What is your favourite museum?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Andrew Fryer

Re: What is your favourite museum?

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:25 am

petermc61 wrote:The Egyptian wing of the British Museum.
If you like Egyptology, then the Petrie museum is excellent. It is within the campus of UCL, but it is open to the public.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

kaizengtr

Post by kaizengtr » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:04 pm

Definitely hard to pick a favorite. But I'll add my 2 cents (or 2 museums) worth.
The Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix
https://mim.org/
Great permanent exhibits of anything from African tribal drums to Johnny Cash's black acoustic guitar. Tons of great stuff to see and to listen to. Highly recommended.

Also, my wife (a wildlife biologist) was recently reading a book on whales and the whaling industry so we went to the Whaling Museum in New Bedford, Massachusetts.
https://www.whalingmuseum.org/
Being from Colorado I'm not much for boats OR the ocean but this museum was wonderful. The scrimshaw room alone is worth an afternoon.

Fun thread, thanks for the idea.
-- Life is like riding a bicycle; to keep your balance you must keep moving. -Albert Einstein
2013 Randy Reynolds Conservatory

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:57 am

Musee D'Orsay in Paris. Phenomenal impressionist collection. The Art Institute in Chicago is a good second choice if you are in the US.

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:02 pm

I really love the Albright Knox in Buffalo - I always go there when visiting my wife's family. The Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam is a favourite of mine, too.

Cef
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:15 pm

Rob wrote:Musee D'Orsay in Paris. Phenomenal impressionist collection. The Art Institute in Chicago is a good second choice if you are in the US.
Curious one that - I've been to Paris about 4 times, and each time but one the d'Orsay was closed for some annoying reason, so I've only been in it once. Pity.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:20 pm

A couple of Oxford Museums:

The Ashmolean - as it's publicity says:
Discover half a million years of art and archaeology, from Egyptian mummies to modern art...
It includes a small collection of musical instruments that makes up in quality what it lacks in size - housing both a violin and a guitar made by Anronio Stradivari.

The Museum of the History of Science (which was the original Ashmolean)
...an unrivalled collection of early scientific instruments in the world’s oldest surviving purpose-built museum building, the Old Ashmolean on Broad Street, Oxford
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:48 pm

I will visit the Egyptian Museum with its more than 150.000 artifacts this weekend or beginning of next week. Is there anything I should focus on?
Greetings from Cairo.
21 classical guitars, soon 22 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:58 am

andreas777 wrote:I will visit the Egyptian Museum with its more than 150.000 artifacts this weekend or beginning of next week. Is there anything I should focus on?...
Aren't you lucky! The items from King Tut's tomb are not to be missed. I also enjoyed the paintings on papyrus, which were vibrant and provided wonderfully detailed depictions of Ancient Egyptian life, stories, etc.. Mummies -- that's something you may definitely want to see, too, and the elaborately painted sarcophagi. There is also a section of mummified animals, which I thought was rather cool, but others may not! I guess it really depends on what sort of things you are most interested in as to where you should spend your time -- one can easily get distracted by little bits and pieces, as there are so many. All the big statues are amazing, and hard to miss. Have a great time!

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:40 am

Lovemyguitar wrote:Have a great time!
Thanks for all the recommendations. I hope I don't get lost in this huge 20 mio city (or in the pyramides), there is so much to discover :D
21 classical guitars, soon 22 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Intune

Post by Intune » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:29 am

The Museo Galileo (formerly the Institute and Museum of the History of Science) in Florence. Where else can you see Galileo's actual telescope, manuscripts, and severed middle finger in a jar? ...along with countless other fascinating artifacts from the early scientific revolution.
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:56 am

There are a number of wonderful museums making it very difficult to choose a favorite. The most recent two were The National Gallery and the new African American Museum in Washington. The Architectural Design of the building and setting of the African American Museum is stunning and the food choices are wonderful. The venue itself is memorable and emotional. I won't forget that experience. If you visit DC and want to visit the AAM you need to book tickets well in advance as it's the hottest museum ticket in town.
Hauser III 2014!

cedartop

Post by cedartop » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:13 am

If you have not seen the Elizabeth Stewart Gardner museum in Boston, I highly recommend it.
2011 Traphagen Cedar Doubletop
2017 Traphagen Spruce Doubletop

Briant

Post by Briant » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:40 pm

If anyone is planning a visit to the London guitar studio it is worth taking a short walk to visit the Wallace collection. A fine art gallery with many pictures featuring baroque guitars and lutes. Also many canneletto's.
If you have an interest in medieval armour they have a fine collection.

tcee

Post by tcee » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:52 am

My favorites are the Tate Modern in London and the Schiller National Museum in Marbach, Germany. Both have a very impressive architecture and great exhibitions.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:39 am

The National Gallery in London, no doubt, at least for parts, and British Museum in London, for parts as well. I also loved to visit the Norton Simon in Pasadena.

Or, how about renting a museum :wink:

Youtube
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Return to “The Café”