Your 3 Everyday warm-up pieces?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
kirolak

Re: Your 3 Everyday warm-up pieces?

Post by kirolak » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:39 pm

David_Norton wrote:
kirolak wrote:Mine are : the Sor B minor, Carcassi A min Opus 60 No 3, & Bach's Bouree in E minor. . .(for some reason I don't enjoy any major keys!)
At risk of seeming nit-picky, Op. 60/3 is in A Major. Do you perhaps mean #7 "tremolo" which is A minor?
Oh, cringe. . . . I'd like to blame it on a typo, but the error lies deep within the brain, I do confess..... :oops: :oops: Somebody please euthanize me if this gets any worse :)

slidika

Post by slidika » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:54 am

I warm up with a lot of shorter pieces in a variety of keys -- usually 30 minutes or so.
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:03 pm

Depend how cold my fingers are. On colder days I will play lots of scales first, then Villa-Lobos Etudes before moving onto rasgeado patterns to really loosen things up, then move onto pieces. That talks an hour or more depending what I do. On summer days I sometimes just start with simpler pieces until I am flexible and then go for it...

Robert Rogers

Post by Robert Rogers » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:43 pm

Nearly the same pieces you warm up with: Sor's B Minor study, Carcassi Op. 3 No. 60, and Mertz's Nocturne Op. 4 No.3

Bododio

Post by Bododio » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:09 pm

I start with Segovia scales: i-m, i-a, and m-a. I'll work up to including the other fingerings later. Then I work on a page of the 120 RH Giuliani studies. I'll go through the page 2 or 3 times until my left hand gets sore. After that is sight reading from The Complete Sight Reading Book for Guitar, by Richard Flores. I'll pick a position and go through all the exercises. Then I get into the more musical studies, right now the Brouwer Estudios Sencillos #6, #8, #2, and #3. All that takes 45-60 minutes depending on how dumb I am that day :wink: Following that is music practice.
2012 Cordoba C10 (CD), D'Addario EJ45
2015 Pavan TP-30 (SP), D'Addario EJ45

Henny

Post by Henny » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:38 pm

Although the question is interesting, the answers are open for discussion.
how well are we progressing?
is it just to warm up your hands or are we aiming for more? playing scales f.e any progress in accuracy, speed, quality in sound..
i am doing slurs, scales and arpeggios for an hour after I do my off the guitar hand excercises.
then i start playing musical passages to improve my technique and after that in order not to forget it, i play some pieces of my repertoire for 30 minutes.

Salvador

Post by Salvador » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:25 pm

I also don't have warm up pieces. For the right hand. I use plucking patterns of Romance de Amor but i play it really fast. Plucking pattern of Etude 1 Villa Lobos, tremolo open strings. For the scale, Etude 7 Villa lobos, and some scale pattern from various classical guitar pieces. For the left hand i use stretching exercises, like the chords in Sueno en La FLoresta. Up and down slur exercises .

For the progress, i find practicing scales the most effective. It's not only about speed. It also helps both left and right hand to coordinate well, to stay relax and play smoothly with less effort. It's hard to explain but it's effective for me.

otirroz

Post by otirroz » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:31 pm

I do six-string arpeggios to warm up the right hand flexor muscles, four-stroke/six-string rasgueados for the right hand extensors and Tennants' triplet slur exercises to warm up the left hand. Total time= about 10 minutes.

P de V

Malcolm Kavalsky

Post by Malcolm Kavalsky » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:04 am

Segovia Scales, 3"
Villa-Lobos 1+2, 4"
Recuerdos, 3"
Bach Cello Suite #1 (Prelude,Sarabande, Gigue), 10"

(I realise this is more than three, but if I had to choose this would be the order of priorities)
No pain, no pain.

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:41 pm

I start with some physical exercises to warm up my arms and hands, followed by a set of guitar exercises: a chromatic scale covering all the notes below the 12th fret, some slur exercises (by Christopher Davis), a tremolo exercise by Bobri, a Segovia diatonic scale, a Guilani RH exercise, and finally Sor's Exercise on 6ths No 1 for LH independence. Apart from the chromatic scale and the Sor piece, the others are different each day.

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:47 pm

I am still a novice compared to so many of you on the forum. After a 40 year absence from the guitar I began again about 6 months ago. I am now at the point where I have memorized three pieces: Greensleeves, a 16th century piece (very short) and a ragtime piece. So I play these every day after a few scales.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

wchymeus

Post by wchymeus » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:07 am

Generally, I play
- some slow improvisation
- estudio sin luz
- allegro from the Cathedral

I sometime alternatively chose to play some sections of the Chaconne (that I have never put together ... too lazy) or I rush into sections of pieces I am learning ... when I don't have much time.
Field 2014, Oberg 2013, Vincente Sachis Badia 1977

Aucaman

Post by Aucaman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:34 pm

I start with a slur exercise from PUMPING NYLON called "Triplets #6" [page 51]. The author, Scott Tennant, says:
"If you only have time for one left-hand exercise, do this one!"
Then I play Carcassi #7 Op 60.
The whole thing takes me about 10 minutes.

Return to “The Café”