driverless cars

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Jeffrey Armbruster

Re: driverless cars

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:24 pm

"But when for-profit companies will lose it all if their products fail, you can bet they are doing everything they can make them rock solid."

Why just think of banks! Or credit card companies, or insurance companies...they're never hacked! Oh wait that's not true at all.

Everything is hacked. Banks simply build the cost of hacks into their products.

"Driverless cars are not being rushed." Again, I'll reference Uber. They're willing to defy the law in order to rush their driverless car program, which yes has bugs. S.F. has a lot of bicyclists. Ubercars don't always 'see' them. Apparently Uber could care less. My guess is that they're also willing to build in the cost of lawsuits into their fares. They'll make a bundle by not having to pay drivers. Oh, and it may be they're balking at getting permits in order to avoid having to report accidents, which permitting requires. Bad press, you know.

S.F. is known for traffic, long steep hills, fog and bicyclists. Uber said, 'hey let's test our cars here!'.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:23 pm

Putting aside all debate on whether a driverless car future is on balance good or bad, likely or unlikely; this 4 minute TED animated video is fascinating as it takes a look at an ethical dilemma thrown up by driverless cars. In an unavoidable crash situation (they will happen though perhaps less often than today) how do we want the car to react? Who should it prioritise, its passenger or other road users? Who makes that decision, the programmers months in advance? What follows from that? Would it be better if its response was totally random?

Really thought provoking.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ixIoDYVfKA0

tom0311
Amateur luthier

Post by tom0311 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:29 pm

I mostly agree but working in IT security I can say that it's not only government establishments where security is a joke. For-profit companies are being breached all the time. Look at what happened to Target, there are many more similar cases every single year.

I guess driverless cars are going to happen, so I will have my fingers crossed.
“There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.”

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:32 am

I think that computer assisted cars are a more likely scenario for the future than completely driverless cars. I saw a t.v. ad for a new car that has warnings for when you drift out of a lane, warnings for the blind spot in your mirror, and I think brake over-ride; that is, if you drop your burger in your lap and aren't eyeing the road in front, it will brake if there's a crash or slow down ahead. Other features are sure to follow.

Remember cars that park automatically? Driverless parallel parking? I don't know how well this was received, but I don't see ads featuring it. I personally pride myself on my parallel parking. I don't want to hand it over to a computer.

In any case, I would imagine that drivers will still need to be alert with hands on the wheel and foot ready at the brake, particularly in city traffic. So no robot cars, but rather enhanced cars that will make driving safer in conjunction with a person at the wheel.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:29 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:I think that computer assisted cars are a more likely scenario for the future than completely driverless cars. I saw a t.v. ad for a new car that has warnings for when you drift out of a lane, warnings for the blind spot in your mirror, and I think brake over-ride; that is, if you drop your burger in your lap and aren't eyeing the road in front, it will brake if there's a crash or slow down ahead. Other features are sure to follow.

Remember cars that park automatically? Driverless parallel parking? I don't know how well this was received, but I don't see ads featuring it. I personally pride myself on my parallel parking. I don't want to hand it over to a computer.

In any case, I would imagine that drivers will still need to be alert with hands on the wheel and foot ready at the brake, particularly in city traffic. So no robot cars, but rather enhanced cars that will make driving safer in conjunction with a person at the wheel.
+1

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:22 am

Just purchased my first Autonomous car but it is not driverless. Has all the hardware with 8 cameras and 12 radar sensors. I will use it for long term highway driving as an added safe measure. The Car is so fun to drive why would I want it driverless. By this time next year the software will be fully tested and released to other Tesla owners. see below

https://www.tesla.com/models
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)
2012 Michel Bruck ,2012 Martin Blackwell, 2001 Dominique Field
Cedar, 2014 Joshua DeJonge,

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:56 am

Dofpic wrote: The Car is so fun to drive why would I want it driverless.
Another valid reason why it probably won't/can't happen fully.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:43 am

Dofpic wrote:... The Car is so fun to drive why would I want it driverless. …
"Fun" and driving are not two words that generally go together. :-)

Montana and Italy are about the same size but one Montana has a population about the same as Bologna and its outskirts. The Rome metro area has 4x the population of Montana.

Even my younger colleagues in Germany are getting cars with all sorts of "drive assist" packages because spending 4+ plus hours a day in city traffic just getting around to do your job is so tiring and stressful. The only fun thing is parking the car at the end of the day's work.

I had a look at Whitefish on wikipedia - looks like a pretty cool nice place.

tom0311
Amateur luthier

Post by tom0311 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:45 pm

I agree Simon. When my commute was 15 miles each way I had fun cars and loved it. Now it's at least 50 each way and incredibly boring, I'll never touch a manual again, and I've got a slow car that has arm chairs for seats. Commuting for work seems like the biggest waste of time now connectivity is so advanced. I'd hate to know how long people spend doing it every year.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:22 pm

tom0311 wrote:… I'd hate to know how long people spend doing it every year.
Easy: Some of my colleagues spend 2+ hours per day = 10 hours a week = 40 hours per month. (round numbers) So a full working week per month out of your private life for the privilege of working for someone else somewhere else. If you are doing 50 miles in UK conditions then you are probably at 3 hours a day.

100 miles a day at say 25p a mile is about STG 500 a month car costs. Given what the taxman takes out of your pay packet you have to earn quite a bit more for privilege of getting to work. One of our US members here mentioned driving 100 miles each way to work. I can't even imagine it.

tom0311
Amateur luthier

Post by tom0311 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:29 pm

Oh it's easy to work out, I just try not to think about it. 3 hours a day is about right. When I'm in London (around 10 days a month) it's more like 6 hours a day. The more I think about it, the thought of working at the spar down the road becomes quite attractive. At least I'd get some time to spend on guitars.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:44 pm

tom0311 wrote: … The more I think about it, the thought of working at the spar down the road becomes quite attractive. …
Money is useful but can be acquired in various ways. Time is perishable. When its gone, its gone.

I sometimes think of a lot of what we as being "symbolic actions" - i.e. we rush around to collect colored bits of paper which we circulate in order to feel important or something like that. Then one day we realize that the symbolic actions did nothing much for us except structure time in essentially non-productive form.

Enough. Better grab a glass and get a drink. :-)

tom0311
Amateur luthier

Post by tom0311 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:58 pm

Yes, rather depressing really. It's very easy to get stuck in a routine and wake up x years later wondering where the time has gone, and why you spent all that time on stuff you don't care about in the slightest outside of working hours. Ho hum. Happy new year!

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:10 pm

lagartija wrote:The Star Trek transporter would be the best solution. Who wants to be the first human to try it out? :twisted:
Also, disassembling someone and beaming them would take a significant amount of power, so we have to harness the matter/antimatter thing first.
Transporter seems to be the wrong name for that particular piece of kit. It doesn't really transport anything; it destroys the original and recreates it somewhere else. Legally, if you used a transporter, you would be dead, and the thing now claiming to be you would be a machine-made imposter.

Dr McCoy explains the process (in Spock Must Die! by James Blish) as follows:

...the effect of the transporter is to dissolve my body and reassemble it somewhere else.
at the other end, a body is assembled which is apparently identical with the original, is alive, has consciousness, and has all the memories of the original. But it is NOT the original. That has been destroyed.
I am, by definition, not the same man who went into a transporter for the first time twenty years ago. I am a construct made by a machine after the image of a dead man - and the hell of it is, not even I can know how exact the imitation is, because - well, because obviously if anything is missing I wouldn't remember it.

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:13 pm

And (slightly more) related to driverless cars, surely it would be far easier to make trains, particularly electric tube trains, driverless? But as far as I am aware, no-one seems to be working on that.

Return to “The Café”