If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Bill B

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by Bill B » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:20 am

a human wrote:
Bill B wrote:J.G. Albrechtsberger wrote a concerto for jews harp. Just sayin'.
I'd like to hear that!

I have one, but call it a mouth harp. Also a kazoo and harmonica.

What about spoons? Not only are they easy to carry, but they serve double duty. : :sorride:
you can find it on youtube. Its interesting. Amusing even.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

Alan Green

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by Alan Green » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:39 am

Clarinet - because then there are opportunities with both orchestra and band music, and I do like a bit of jazz

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:06 am

Keyboard for sure - hard to go back from polyphonic
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:24 am

I wouldn't mind being a sousaphone virtuoso. Or perhaps a double bass. It's just that it's not practical to carry around a double bass.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

brianvds

Post by brianvds » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:32 am

Two very contrasting instruments come to mind. One is the piano/keyboard. As others have pointed out, there is really no comparison between it and anything else. Western music is pretty much based on it, the repertoire is huge, contains some of the very best things ever written, it is endlessly versatile.

I actually have an ancient keyboard, but it is not directly at hand at the moment. Piano was my first instrument, but I haven't played in ages. On the down aide, it is not readily portable.

And so, my other choice would be, for reasons I cannot quite articulate, the recorder. And no, not the soprano, with which kids torture music teachers in school. Alto and tenor all the way. Fairly cheap, easily portable, lovely, mellow sound, can play just about any tune. Plus, I like medieval and folks music.

Sandaun

Post by Sandaun » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:47 am

Hard to say. I already play trombone in an admittedly amateurish manner in a brass band, and love it to bits ... or at least that's the impression I make on the music I play. Still haven't mastered the Band March genre, dammit! Other than that, I've made a start on cello, and yes, it's challenging enough to make me want to continue. Then there's the Oud, and it's relative the Lute ... and the Viola da Gamba ... and did I ever mention I once made a start on the pedal steel guitar? (The pedal steel guitar is one of the great blending instruments, like the organ or the french horn. If only composers wrote for the pedal steel the way they wrote for the french horn or organ! Rant Over.) Then there's flute and clarinet and saxophone ... and french horn ... and the tabla and pakhawaj and mridangam and khol ... and conga ... mustn't forget the conga! Some of my happiest musical moments have been banging out a rhythm on a pair of conga! If keyboards, then I'd choose the organ. Next the clavichord. Then the clavinet ... hard to argue with pure funkadelic sound!
"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor, Method for Guitar

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:33 am

Sandaun wrote:The pedal steel guitar is one of the great blending instruments, like the organ or the french horn.
:?:
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

robinfw

Post by robinfw » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:26 am

This one is so easy.

It would be another classical guitar.

lifewithasong

Post by lifewithasong » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:48 pm

I would dedicate myself to learning and performing jazz on the piano. This is my second love in music!
Esse quam videri

pmiklitz

Post by pmiklitz » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:31 pm

Sandaun wrote:The pedal steel guitar is one of the great blending instruments, like the organ or the french horn.
Pedal steel guitar reminds me of Country music. Yuck!

Peter
Dringt durch des Aberglaubens Nacht, die Euch zu finstern Köpfen macht. Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715 - 1769)

a human

Post by a human » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:21 pm

pmiklitz wrote:
Pedal steel guitar reminds me of Country music. Yuck!

Peter
Wait wait. There is "country" and there is the real deal, old time and blue grass. Don't throw the good stuff out with the bad stuff.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

razz

Post by razz » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:42 pm

I thought cello once. Now I think marimbas, xylophone or vibraphone.

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:24 pm

The squeezebox I meant was the little octagonal one . I would not disrespect the full blown accordian .But since the rise of internet forums another old instrument could make a comeback. The Shakuhachi which is a thick bamboo with holes drilled in it . The ancient story is that they served a double purpose as a weapon of defence. (Dee - fence ).Imagine how handy that would be in a clash of opinions .

Butch Alan

Post by Butch Alan » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:16 pm

I'll bet I could play a swinging ocarina if I put my mind to it.

MarkInLA

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Insrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by MarkInLA » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:15 am

doug wrote:Probably an upright bass?
I did this for many many years. When the gigs began to disappear due to DJs, Karaoke, synthesizer (replacing musicians in the studio) and pre-taped shows in Las Vegas, I took early retirement and sold all my bass stuff (old German upright and '64 Fender P bass).. I then went back to classical and jazz guitars and found my reach development and muscle memory on guitar to be really screwed up due to fingering/plucking those 4 long fat bass strings for so long.. Some 5 years away from bass and I still seem to have the damage. I also harmed my what used to be, excellent hearing..Don't go there ! Or better put, don't go to another stringed instrument... M

Return to “The Café”