If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
brianvds

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by brianvds » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:35 am

Now see what this thread did to me? Scarcely did I mention the piano in an earlier post, or I find myself drawn back to it...

kirolak

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by kirolak » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:28 pm

The cello. . . . but the prospect of that high action has deterred me!

Smith

Post by Smith » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:10 am

Piano flute trumpet harmonica and drums (you betcha)

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:40 pm

Harmonica would be a good choice because you are not always confined to Equal Temperament . And if you played one when you were very young there is something more natural about it. I was never taught to play one. I just learned the tunes myself. But if I pick up a harmonica now with a 30 year gap I can still get a tune that I have never played before . I seem to be able to put it together without written music . The idea of music for harmonica seemed strange . So that`s not sight reading or memorising . It`s not really improvising either. More like whistling I suppose . I used to enjoy Max Geldray`s playing. We should hear more of him these days .I just listened to some and it seems much noisier than I remember. Tastes change .

Bobbio84

Post by Bobbio84 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:09 am

Orff xylophones... In fact I already am dedicating myself to them as an elementary school teacher. Such beautiful accessible instruments.
Alhambra 3C (nylon)
Yamaha SLG200N (nylon-electric)
Washburn D42SCE (steel)
Fender Piha'eu (ukulele)

dory

Post by dory » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:30 am

I would play piano because once you play a polyphonic instrument it is hard to play one that isn't. Also I love Chopin, and his music tends to sound not completely its best on the guitar in my opinion, Roland Dyens (who could make ANYTHING sound good) notwithstanding. I prefer the guitar though. The piano's sound quality is too consistent and standardized. The only difference is in volume. You can't do anything else. As a distant third I would play alto recorder. I used to play it in my youth and medieval music is fun. The alto recorder is much less shrill than the soprano.
Dory

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:52 pm

I, too, would choose the piano, and have done so! (Haven't play guitar in nearly 18 months.) I think it has vastly more interesting music written for it, and the polyphony, as dory pointed out, is very appealing. I disagree with him that the "sound quality is too consistent and standardized." A very skilled pianist, such as Horowitz, Richter, Sokolov, Pogorelich, Brendel, Uchida, etc. can coax many sounds and colors out of the piano--it's just not as easy or noticeable as on the guitar.
Greg Byers 2016 cedar/Ind
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br (for sale)

KeMe

Post by KeMe » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:10 am

I would dedicate myself to that beautiful Celtic harp sitting in the corner. There are only so many hours in a day and it just doesn't have the priority on my time that my guitar and my guitar classes do. But....it does look pretty.
Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:15 am

tubeman wrote:... I disagree ... that the "sound quality [of a piano] is too consistent and standardized." A very skilled pianist, such as Horowitz, Richter, Sokolov, Pogorelich, Brendel, Uchida, etc. can coax many sounds and colors out of the piano--it's just not as easy or noticeable as on the guitar.
Indeed, I think that you are absolutely right about that! I would add Walter Gieseking to that list, too. When I listen to such great pianists, I almost don't notice the piano itself, because all I hear is "music" -- similarly with great guitarists (such as Bream), etc., it is as if the instrument disappears and just the music remains (if anybody understands what I mean by that!).

nindeguerre

Post by nindeguerre » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:38 pm

I'm already playing two instruments (the piano and the classical guitar), and I used to play the violin. But if I had the chance it would definitely be the cello. I deeply regret not learning it when I was younger.
2004 Esteve 1GR01. Cedar-topped.

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:03 am

I have always wanted to play cello but it's too bulky. I also fancy the oboe but I have asthma so it's not the best choice for me. My uncle, and his uncle, both play oboe in orchestras and it's a wonderful instrument that takes a long time to master.

I took piano lessons for years and can noodle but gave it up enough to realize that I'm stuck with CG forever.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:21 pm

tormodg wrote:I have always wanted to play cello but it's too bulky. I also fancy the oboe but I have asthma so it's not the best choice for me. My uncle, and his uncle, both play oboe in orchestras and it's a wonderful instrument that takes a long time to master.

I took piano lessons for years and can noodle but gave it up enough to realize that I'm stuck with CG forever.
Ah, the oboe, what a marvelous instrument, but at least as difficult as the guitar. But such a joy to listen to. Preferably Mozart oboe concerto in C. TMHO one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever composed.
Last edited by zupfgeiger on Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:50 pm

zupfgeiger wrote: Mozart oboe concerto in C. TMHO one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever composed.
Err, yes, it's nice. I used to have vinyl of Heinz Holliger playing it coupled with the Richard Strauss oboe concerto. That was a good combination. But there are quite a lot of flautists who think it was originally written for flute. I don't know their reasons.
I saw Holliger play it live at the Barbican once but he played the third movement too fast. But I remember a musician friend in the Seventies telling me that Holliger is never as good live as he is on record.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:53 pm

Andrew, some experts might regard it as "nice", not more. But as I said, TMHO... :D
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Feynman

Post by Feynman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:09 pm

Lute(s) for me.
-mitch

Return to “The Café”