What is your favourite museum?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
gypsyjack

Re: What is your favourite museum?

Post by gypsyjack » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:14 pm

American Museum of Natural History in NYC. But there's so many more to visit...

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:18 pm

Maritime museums can be unexpected and make a refreshing change from the run of the mill. I recommend the one at Barcelona.
A museum I'd like to see but never have is the coach museum at Lisbon.
A big beef I have is military museums - why are they allowed to become kids' playgrounds? They're supposed to be adults' playgrounds!
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Robert Rogers

Post by Robert Rogers » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:45 am

The Prado in Madrid and the Royal BC Museum in Victoria.

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:24 pm

cedartop wrote:If you have not seen the Elizabeth Stewart Gardner museum in Boston, I highly recommend it.
You mean the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. (Entrance to the museum is free of charge if your first name is Isabella, I believe).
Yes, it is wonderful, but certainly dated. That is by design. Her will states the layout of the museum should not change. Even when the artwork was stolen, they left the empty frames on the wall, to honor the will.

Nearby, the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston is worth a visit. Their musical instrument collection is quite nice.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York has a very neat annex called 'The Cloisters' in the far North of the city.

And, an exceedingly wonderful museum is the Worcester Art Museum.
2016 Cordoba Esteso Cedar
Cordoba C5

cedartop

Post by cedartop » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:04 pm

michaeledward64 wrote:
You mean the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.
Quite right! Thanks
2011 Traphagen Cedar Doubletop

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:19 pm

Anchorage Museum, Anchorage AK USA. It's amazing. Have seen and loved many museums, but this one was a surprise and delight, on our visit to AK. Wish we'd had more time. Another tiny but fascinating one in Anchorage is quite new: the Alaska Jewish Museum.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Henny

Post by Henny » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:59 am

when visiting Amsterdam and when interested in Rembrandt or the history of Amsterdam I recommend to pay a visit to the house of Jan Six , address Amstel 218 in Amsterdam. an original (as it was in the 17th century) house along the canal where the portrait of Jan Six regarded as on of the best portraits painted by Rembrandt hangs in the living room since the 17th century. (open to visitors.)

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:13 pm

Today I spent some hours in the "Deutsche Museum" in Munich. There are large rooms on 6 floors filled with so many scientific artifacts that you don't have the chance to see all exhibits or read all information. It's very impressive what machines have been invented during the last centuries, and you can find them all here, from the tiniest pocket machine to a complete submarine. In my view the museum is very recommended for children of all ages because many things can be discovered interactively. There are also some musical instruments. It was the first time that I have seen the mechanics of a self-playing piano (in action), using bellows and air, and this piano also contained three violins played by the same machine. There was also a guitar with keys that looked like a typical e-guitar, and you play this guitar not by pulling the strings but by pressing the keys.
19 classical guitars, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

amy3000

Post by amy3000 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:27 am

In Minnesota the Minneapolis Institute of Art (they now call it Mia) is a wonderful art museum with a varied collection. All but special exhibits are free. I'm a member of the museum and visit it frequently for short visits. Another interesting museum is the Weisman on the campus of the University of Minnesota. it was designed by Frank Gehry and it seems one either loves or hates the actual building. I love it. I happened to be on campus at the ground breaking for the building and part of the ceremony was a dance between women dancers and burly men in bobcats (little tractors). It was great fun especially because I had not planned to attend. It's a small museum and there is no. entrance fee. I haven't been to this one in a while but there is another small gem in Minneapolis, the Museum of Russian Art. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'll plan a visit soon.

Return to “The Café”