driverless cars

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Andrew Pohlman

Re: driverless cars

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue May 30, 2017 5:27 pm

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:46 pm
We could go even further... :). If I can reassemble someone elsewhere, this means I've stored the corresponding information before starting beaming it an reassembling it somewhere. Why not, then, to beam it over and over again to the same place, or to some other place, or even, why not to beam n copies of it simultaneously? ...
The answer is ethics, laws, and storage capacity versus real time streaming. I know that futuristic computers have gargantuan amounts of memory, but the data stream of disassembling the human body atom by atom, is far too much info to store. So, being transported is done via real time streaming. All you need to accommodate is the data throughput, with no worries about lag from storage devices. I think they buffer some of the signal, but not all. That's why you see a partial reconstruction, and they can't finish it in real time ... oops ... transporter accident.

lolz - I'm talking as if this stuff is real... :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue May 30, 2017 9:47 pm

I wanted to give this thread a bump via a mildly informative article. I love the "bug with a Darth Vader helmet" for day to day driving. But I absolutely must own the Mercedes concept car : maybe after I win Super Lotto. I can have it drive me around the streets of Rio de Janero and back to my villa on the coast. :D Click through the pictures and you can read a small blurb for each.

On another relevant note: Forbes reports the lead driverless car engineer at Uber was fired because he happened to send himself oodles of technical documents, officially known as industrial theft, when he left Google (or Waymo) and came to Uber.

What I'm wondering is how the conventional Automakers will react to all this. Tesla will design and build and sell. But will Uber and Google just design and farm out building to the big automakers? I can't find info on how this is playing out. I mean, if the big boyz don't have designs for driverless cars, how will they compete? Will they even stay in business?
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue May 30, 2017 10:29 pm

I bet the technology isn't that difficult to design. I'm sure that all of the big auto makers have designs and/or prototypes in the works.

Uber has made itself unwelcome wherever it goes, it seems. Good old style ruthless capitalism on display.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Wed May 31, 2017 1:35 am

Elon Musk says they will have an existing Tesla Model S with current AP2 hardware drive fully autonomous from LA to NYC by year end. The current release of software is so amazing in assisting the driving and you cannot even find the 8 cameras it uses unless you know where to look. Every time a Tesla uses the autopilot they know back at headquarters so they already have over a billion miles driven in testing. I amyself have driven about 20k miles on the driver assisted version and they learn from all of this. The other automakers are way behind.
2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2014 Joshua DeJonge Cedar( for sale) 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed May 31, 2017 1:47 am

Tesla does seem to have gotten the jump on everyone in a lot of ways.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

doug

Post by doug » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:12 pm

I'm sure I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not the least bit interested in a driverless car, because I enjoy driving. One type of driverless vehicle DOES make perfect sense to me......farm equipment. A tractor or combine goes back and forth in the field. There are no pedestrians, no other vehicles to look our for, no changing 'road' conditions, no bicyclists, etc.
I grew up on, and still live on, a farm. Even though I rent the land out, I still get a couple of farm magazines. Inside the back cover of this months, "Progressive Farmer," is a full page ad for a tractor company. The top third of the page is a picture of their assembly plant in 1842, showing steam powered tractors with steel wheels in various stages of completion. The colorful banner across the center third of the page says, "We were born in the field 175 years ago, and have raised the bar ever since." The bottom third of the page is a picture of a modern, all-wheel-drive, driverless tractor pulling an enormous set of planters across rolling hills. ....neat !!!
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:28 pm

Yes that is real progress. I really enjoy driving too but the Tesla autopilot sure is nice on long trips!
2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2014 Joshua DeJonge Cedar( for sale) 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:23 pm

I ended up being pleased to discover that airplanes flew on auto pilot one day when we landed in Oakland in a fog so dense that you couldn't see the landing strip until seconds before the plane touched down. That strip is surrounded by water. At the start of the flight my friend had made a joke about a pilot named Waterly Gravely coming on the intercom to welcome us aboard.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:37 pm

Driverless cars are guaranteed to be yet the latest and most pernicious intrusion by government into our private lives. Not only will miles/usage hours be dictated and regulated by the government, but our every movement will be tracked and recorded, adding still another layer to government control and access to the most intimate and private aspects of our lives.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:32 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:37 pm
Driverless cars are guaranteed to be yet the latest and most pernicious intrusion by government into our private lives. Not only will miles/usage hours be dictated and regulated by the government, but our every movement will be tracked and recorded, adding still another layer to government control and access to the most intimate and private aspects of our lives.

Ramon
It is not jus the government tracking you. All companies keep track of what you do and buy, so why single out the government?

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:57 pm

astro64 wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:32 pm
Ramon Amira wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:37 pm

Ramon
It is not jus the government tracking you. All companies keep track of what you do and buy, so why single out the government?
Because this thread is about driverless cars, which if and when they come about will be regulated, rationed, monitored, and recorded by the government, not companies.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:14 am

Maybe in NYC. Not out here in Montana!

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:14 am

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:08 pm

Oh they'll come all right ... and with them the most disruptive tsunami of unemployment the world has ever seen
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Dofpic wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:14 am
You're kidding yourself. This will be regulated by the federal government, not the states. Being in Montana won't help you. Remember - Big Brother is watching you.

Ramon

Return to “The Café”