What is your favourite museum?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
George Crocket

Re: What is your favourite museum?

Post by George Crocket » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:02 am

There has been some discussion of what a museum is. I find the distinction between "museum" and "art gallery" unclear, so I consider them as overlapping concepts.

That being so, my "favourite", in the sense of being the one I most frequently visit, is the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art in Edinburgh. There is a fine collection of modern art there, with regular exhibitions of modern and contemporary art, and a pleasant restaurant.

In the sense of having made an impact, the most impressive for me have been the Musée Picasso in Paris and the Guggenheim Museum in New York, both of which are worth a visit. But there are many many more.

That brings me back to my first paragraph. The last two of my nominations are called "museum" while the first is an "art gallery". To my mind they fulfill exactly the same purpose!
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

bert

Post by bert » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:21 am

The Natural History Museum in London comes to mind, as does the Museum Ludwig in Cologne.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:48 am

The Egyptian wing of the British Museum.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:13 am

simonm » 09 Dec 2016, 02:31 said:
...I prefer small places...
These few words prompt me to say that despite common opinion that museums are "dead" in sense that they gather artefacts which are "dead" and often boring, and real life goes on behind walls of museums, there were and still are some people who can understand this silent language by which old objects are still telling their stories. Some if not all of these stories are very, very interesting. In order to understand this language one should be
- motivated
and
- learn the facts from the history including some knowledge on history of similar objects, materials they are made of and tools and techniques that were used for making such objects. Here I would give as example the "living museum" of old handicraft in old knives factory in Raadvaad, Denmark, north of Copenhagen (I do not know how it is today, I was in contact with this place some 30 years ago). Living old masters of certain crafts were having there their workshops and were presenting their craft - or rather art, and historical and scientific in terms of history of handicraft projects were conducted there.

Such knowledge combined with sensitivity and imagination may make one feel like he ir she would be watching beautiful movie in colour in his mind. And if the museum, collection, whatever is small, and sometime focused on one subject, it is easier to use your imagination and the exposition "tells" it's story in more understandable way. Some of such small museums arisen in a "natural" way: I do not have in mind "wealthy" collections of sculptures and paintings, but the whole object - be it building or something else filled up with every mobilities that were in use in this place. Here comes to my mind the museum Plantin-Moretus in Antwerpen, Belgium, that shows the old printing/publishing studio in original beautiful interiors.
http://www.museumplantinmoretus.be/en/c ... out-museum

A very good example of a museum that arisen in "natural" way is the museum of warship "Vasa" in Stockholm, Sweden.
http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/vasa-history
The warship of new class sunk down in it's maiden trip just within the area of harbour on 10 August 1628. It was sunk for 333 years, in 24 April 1961 was excavated and now it is presented in specially constructed building. There are several thousands (sic!) of different objects that were onboard and all this create one of most interesting museums.

Let me mention the reconstruction from original elements the jewellery shop of famous jeweller Georges Fouquet. It is presented in Paris, France, Musee Carnavalet
http://untappedcities.com/2013/02/14/al ... p-replica/
This shop was designed in 1901 by famous artist of that time, Alphonse Mucha. It gives impression and atmosphere of the Art Nouveau - Belle Epoque time.

The list should be much, much longer. So let me just mention that some time ago I read somewhere (was it one of the UNESCO elaborations ?) that on the European continent every several kilometres there are places which are connected with history, some of them known more, some not so much. I will always remember ruins in

- Gurre, Zeeland, Denmark (a perfect ocassion to exercise one's imagination)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurre_Castle
- the municipal museum of Perth, Scotland,
- Den Gamla By in Aarhus, Denmark, with it's old goldsmith's workshop - all original old tools and benches !
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Old_Town,_Aarhus

and many other most interested places.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:31 pm

Problem is, there are many museums I've only partially visited, such as the Louvre and the Rijksmuseum, for their fine art. I'd love to see the Rijksmuseum's furniture section. The Musée Picasso in Paris is fabulous, but I'd vote for the Louvre on the grounds that its archaeological collections are probably unsurpassable. If I had ever seen the Pompeii and Herculaneum collections at Naples, I'd probably love them for the very rare Roman domestic objects.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Rick Hutt

Post by Rick Hutt » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:04 pm

Obviously biased, but the Art Institute of Chicago is my favorite. I am a member and regularly attend showings and other events there. Others, in no particular order, The Royal Albert in London, the Accademica in Fierenze, and the De Young in San Francisco. ALso here in Chicago the National Museum of Mexican Fine Arts in Pilsen. I;m a member there too.
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundi flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

manythumbed

Post by manythumbed » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:49 pm

I really enjoyed visiting Museum der Dinge in Berlin. It is packed full of things but is small enough that you don't get tired out by your visit.

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:28 pm

For a Fabulous museum with a much more intimate atmosphere, the Gardiner museum in Boston is wonderful.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:31 pm

National Gallery of Art. I'm lucky to live so close the the National Mall.
Last edited by Adam on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:57 pm

Nobody mentioned the Deutsches Museum in Munich ??? From the clock in the courtyard, to the ships accessible via different floors, to the tunneling exhibits, to the aerospace exhibits ... it is a marvelous experience!!!

I certainly do not want to insult anybody, but all the works proclaimed by academicians to be "art", just don't appeal to me. It's "art" because a college professor says it is? Sounds like Emperor's New Clothes to me! The standing joke is the inherent emotional component of the brush strokes. You don't see it? Hmmm ... Or the blank white page titled "Polar Bear Eating Vanilla Ice Cream in a Snow Storm." It's that farcical to me. I know; I'm a troglodyte.

Thank goodness for museums like the Deutsches Museum! For that matter, the Maritime Museum in San Francisco, although rather small, is awesome in the way it communicates the oceanic achievements of humans. No interpretation of brush strokes needed! The mariners depicted within explored the world when the maps said "Dragons live here". They developed tools and strategies to navigate by the stars. And many wonderful human things, real and tangible. And, of course, these are the best places for visiting aliens to study humankind. :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

cedartop

Post by cedartop » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Hard to choose a favorite, but I really enjoyed the Isabella Stewart Gardiner museum in Boston:
http://www.gardnermuseum.org/home/
2011 Traphagen Cedar Doubletop

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:34 pm

My vote goes to the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao.

bear

Post by bear » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:10 pm

Galleria dell'Accademia di Firenze and the Guggenheim
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:32 pm

Palazzo degli Uffizi in Florence, Italy. I had just parked my car along the river Arno and put money in the parking meter for 3 hours to find out that the sign at the queue said: 3 hours waiting time. A friendly Italian pointed me to a door: "Go in there and book a ticket for tomorrow and you will avoid the queue." I took his advice, went in, booked a ticket for the next day and felt sorry for all those waiting in the queue.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

doug

Post by doug » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:13 am

The North Carolina Museum of Art. They're having an exhibit of art deco automobiles from the 1930's and 1940's through Jan. 15th.
2015 German Vazquez Rubio "Estudio 640" SP/PE
2012 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, SP
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C

Return to “The Café”