If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
andreas777

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by andreas777 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:54 pm

After learning piano and guitar I would like to play a wind instrument, either saxophone or transverse flute. I like the transverse flute as a rhythmical instrument in flamenco music. I also would like to play cajon, but I think playing on a cajon only makes sense together with other musicians in a flamenco band. Another instrument would be the violin, but I think I would probably lose my patience learning and playing this instrument after a short time. And finally I would like to sing (together with my guitar). I really can't sing but big challenges only make such a goal more fascinating.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

ddray

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by ddray » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:34 am

andreas777 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:54 pm
After learning piano and guitar I would like to play a wind instrument, either saxophone or transverse flute. I like the transverse flute as a rhythmical instrument in flamenco music. I also would like to play cajon, but I think playing on a cajon only makes sense together with other musicians in a flamenco band. Another instrument would be the violin, but I think I would probably lose my patience learning and playing this instrument after a short time. And finally I would like to sing (together with my guitar). I really can't sing but big challenges only make such a goal more fascinating.
I'm trying the flute myself. Finding and maintaining just the right embouchure is a challenge, for me anyway. But at least recognizable tones are coming out lol...It's going to be baby steps before I can even manage "Mary Had a Little Lamb". Hats off to flutists out there. Your instrument's pretty tough.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:38 am

ddray wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:34 am
andreas777 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:54 pm
I'm trying the flute myself. Finding and maintaining just the right embouchure is a challenge, for me anyway. But at least recognizable tones are coming out lol...It's going to be baby steps before I can even manage "Mary Had a Little Lamb". Hats off to flutists out there. Your instrument's pretty tough.
I'm not convinced that the flute is a tough instrument to play. Many years ago I had a girlfriend, she was a professional flutist and she confessed to me that flutists are among the laziest musicians. Ok, you struggle with producing a stable tone, but then it's easy. Just one note after the other. If you take the guitar... :D
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:36 pm

I just saw this post. I have always believed that the instruments musicians play closely approximate their personalities. I have rarely played with a saxophonist, trumpeter, trombonist or a drummer who was an introvert. They are generally extroverts. However, the same cannot be said about oboists, flutists, or say, harp players. We choose instruments, I believe, because they will approximate, for us, the voice we most seek to have for our musical expression as they relate to our unique personality type. The love of my life was and still is the tenor saxophone. There is no instrument, for me, that has such expressive possibilities one note at a time. I dedicated a significant part of my life to this instrument in both study and performance. It is today, after a 30 year prison sentence in my study closet, the instrument which I feel the most spiritually aligned. The CG, however, has taken on a new meaning for me over the years as I have gained a closer relationship with the instrument and its considerable lyrical and expressive possibilities. I do not consider myself a typical CG ,in personality, since it has been my observation that most CG's I have known and performed with in the last 25 years are typically introverts. Many times this is quite evident in their playing style exhibited by a weak, thin sound and tentative playing . . . even at more advanced levels. Of course, these are generalizations and there are always exceptions to the rule but personality does play a role in your choice of musical instruments as many of the previous remarks by respondents have so clearly stated. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

ddray

Post by ddray » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:11 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:38 am

I'm not convinced that the flute is a tough instrument to play. Many years ago I had a girlfriend, she was a professional flutist and she confessed to me that flutists are among the laziest musicians. Ok, you struggle with producing a stable tone, but then it's easy. Just one note after the other. If you take the guitar... :D
I hope you're right; I'd really like to learn how to play it :D But it's certainly true there's more to keep you busy in playing the guitar. I believe maybe I have too many irons in the fire when it comes to music, but I've always had a sort of "passing fancy" disease. :grin:

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:13 pm

ddray wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:11 pm
zupfgeiger wrote:

I hope you're right; I'd really like to learn how to play it :D But it's certainly true there's more to keep you busy in playing the guitar. I believe maybe I have too many irons in the fire when it comes to music, but I've always had a sort of "passing fancy" disease. :grin:

Any instrument is difficult to play well. Playing again . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

ddray

Post by ddray » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:21 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:13 pm
ddray wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:11 pm
zupfgeiger wrote:

Any instrument is difficult to play well. Playing again . . Rognvald
Yeah I would agree with that too. Having begun with the piano, for a long time I was kind of myopic and thinking that the piano was obviously the be-all and end-all. At least I've found out that ain't necessarily so.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:56 pm

All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:11 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:56 pm
This one?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=116994

Stunning instrument, Rick. I suppose you also prefer a bamboo fly rod. Playing again . . .Rognvald

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:16 pm

There certainly used to be too many flautists, but I assume it was because flutes were relatively cheap, not because they were easy to play. They were also very small when cased, and tended to appeal most to girls? I don't recall many boys learning them, even though James Galway should have inspired them.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

ddray

Post by ddray » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:43 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:16 pm
There certainly used to be too many flautists, but I assume it was because flutes were relatively cheap, not because they were easy to play. They were also very small when cased, and tended to appeal most to girls? I don't recall many boys learning them, even though James Galway should have inspired them.
Yeah, I remember in high school that boys who took band would be mortified at the very thought of having to play flute. Or clarinet for that matter. Those were "girly" instruments. Funny how things are. And almost all harpists I've seen are women. Don't know why.
Last edited by ddray on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:05 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:11 pm
Rick Beauregard wrote:
This one?

Stunning instrument, Rick. I suppose you also prefer a bamboo fly rod. Playing again . . .Rognvald
Maybe, Rog. But I prefer a vintage Torres too and that’s out of my price range compared to Steve’s reproduction. It’s hard to beat even cheap graphite.

But along the lines of a previous post: your choices say something about your personality.

Classical or electric guitar?
Fly fishing or spin casting?
Backpacking or RVing?
Sailing or Speed boating?
Prius or Escalade?
MaryAnne or Ginger?
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

ddray

Post by ddray » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:58 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:05 pm

Backpacking or RVing?
Prius or Escalade?
MaryAnne or Ginger?
I'll take the first in each pair. :)

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:20 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Rognvald wrote:
Rick Beauregard wrote:
This one?

Maybe, Rog. But I prefer a vintage Torres too and that’s out of my price range compared to Steve’s reproduction. It’s hard to beat even cheap graphite.

But along the lines of a previous post: your choices say something about your personality.

Backpacking or RVing?
Prius or Escalade?
MaryAnne or Ginger?
OK, Rick,
Classical Guitar, Saltwater and Freshwater Fly-fisherman, Upland game bird and duck hunter, Offshore sailboat sailor, numerous vehicles and ,of course, Ginger, albeit a Ginger with a brain--they do exist, you know. Playing again . . .Rognvald

RaajShinde

Post by RaajShinde » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:41 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Rognvald wrote:
Rick Beauregard wrote:
This one?

Backpacking or RVing?
Prius or Escalade?
MaryAnne or Ginger?
So what's the verdict if one wants both from the same category? :)
The Sage is occupied with the unspoken
and acts without effort.
Teaching without verbosity,
producing without possessing,
creating without regard to result,
claiming nothing,
the Sage has nothing to lose.

Return to “The Café”