mid-eighties I have taken up the Recorder which is not a string instrument - I play with a small ensemble the Alto Recorder - its simplicity and beautiful sound it produced when properly played compares well with the mellow sound of the Oboe. Some good advantages that the recorder have is...
1: You can buy a non-wood Alto Recorder for less than $60. A top quality solid wood professional level may run you into $$$$'s
2:Unlike guitars where a very low cost instrument tends to lack good tonality and volume, Plastic Alto Recorder still produce a very nice sound and is an easy-to learn instrument. Check the "YouTube" videos for Recorder Music and see and hear what I am talking about.
Last edited by Joe de V on Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dng

Post by dng » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:45 pm

Saxophone
"Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two.”
-Frederic Chopin

Sharon Vizcaino

Post by Sharon Vizcaino » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:00 pm

The oboe's also my favorite woodwind, but ever since I found out about the reeds I decided to stick with guitar. I already grumble enough about the few minutes I spend on my nails, haha.

So probably piano. The repertoire's huge and incredibly challenging. I'd love to someday be able to play a passable rendition of Rachmaninoff's second piano concerto. And Mozart. It always makes me a little sad that his music's not really playable on guitar.
Joseph Redman 2016 European Spruce/Cocobolo Rosewood
Córdoba C7 CD

Brian M

Post by Brian M » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:02 pm

Violin. They pull those itty-bitty things out of their itty-bitty cases, and they're freakishly loud right out of the case, no microphones, no amplifiers, no electricity needed. It's not FAIR!

Although, how they play those things, with no frets, not enough strings, and tuned backwards, is a mystery.

Kenbobpdx

Post by Kenbobpdx » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:07 pm

Piano and cello. I have a piano that I spent quite a bit of time learning to play. Always wanted to play blues piano so I learned quite a bit and kind of stopped.

Cello was my declared second instrument when I looked at a Masters in Performance program back in the 80s. Chose to get an MBA instead.
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

a human

Post by a human » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:17 pm

Something easy to carry around, plays well with other instruments and sounds good by itself. Violin? Mandolin? Sax?
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

Return to “The Café”