If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
MarkInLA

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by MarkInLA » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:26 am

If was to to be a permanent change to a new instrument it certainly would be piano... I did some time on it long ago and was getting pretty good at reading the 2 clefs and improvising. I find the piano to actually be easier than guitar; no odd/tough finger contortions and 2 hands/fingers independant of one another....But I always gravitate back to guitar....M

Lovemyguitar

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:28 am

amezcua wrote:The squeezebox I meant was the little octagonal one...
Yes, so did I: it is called a concertina. (I was not making it up! Google it! :D ).

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:50 am

Cello. Love that deep, dark sound. Plus you get to play sitting down with the weight of it supported by the ground. Wouldn't want to have to carry it around though.

brianvds

Post by brianvds » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:22 am

Lovemyguitar wrote:
amezcua wrote:The squeezebox I meant was the little octagonal one...
Yes, so did I: it is called a concertina. (I was not making it up! Google it! :D ).
Here in South Africa, the concertina is one of the standard instruments for a local folk music style known as boeremusiek (literally, "farmer's music" or "Boer music"). I can't frickin' stand it. :-)

Waddya know - there's a Wikipedia article on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeremusiek

And here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gojYNUa ... bysZPDiO8g

This stuff should be controlled by international treaties regulating weapons of mass destruction or something. ;-)

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:28 am

brianvds wrote:...This stuff should be controlled by international treaties regulating weapons of mass destruction or something. ;-)
Thanks (I think!) for those links. :D I quite agree, it's a bit much -- I am not a fan of the instrument, either.

pmiklitz

Post by pmiklitz » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:59 am

Another instrument I would like to be able to play is the chromatic harmonica. Just sends shivers down my spine when I listen to Toots Thieleman (RIP) or Stevie Wonder playing it.

Peter
Dringt durch des Aberglaubens Nacht, die Euch zu finstern Köpfen macht. Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715 - 1769)

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:21 am

The tenor banjo is a beautiful thing, but I wouldn't do much with one other than noodle.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

R_Pegio

Post by R_Pegio » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:24 pm

For those above who are vacillating between the accordion and the concertina don't forget there is a compromise - the bandoneon, and if you should ever find yourself in Argentina you might just be fortunate enough to have a sinuous, seductive tanguista slithering sexily around you!
It doesn't take any brains to listen to music.

Luciano Pavarotti

Kent

Post by Kent » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:38 pm

pmiklitz wrote:
Sandaun wrote:The pedal steel guitar is one of the great blending instruments, like the organ or the french horn.
Pedal steel guitar reminds me of Country music. Yuck!

Peter
If played the right way (inside the right music), there is nothing more beautiful than a pedal steel.

pmiklitz

Post by pmiklitz » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:30 am

Kent wrote:If played the right way (inside the right music), there is nothing more beautiful than a pedal steel.
It should be quite suitable for Blues, but I don't know how commonly it's used in that genre.

Peter
Dringt durch des Aberglaubens Nacht, die Euch zu finstern Köpfen macht. Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715 - 1769)

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:05 am

Cello, that's why I love deep tuned guitars like my Ober with a pitch between D and E. Extraordinary basses which strongly remind me of a cello.
Last edited by zupfgeiger on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

Sandaun

Post by Sandaun » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:06 am

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Sandaun wrote:The pedal steel guitar is one of the great blending instruments, like the organ or the french horn.
:?:
Simple. The french horn is used in Chamber Music, f'rinstance, to blend flutes with oboes and clarinets ... the organ - or at least I've heard it played that way, can be used to blend a choir with a string band or wind band. The pedal steel is used to blend acoustic with electric instruments.

It's got tonal qualities shared by the organ and the french horn - smooth legato and punchy staccato.
"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor, Method for Guitar

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:21 pm

Fancy that. Sir Charles Wheatstone was one of the inventors of the accordian as well as telegraphy . The Small 6 sided model and not octagonal as I said sounds very scary in the sample above. And old Hilter brought them back into marching bands as they had been expelled from normal orchestras . You can`t keep old H out of anything . (Spelled wrong just in case .) I used to like some of those marching songs and when I found them on youtube I was amazed at the hate comments still bubbling away under the surface . Very scary stuff . Surely it should be banned or deleted .

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:25 pm

Cello, no doubt!
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Hill

Post by Hill » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:40 am

Cello, for the amazing sound
Ukulele, its so light and a lovely instrument
There was no one in Molching who could play exactly like him. It was a style not of perfection, but warmth. Even mistakes had a good feeling about them. - The Book Thief

Return to “The Café”