driverless cars

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Marko Räsänen

Re: driverless cars

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:31 pm

There's an interesting trial starting in La Trobe University campus in Melbourne featuring an autonomous form of public transport.
http://www.latrobe.edu.au/technology-infusion/autonobus

There is currently a human operated shuttle bus driving 20 minute loop around the campus called the "glider", that is free of charge to students, staff and anyone. Autonobus could be a way to reduce the cost of that service.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:52 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:31 pm
There's an interesting trial starting in La Trobe University campus in Melbourne featuring an autonomous form of public transport.
http://www.latrobe.edu.au/technology-infusion/autonobus

There is currently a human operated shuttle bus driving 20 minute loop around the campus called the "glider", that is free of charge to students, staff and anyone. Autonobus could be a way to reduce the cost of that service.
Not going to reduce the cost much anytime soon. From the link above:

“...Autonobus will operate along Science Drive at La Trobe University’s Bundoora Campus, supervised by an operator at all times.”

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:04 pm

Yes, Pat, supervised during the trial, but surely the name implies that the goal is for the bus to eventually operate without supervision. Or to have multiple buses remotely supervised by a single operator, who in time will be replaced by another automaton :)
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:14 pm

Yes, It's obvious. I don't really understand why some people seem to be so resistant to driverless vehicles. Eventually it's going to become so sophisticated that it will reduce accidents and reduce energy use. Then Messy can have his gin and tonic and others can read, watch a film or play a guitar. What's not to like?
Historicalguitars.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:10 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:14 pm
Yes, It's obvious. I don't really understand why some people seem to be so resistant to driverless vehicles. Eventually it's going to become so sophisticated that it will reduce accidents and reduce energy use. Then Messy can have his gin and tonic and others can read, watch a film or play a guitar. What's not to like?
Well, one good reason not to like is that the ownership of these driverless car networks will be incorporated in very few hands. The Google project Waymo, for example, will become a massive corporation making vast profits out of you and me wanting to get from A to B. If that's what people want then that's what they're gonna get.

simonm

Post by simonm » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:11 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:10 pm
…. The Google project Waymo, for example, will become a massive corporation making vast profits out of you and me wanting to get from A to B. ...

That's why the google holding company is called "Alphabet". They want everything right through to Z.

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:13 am

MessyTendon wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:21 am
The point is that big brother will watch all of us.

Now the real point...I can enjoy a nice gin and tonic in traffic.
Sorry, but I'm not sure you can. You would risk (at least in the UK) being charged with 'drunk in charge of a vehicle'...

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:40 am

Evocacion wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:13 am
]

Sorry, but I'm not sure you can. You would risk (at least in the UK) being charged with 'drunk in charge of a vehicle'...
Indeed 'drunk in charge of a vehicle' does not specify whether the vehicle is parked or in motion. I suspect that is probably true in the vast majority of countries. The enforcement may of course vary.

Smith

Post by Smith » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:10 pm

Curious that Tesla did not want to divulge the weight of their new transport truck.

It looks nice but trucking companies wanted to know how much it weighs....

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:10 pm
Michael.N. wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:14 pm
Well, one good reason not to like is that the ownership of these driverless car networks will be incorporated in very few hands. The Google project Waymo, for example, will become a massive corporation making vast profits out of you and me wanting to get from A to B. If that's what people want then that's what they're gonna get.
Corporates have pretty much got most things sewn up, I don't really see what difference driverless cars will make to that.
As for being drunk in charge of a vehicle. The law may change, it may take time but it will change to take account of the new situation - assuming that a human driver is never required, even as a back up and the person cannot possibly have any bearing on the safety of the vehicle or others.
As I stated earlier, this is very early days. Give it 20 years and this discussion may not be necessary at all.
Historicalguitars.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:00 pm

"assuming that a human driver is never required, even as a back up and the person cannot possibly have any bearing on the safety of the vehicle or others. "

That's a big assumption. Ever have your computer freeze up or crash or just fail to respond? Of course; happens all the time. Imagine your trusty Apple out in a rain storm, and then negotiating a snowy/icy/sleety turned to mushy mountain pass. What could possibly go wrong with the electronics?
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:35 am

I read a few days ago that Google (?may have this wrong) put a few reporters in a self driving car in San Francisco. Things went well until it stopped at a taco truck and refused to move. The reporters did not ask for the stop.

And this made me think---how often (more often than we realize, I'd guess!) do you make a sudden decision to pull into a farmers market, a fresh berries stand, a hardware store when it comes into view and you realize you need a gasket---or you enter a strange town and are hungry but don't know where to eat. Etc. How do self driving cars manage these situations?

I have an electric seat that retracts for me to get out of the car. I'm just waiting for the moment when it breaks and I'm stuck in that seat position until I fix it--for $700.00. Can't I just have the lever to push and slide the seat with my legs? Never breaks. But people want Technology. Until their self driving software fails and they're stuck in Reno for three days shelling out big bucks to get it rebooted.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:45 am

Totally agree.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:11 am

Yes, that's as things stand now. You are thinking in terms of today. In 10 or 20 years time? If the accident/fatality rate from car transport use is lower after driverless technology has proved it's worth is that a good or a bad thing? If it proves to be more efficient in terms of energy use is that a good or a bad thing?
I don't think anyone is suggesting that driverless cars are going to be fully implemented on our roads this year or next year. Give it time, just as with any technology.
Historicalguitars.

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:17 am

Michael.N. wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:11 am
Yes, that's as things stand now. You are thinking in terms of today. In 10 or 20 years time? (…) Give it time, just as with any technology.
Agreed.

Some things happen quite quickly (ie. a decade or two :-)) but in way that people don't quite expect. Videophones where a sic-fi kind of idea back in the 60's. Even 10-15 years ago they seemed a bit exotic, yet today everyone using a smartphone takes video calls for granted. The key technology was not the phone but the network.

Some European countries are planning to allow sales of only electric cars in the not distance future - Germany has already said 2030 (big car lobby). Some countries are discussing 2025 but no decisions yet. Spain (Balearic islands) has said that the car hire fleets (big biz in the holiday islands) must be 100% electric by 2030. This implies more fast charging stations. Supermarkets in Europe often have a couple of charging stations. The car industry is investing vast sums in computer technology to provide the necessary infrastructure for "intelligent" cars. The groundwork is happening.

2030 is only 12 years away. Electric cars and self-driving seem to go hand in hand. Self-driving vehicles will "sneak up" on the world in the same way as ubiquitous video phones have done.

Return to “The Café”