Your 3 Everyday warm-up pieces?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
kirolak

Your 3 Everyday warm-up pieces?

Post by kirolak » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:38 am

Mine are : the Sor B minor, Carcassi A min Opus 60 No 3, & Bach's Bouree in E minor. . .(for some reason I don't enjoy any major keys!) If I don't play these 3 pieces through every day, my left hand seems to wilt & refuses to do any more difficult barre work.

What are your favourites & would it be bad to restrict oneself to the same pieces over & over as warm ups, or should one branch out (horrors!)?

Peter Lovett

Re: Your 3 Everyday warm-up pieces?

Post by Peter Lovett » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:37 am

I don't have warm up pieces but I do have a warm up routine - a set of exercises that works all fingers, throws in some legatos and slurs, runs a few arpeggios and finishes up with some scales. By the time I have finished that I am more than ready to get stuck into whatever I am trying to make a mess of now.
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:50 am

Peter Lovett wrote:By the time I have finished that I am more than ready to get stuck into whatever I am trying to make a mess of now.
:lol:
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:25 pm

I have not three but only one warm-up piece, but it has been with me for more than 25 years, in both good and bad times: Bach's BWV 999 Prelude.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:27 pm

I start with a couple of scales and technical exercises and then play several pieces to warm up: among them three Scarlatti sonatas (K1, K11 and K322) followed by Presto and Gigue of BWV 996. Afterwards I am ready for the real challenges of my repertoire :wink: But honestly, it does help me to start with relatively difficult pieces. After my hands are trained with Scarlatti and some hardcore Bach the 20 Sor studies seem to flow quite easily.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:59 pm

I don't know what it's called, similar to the spider exercise (it might be the spider exercise) but I don't depress the strings, just dampen them. Just to warm up the left hand.
Then Carcassi 60 No.s 13 and 23 done slowly, with RH combinations i, m. m,a. and sometimes i,a.
Historicalguitars.

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:48 pm

I'm not able to play any real pieces yet as a warm-up, but I normally start with some chords and scales. Perhaps I'll start with some actual preludes or simple etudes when I learn a bit.

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:51 pm

I don't warm up with pieces. Like Peter, I have a routine of exercises that I do. They take between 1-2 hours depending on the day.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:44 am

I just end up playing the piece that I am currently learning at the moment. I should be doing some exercises though!

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:56 am

kirolak wrote:Mine are : the Sor B minor, Carcassi A min Opus 60 No 3, & Bach's Bouree in E minor. . .(for some reason I don't enjoy any major keys!)
At risk of seeming nit-picky, Op. 60/3 is in A Major. Do you perhaps mean #7 "tremolo" which is A minor?
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:56 am

At present ...

Mysterious Barricades
Bach - Boureé - 1002
York - Woven World

(Sorry for the late edit - Yamour is work in progress)

Usually finish with the D minor prelude

But things change ...
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

Rick Hutt

Post by Rick Hutt » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:35 pm

Scales then Villa Lobos Etude #1 This piece stretches my left hand perfectly and warms up the right, so I never start without it
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundi flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

razz

Post by razz » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:30 pm

I don't play "warm up" pieces. I like to play a few scales, some arpeggios, and a chord progression (some version of "rhythm changes") to warm up.

casy

Post by casy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:41 pm

I classify myself as a forever beginner but I have all day to play around. I am self-taught. I start with one of Aaron Shearer's "Scale Pattern Studies For Guitar." This is a must do starting point for me everyday. When I'm done with the book I start over again. This must be my fifth trip through this book. Then I select a couple of 8th (or 12th) fret position scales from William Leavitt's "Advanced Studies in All Keys." This a quite a challenge but I enjoy learning the fretboard. Sometimes I revisit "the Segovia Scales" which I can play from memory although not that well. I gave up on Giuliani's "120 Right Hand Studies" and Vladimir Bobri's "130 Daily Studies." Maybe I'll revisit them at some point in the future. I sometimes practice a page or two from Ricardo Iznaola's "The Path To Virtuosity."Then I always practice "Recuerdos De La Alhambra." I try to mimic Ana Vidoic's version from u-tube. I know nobody likes this piece anymore but I need to work on my tremolo. Also I refer to Anastassakis' "Art of the Tremolo" for additional exercises.Then I butcher up "Estudio Brilante De Alard". I try to mimic Kim Jennifer's u-tube version when she was 13 years old. I put set the video to half speed. I may never get the hang of this piece but that doesn't keep me from trying. Than I attack Tarrega's Prelude in A Minor. I'm beginning to having a little success with this one. It's not that hard. Then I spend some time on Julio Sagreras' "Guitar Lessons" either books 1-3 or 4-6. The Book 6 is still beyond my understanding and no u-tube guide is available as far I can tell. Lastly I like to explore. I just pick up a score that's looks interesting but not too hard and see if I can play some of it. Than I find something else and try that. And that's about how I spend my whole day. It's not a waste of time to me because I enjoy it. Some people like to go fishing or play cards or go shopping or take trips or whatever. To me that would be a waste of time and I would be miserable. Learning is important to me becoming a polished player is not going to happen but that's o. k.

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:38 pm

After doing some warm up exercises, I enjoy burning through some little Renaissance pieces, usually:
Greensleeves
Branle Englese
Tourdion

Return to “The Café”