Practicing guitar in your apartment space

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Andrew Pohlman

Re: Practicing guitar in your apartment space

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:18 pm

khayes wrote:
2handband wrote:
khayes wrote:I heard that! Our first apartment was underneath a unit where the occupant spent all day playing the opening riffs to "Proud Mary" on his jangy electric. At least he did not do it at night. Our bedroom window was right off the pool and one night we were awakened to a skinny-dipping party right outside our window. Do not miss those days at all.
Not even the skinny dipping parties? :twisted:
Believe me - it was nothing you'd want to see :D
Yes. Yes it is. I could black mail them with the threat to post it on YouTube. :D Things like this is how I paid off my BMW. :twisted:
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:25 pm

I find it's always best to approach new neighbors (before they approach me), introduce myself as 'the guitar player', and let them know if it "ever gets too loud just let me know". Extending this courtesy goes a long way to make them tolerate my music. If they think you're just 'being inconsiderate they'll stew about it until they blow their top but knowing I'm aware of the noise issue and that they are 'welcome' to say something to me if needed they tend to notice less. Same 'mind trick' works when you're having a party. Invite all the neighbors to it. They won't come (generally) but most people won't call the cops on a party they were invited too.

Another little trick I use is to listen for music they play at home and then learn some songs they like. Banging out Journey's Wheels In The Sky the day after a neighbor was listening to it does two things... First it involves them in your music and when they hear 'the guitarist upstairs (next door, etc.) playing something they love it softens their attitude toward your music. But the other and more important thing it does is say, "Hey, I can hear (and have to put up with) your music too!".

If you do it just right, you'll have neighbors asking you to play louder so they can hear better.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

alfaalex101

Post by alfaalex101 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:07 am

I worked in an apartment that was constructed in the 60s. You can hear your neighbor COUGH. In my current unit - I can hear the waterdrops hitting his tiles in his shower. That has been my experience however from what I've heard, apartments are well insulated for sound but suck when it comes to vibrations. I was tapping on my floor looking for loose tiles and the lady from downstairs came and complained how LOUD it was (now she was an older lady so her hearing couldn't have been that good) but my tapping was almost inaudible unless you put your ear next to my knuckle.

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Mon May 29, 2017 9:58 am

I live in a 1960s apartment too, and it's pretty easy to hear what neighbors are doing. My guitar playing can probably be heard everywhere in the building. Luckily we also have a singer and a pianist living in neighboring apartments too, so it's not just my playing...

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Mon May 29, 2017 10:53 am

Charles I hope the new place is soundproof considering how strong your new instrument is.
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)2009 Eric Monrad(maple/Brazilian/spruce)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2001 Dominique Field(for sale)
Cedar, 2014 Joshua DeJonge( for sale)

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Mon May 29, 2017 11:09 am

I have been playing in mine and my parents apartment for 3 years now, not even a complaint. I would say that their soundproof is average.

I believe the key is that I almost always choose normal hours, and when the time is over 11pm+ , I try to be gentle with my volume .. :)

Hope this helps
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Tue May 30, 2017 2:39 pm

Well, thing is, I am an early morning practicer...I did find a unit where the "practice room" is all internal walls, no neighbor walls on either side. I move on Thursday so I should know over the weekend if its going to be an issue. I could use my Yamaha Silent Guitar for the earliest practicing I guess...hope I don't need to. Thanks.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Tue May 30, 2017 5:18 pm

Best of luck in your new place Charles.
I hope the neighbours appreciate the treat they have in store.
In a month or two you'll probably be holding 'building concerts'.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Matt Molloy

Post by Matt Molloy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:59 pm

souldier wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:26 pm
He even posted a note on my door once saying that I was dragging a chair on the floor at 4am
It's when they push a note under the door after your practice session saying, "Technically proficient but could do with a shade more emotion and be careful with the rubato." that it becomes a problem. :cafe:

Edinburgh's a cultured city but this brings its own problems.

Cheers,

Matt.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morcambe

Proud member of the LGCI.

Guitar: James Lister 2009 SP/MP.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:05 am

Matt Molloy wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:59 pm
souldier wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:26 pm
He even posted a note on my door once saying that I was dragging a chair on the floor at 4am
It's when they push a note under the door after your practice session saying, "Technically proficient but could do with a shade more emotion and be careful with the rubato." that it becomes a problem. :cafe:

Edinburgh's a cultured city but this brings its own problems.

Cheers,

Matt.
:bravo:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:05 am

Tubbers wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:55 pm
2handband wrote:Apartment living is the worst thing ever, on a lot more levels than just your guitar playing. Think twice.
I swore I'd never live in another apartment.
Funny, for those of us in large cities, we have no choice but to live in an apartment. There are good apartments and there are bad apartments. We must have looked at thirty apartments before choosing our current place.

In eight years I've lived here, nobody had ever said a word about my guitar playing. It helps that we're on the top floor. It also helps that the building is prewar (WWII) and has thick plaster walls, not drywall, and that my practice room does not share walls with any other apartment.

I'm always courteous in terms of when I play, never before
9:30am, and never after 10pm. I only play classical guitar, never electric, and I just don't think people hear my playing or pay it any mind.

Recently, I bought a rowing machine to stay in shape and put down thick rubber gym tiles, the ones you buy as puzzle pieces. I thought the downstairs neighbors would be upset but, so far, not a word. I work from home so it likely that my 11am workouts go unheard.

Years ago, I lived in another building, also prewar, but at the time, I was studying the violin. I had a small practice room up against the stairwell, and I hung heavy sound blocking curtains over the door but people on the floor could still hear my playing. A violin penetrates in a way that a classical guitar does not. A woman on the elevator one morning told me she liked my playing. Oh, an audience!

At some point, you just have to accept that you have to tolerate some noise and that you have the right to make some noise. There was a New Yorker magazine cover that showed the police arresting a saxophone player who was playing in his building while there were horrible crimes and scenes of domestic abuse going on in other apartments. We should keep things in perspective.

With all the trouble in the world, I say, play on.
Last edited by larryguitar on Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:10 am

Some apartments have concrete floors. In ours the floors are wooden. Between me the one below is granulated sound-proofing, which works phenomenally well - once I put my hifi on full blast when the flat below was unoccupied, and you couldn't tell anyone was playing music, although there will always be small conduits for sound to travel in localised areas (e.g. the chimney breast). The flat above just has some fibreglass material between us and they can tell if I'm playing the guitar, but it doesn't disturb them. It's a double-fronted end-of-terrace house, so there are no next-door neighbours to annoy.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Sobers

Post by Sobers » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:51 pm

I wonder why playing CG in an apartment would be an issue because we already have an opposite issue of CGs being a low volume instrument. If someone reports having a problem with their neighbours (due to guitar playing) then it's a matter of joy, we must study the mechanics of his instrument and that might solve the traditional volume issue.

montana

Post by montana » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:07 pm

Threw some big parties in our cement condo. Never a complaint from the neighbors .

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:04 pm

Well I am finally moved in. I've been practicing early, as in around 7 am, as is my typical thing to do. I have used my small mute on the guitar for the first few days. When I play after about 9 am I take it off. No one has said anything. I talked to the guy next door couple days ago and he says he cannot hear me. The guitar I play is a Toni Mueller, and its loud as heck, but this is a great building. The room has an exterior wall with window and the other walls are just interior, its one of the reasons I picked this unit.

The only thing that bugs me here is the HVAC is close to the room in which I practice, it can get fairly loud. I didn't have that issue in the house I moved from. If any one has any thoughts on how to dampen that sound, I'd be very interested in knowing, thanks.

Return to “The Café”