driverless cars

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
dory

Re: driverless cars

Post by dory » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:37 pm

Anyone who has an aging parent will understand the need for driverless cars. However, with the technology as it is at the moment I pray that my father never finds one. He already emailed his car salesman (yes, he has been going to the same person forever) and asked what driverless features Ford has, given that he is blind in one eye and his right arm does not work. He says he can't wait to get back to driving. EEEEEW.
Dory

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:00 pm

A total swap out to driverless cars would mean social change in ways not being discussed. Driver's licenses will not be needed. Highway Patrol will not be needed, or at least, not so many. That means traffic court will be a historical vestige. And "licensing fees" (a favorite of Silicon Valley software developers) will be required rather than ownership. The cars will record illegal use and sale of drugs, discharge of firearms (drive by), and many other illegal things traditionally done inside cars. Parental controls could be applied.

That's not so bad. It's no different than expectations for workplace behavior.

For those who postulate we are running out of resources to lubricate and fuel our vehicles, take a brighter approach. All renewable energy can be used. Synthetic plastics? New Zealand has been using 10% sheep fat as crude oil for a long time - hurray for carnivorous activity! We will finally get lean cuts of meat because all the fat will be directed to synthetic lubricants and plastics. Wood, shell and rock will still be around to make whatever. And best of all in this hypothetical future, luthiers can give up their power tools!

All due to driverless cars :: the panacea and savior of the warming world! :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Iain

Post by Iain » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:08 pm

No more having to listen to taxi drivers and their endless drivel.
What's not to like?

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:26 pm

Apple acknowledged for the first time yesterday that it is working on a self-driving car. Apple did not specify, however, whether it plans to build cars itself or build a system that can be installed in cars produced by other manufacturers,

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:54 pm

To reduce both our dependence on fossil fuels and the horrifying road traffic casualties, here is a teriffic solution:

Youtube

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:00 pm

:D

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:46 pm

:grire:
Bikes are a great thing....except for when there is a foot of snow on the ground and it is -10F. My husband has a bike upon which he puts studded tires. He can ride on a sheet of ice. Just not my thing, though!
I enjoyed the clip of the mountain bike jumping the log.... Looked like a very accurate test of the software! ;-D
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

SixStringShooter716

Post by SixStringShooter716 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:47 pm

I think eventually it will be used to restrict your freedom and movements. You will only be allotted a certain number of miles to drive, a certain number of times a week etc. The powers that be want you to get used to technology and AI being in charge so that one day they can control everyone. I don't buy it!

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:25 pm

I think the start of this, and in not too many years, will be autonomous freight trucks for the highway segments. I think the economics of that are going to be too compelling to stop.

But I also foresee many difficulties in the years (or decades) where the road is a mixture of autonomous and driven.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

gringo

Post by gringo » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:08 pm

There are many advantages of driverless cars.
1. Far less congestion on the roads - it is estimated that the throughput of driverelss cars is about 4 times that of human driven cars.
2. We only use our cars about 4% of the time. If the ownership model changes then driverless cars will be in use most of the time. They would be off the road for maintenance and refueling. This would reduce the number of parking spaces required dramatically. We would save a lot of time without the need for hunting for parking spaces in urban areas.
3. Commuting time could be used far more efficiently.

Take a look at this 17 minute video on the subject https://youtu.be/xg03UUYKG1s

montana

Post by montana » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:19 am

Adam wrote:Don't forget about productivity. You can read, work, whatever while the car drives you to your destination.
Whoa....isn't that a transit bus?.....huh..earth friendly .

montana

Post by montana » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:23 am

gringo wrote:There are many advantages of driverless cars.
1. Far less congestion on the roads - it is estimated that the throughput of driverelss cars is about 4 times that of human driven cars.
2. We only use our cars about 4% of the time. If the ownership model changes then driverless cars will be in use most of the time. They would be off the road for maintenance and refueling. This would reduce the number of parking spaces required dramatically. We would save a lot of time without the need for hunting for parking spaces in urban areas.

nothing here makes sense.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:33 pm

montana wrote:
gringo wrote:There are many advantages of driverless cars.

nothing here makes sense.

I haven't looked at the video. But as you can see Gringo's comments are very much in the same direction as my long post on the first page of this thread.
simonm wrote: The "best stuff" from the point of view of Silicon Valley (Google et al) is the change of the ownership model. Self-driving cars will be the norm in the not distant future. The implication is that private ownership of cars will vanish or at least shrink to insignificance. (…)

What this means is that the conventional car industry is fighting for its existence. …. Google has spawned a lot of the technology, while Über has popularized the marketing model albeit with drivers for the moment.
(…)

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:52 pm

driverless cars are useful, but ... computers sometimes go mad... and hackers, criminals etc. could bring passenger of this car to all kind of unexpected locations, including absolute end.
Such reliance on automation and computing would be nice and safe in ideal society, yet in society where we really exists it will have not only convenience but lot of bad consequences...
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:00 pm

....HAL, open the pod bay doors.

"I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that."
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Return to “The Café”