driverless cars

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Pat Dodson

Re: driverless cars

Postby Pat Dodson » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:26 pm

Evocacion wrote:And (slightly more) related to driverless cars, surely it would be far easier to make trains, particularly electric tube trains, driverless? But as far as I am aware, no-one seems to be working on that.

These are already quite common across Asia and in Copenhagen and Barcelona. In Britain we have the Docklands Light Railway and a couple of shuttle services at our airports. Plans proceed to make parts of London's tube service driverless in the middle of the 2020s.

More here:

http://www.thememo.com/2015/11/20/night ... ss-trains/

Jorge Oliveira

Postby Jorge Oliveira » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:46 pm

Evocacion wrote:
Transporter seems to be the wrong name for that particular piece of kit. It doesn't really transport anything; it destroys the original and recreates it somewhere else. Legally, if you used a transporter, you would be dead, and the thing now claiming to be you would be a machine-made imposter.

Dr McCoy explains the process (in Spock Must Die! by James Blish) as follows:

...the effect of the transporter is to dissolve my body and reassemble it somewhere else.
at the other end, a body is assembled which is apparently identical with the original, is alive, has consciousness, and has all the memories of the original. But it is NOT the original. That has been destroyed.
I am, by definition, not the same man who went into a transporter for the first time twenty years ago. I am a construct made by a machine after the image of a dead man - and the hell of it is, not even I can know how exact the imitation is, because - well, because obviously if anything is missing I wouldn't remember it.

We could go even further... :). If I can reassemble someone elsewhere, this means I've stored the corresponding information before starting beaming it an reassembling it somewhere. Why not, then, to beam it over and over again to the same place, or to some other place, or even, why not to beam n copies of it simultaneously? In this way one could have an army of clone individuals. Exact copies of objects could be "manufactured" this way or sent by e-mail directly to the end customer... :D. No more factories, only design centres...
Aria A558, 655 mm, Cedar, 1987, Nagoya, Japan
Hermanos Camps Master, 650 mm, Cedar, 2014 (Nº 3), Spain

R.V.S.

Postby R.V.S. » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:45 am

Andrew Pohlman wrote:One critical thing mentioned in that write up :: "the rush to bring new 'smart' devices to market will unfortunately mean that many of them will have critical flaws" :: keyword being "rush". Driverless cars are not being rushed. Nor are they being developed by the foolhardy. Yes, we need to pay attention the potential for destructive hacking. It's rats and holes. I am confident that excellent and safe design will be achieved.

Lame system admins are usually the root cause of systems hacks. Rushing or cutting security corners is usually the culprit of security failures for engineered products. I work for a government agency, and I can tell you security is a joke. If driverless cars were a government run program, yeah, I'd be worried. But when for-profit companies will lose it all if their products fail, you can bet they are doing everything they can make them rock solid.

Will there be problems. Undoubtedly. Will those problems be solved. In my opinion, yes.

Cheers to that. Although we take them for granted on a day-to-day basis, modern cars are engineering marvels. The major manufacturers employ some of the best mechanical and electrical engineers in the world. In time, they may also employ some of the best software engineers. The fact that Google and Apple - the tech companies that already employ those software engineers - are dabbling with automobiles suggests that there's going to be fierce competition on that front.

(On the other hand, for every Google, there's a Yahoo....... it's just the world we live in...)

Pat Dodson

Postby Pat Dodson » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:51 am

Following Amazon's patent for a flying warehouse

(https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.cnbc.c ... ent=safari)

comes news of its latest innovative venture - The Driverless Drone Hairbrush.

Insiders tell me that Amazon is planning a joint venture with L'Oreal which has just launched The Hair Coach, an intelligent hairbrush that listens for breaking hair and adjusts its grooming strength to limit this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38503932

The Driverless Drone Hair Coach is fitted with 4 small propellers and has a range of 10 miles. Users will be able to call up the DDHC via an app and the brush, with a top speed of 120 mph will be with the customer within 5 minutes. Once there the brush hovers over the customer's head, its sensors and gyroscope enabling it to brush the hair with care even as the customer walks around eating breakfast.

Tests in California have seen few hitches though one young woman did lose great clumps of hair when the wind blew it into the drone's rotors. Currently aviation rules for drones do not allow it within 100 yards of a building so the tests have been carried out in open fields making them somewhat susceptible to weather conditions. However Amazon expects that public and aviation confidence will build and that within a few years authorities will allow the drones to fly into backyards where wind conditions are more controlled.

The user's app will contain details of the user's hair type and length and of their preferred hairstyle and grooming method. During grooming the drone's sensors will update all this information and suggest new hairstyles that the user might like and hair products that are suited to the user's grooming needs.

A spokesman for Amazon said "In the future no one will own a hand-powered hairbrush. Instead we will all call up a DDHC from the nearest Amazon flying warehouse via the DDHC app and put the kettle on while we wait the few minutes for it to arrive. We expect to see a revolution in backyard grooming."

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:19 am

:lol: :lol: :bravo:

Pat Dodson, the Jonathan Swift of Delcamp.

Flying warehouses...anyone else get the feeling that insanity is the creeping up on us?

Evocacion

Postby Evocacion » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:46 pm

And after the Driverless Drone hairbrush the next logical step would be the Driverless Drone Razor!

A Straight Razor* tied to a drone should be fine, provided the software driving it is reasonably accurate.
And provided your facial features are average - unusually large ears, for example, might be at risk.

Straight razors are also known as cut-throat razors...

Pat Dodson

Postby Pat Dodson » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:06 pm

Evocacion wrote:And after the Driverless Drone hairbrush the next logical step would be the Driverless Drone Razor!

A Straight Razor* tied to a drone should be fine, provided the software driving it is reasonably accurate.
And provided your facial features are average - unusually large ears, for example, might be at risk.

Love it!
I reckon that sensors and software based on those in car washes should do it. What do think of 'The Evocacion Droneglide' as a name for the drone razor? Maybe you could approach the Amazon development department ?

Evocacion

Postby Evocacion » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:43 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:
Evocacion wrote:And after the Driverless Drone hairbrush the next logical step would be the Driverless Drone Razor!

Love it!
I reckon that sensors and software based on those in car washes should do it. What do think of 'The Evocacion Droneglide' as a name for the drone razor? Maybe you could approach the Amazon development department ?

Hmmm. If Amazon decide to run with this (and I certainly wouldn't put it past them), I think I would prefer NOT to have my name associated with it in any way!

Evocacion

Postby Evocacion » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:44 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:
Evocacion wrote:And (slightly more) related to driverless cars, surely it would be far easier to make trains, particularly electric tube trains, driverless? But as far as I am aware, no-one seems to be working on that.

These are already quite common across Asia and in Copenhagen and Barcelona. In Britain we have the Docklands Light Railway and a couple of shuttle services at our airports. Plans proceed to make parts of London's tube service driverless in the middle of the 2020s.

More here:

http://www.thememo.com/2015/11/20/night ... ss-trains/

And you are quite right about this Pat. Perhaps I should get out more...

Pat Dodson

Postby Pat Dodson » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:01 pm

Evocacion wrote:
Pat Dodson wrote:

Love it!

Hmmm. If Amazon decide to run with this (and I certainly wouldn't put it past them), I think I would prefer NOT to have my name associated with it in any way!

Yes, that's understandable. Still it's a shame not to recognise your parenting of this idea at least tangentially.
If not Evocacion Droneglide then how about
Decapitacion Droneglide?

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:58 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:Decapitacion Droneglide?

:lol:

David Conti

Postby David Conti » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:49 pm

So the NSA can turn on your cell phone, listen in, use the camera and see everything being typed on emails etc.
What happens when you have a "bad thought" and get into your self driving car and the state determines you need to be "re-educated"
Perhaps your driverless car will have a bit of an accident.
And what about all those kids having accidents on bicycles? They sound much too dangerous to keep around.
And motorcycles, don't even think about it! Just take your pill and get back to work.
"If you want a picture of the future,imagine a boot stomping on a human face-forever" 1984 by George Orwell

Jeffrey Armbruster

Postby Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:18 pm

Amazon and other 'free enterprise', ummm, monopolies, are far, far more intrusive and active in peoples' daily lives than the NSA, which couldn't care less about what's said on a classical guitar forum. Not that I share David's dark imaginings. I don't have enough money for Amazon to care about me either!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Return to “The Café”