Practicing guitar in your apartment space

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
User avatar
robin loops
Posts: 2948
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:57 am
Location: California

Re: Practicing guitar in your apartment space

Post by robin loops » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:21 pm

Charles Mokotoff wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:04 pm

The only thing that bugs me here is the HVAC is close to the room in which I practice, it can get fairly loud. I didn't have that issue in the house I moved from. If any one has any thoughts on how to dampen that sound, I'd be very interested in knowing, thanks.
I use a silent tower fan in my practice room. When not recording, I just ignore the air conditioner. When I want to record a track I set the thermostat a couple of degrees cooler (or hotter in the winter) then turn it off while recording. If it starts getting too warm I turn it back on and wait for it to cool down again before recording more. I use that time to run through the next piece I'm gonna record or review pieces I just recorded. Other options when it's too hot or too cold to do this are to use close micing techniques to cut out as much of the ambient noise as possible or to cover the vent in the practice room with an insulated padding (provided the noise is coming through the vent) and leave the door open so air from the other rooms creeps in. Blankets hanging over mic boom stands (put boom stand horizontal in a T position) can also cut out a lot of excessive sounds for recording and these and other types of screens can be used to 'block' some of the sound coming from the direction of the HVAC (even just for practicing). For this, sit on opposite side of room as the noise and make a mini isolation booth with the screens. And finally, if you have a practice room dedicated to music you can build an isolation booth which is basically a small room (box) within the room. This will need ventilation but you can use a silent fan system for that. There are many DIY projects for how to go about doing this, just search building an isolation booth/room for a home recording studio.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

User avatar
Charles Mokotoff
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:43 pm

Re: Practicing guitar in your apartment space

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:16 pm

Thanks for the tips, for me its just a general white noise that bugs me while practicing. I haven't tried recording here yet, but when I do, this will come in handy.

User avatar
robin loops
Posts: 2948
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:57 am
Location: California

Re: Practicing guitar in your apartment space

Post by robin loops » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:52 pm

Charles Mokotoff wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:16 pm
Thanks for the tips, for me its just a general white noise that bugs me while practicing. I haven't tried recording here yet, but when I do, this will come in handy.
Sometimes to combat ambient noise while practicing (room mate making noise, traffic, etc.) I use my monitoring headphones (and relatively close micing technique) to cut the noises not coming from the guitar. This also helps me focus a bit more on days when I'm distracted. However, decent preamps and mics (not great but decent) as well as great studio headphones are essential for this to work well. I also find it helps me 'get out in front of the guitar' to some degree. But, this really doesn't work well if room mate is making a lot of noise as the noises will be too dominate in the mix and more distracting than not...
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

User avatar
spanishguitarmusic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:58 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Practicing guitar in your apartment space

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:24 am

I heard some players use crumpled up socks placed under their strings close to the bridge to mute the strings and sound somewhat. Although, it's not as nice as actually hearing the strings ring out.

User avatar
Charles Mokotoff
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:43 pm

Re: Practicing guitar in your apartment space

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:40 pm

spanishguitarmusic wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:24 am
I heard some players use crumpled up socks placed under their strings close to the bridge to mute the strings and sound somewhat. Although, it's not as nice as actually hearing the strings ring out.
I use a guitar mute I bought in the Far East many years ago when I practice crazy early. If you search on the big shopping site named after a river for "Bridge-Side String Muter / Dampener", you will see something like the one I have. Its far more elegant than socks.

khayes
Posts: 1189
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:29 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: Practicing guitar in your apartment space

Post by khayes » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Charles Mokotoff wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:40 pm
spanishguitarmusic wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:24 am
I heard some players use crumpled up socks placed under their strings close to the bridge to mute the strings and sound somewhat. Although, it's not as nice as actually hearing the strings ring out.
I use a guitar mute I bought in the Far East many years ago when I practice crazy early. If you search on the big shopping site named after a river for "Bridge-Side String Muter / Dampener", you will see something like the one I have. Its far more elegant than socks.
You've never seen my socks :D
Ken

User avatar
spanishguitarmusic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:58 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Practicing guitar in your apartment space

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:43 am

Charles Mokotoff wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:40 pm
spanishguitarmusic wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:24 am
I heard some players use crumpled up socks placed under their strings close to the bridge to mute the strings and sound somewhat. Although, it's not as nice as actually hearing the strings ring out.
I use a guitar mute I bought in the Far East many years ago when I practice crazy early. If you search on the big shopping site named after a river for "Bridge-Side String Muter / Dampener", you will see something like the one I have. Its far more elegant than socks.
:merci: for the information, I will have to look the dampener up! :bye:

User avatar
spanishguitarmusic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:58 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Practicing guitar in your apartment space

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:43 am

khayes wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:51 pm
Charles Mokotoff wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:40 pm
spanishguitarmusic wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:24 am
I heard some players use crumpled up socks placed under their strings close to the bridge to mute the strings and sound somewhat. Although, it's not as nice as actually hearing the strings ring out.
I use a guitar mute I bought in the Far East many years ago when I practice crazy early. If you search on the big shopping site named after a river for "Bridge-Side String Muter / Dampener", you will see something like the one I have. Its far more elegant than socks.
You've never seen my socks :D
:lol:

meouzer
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 8:35 pm
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado

Re: Practicing guitar in your apartment space

Post by meouzer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:16 pm

To play quietly I got two tremolo mutes from Strings by mail. One has one more strip of foam on it than the other if I want it even quieter. Works well and you don't have to change how hard you play. If you have an electric classical, a Dr. Beat 90 metronome allows you to plug in your guitar to the metronome and listen to the beat and the guitar with headphones.
Yessh! 20 posts. Delcamp Scores! Come to papa!!

Jeffrey Armbruster
Posts: 1308
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:16 am
Location: Berkeley, California

Re: Practicing guitar in your apartment space

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:41 pm

meouzer wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:16 pm
To play quietly I got two tremolo mutes from Strings by mail. One has one more strip of foam on it than the other if I want it even quieter. Works well and you don't have to change how hard you play. If you have an electric classical, a Dr. Beat 90 metronome allows you to plug in your guitar to the metronome and listen to the beat and the guitar with headphones.
So...how much quieter does this dampener make your guitar? they only seem to have one version at sbm, which I have in my basket. Does it still allow notes to sound, just more quietly? Thanks.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

meouzer
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 8:35 pm
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado

Re: Practicing guitar in your apartment space

Post by meouzer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:06 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:41 pm
meouzer wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:16 pm
To play quietly I got two tremolo mutes from Strings by mail. One has one more strip of foam on it than the other if I want it even quieter. Works well and you don't have to change how hard you play. If you have an electric classical, a Dr. Beat 90 metronome allows you to plug in your guitar to the metronome and listen to the beat and the guitar with headphones.
So...how much quieter does this dampener make your guitar? they only seem to have one version at sbm, which I have in my basket. Does it still allow notes to sound, just more quietly? Thanks.
There's no way someone in another apartment would be able to hear. If using to dampen volume, the price one pays is lack of sustain. Again the plus side is, you can play as hard as you want. If one has a junk guitar, a better solution may be to fill it with stryofoam peanuts: I did that once.
Yessh! 20 posts. Delcamp Scores! Come to papa!!

Jeffrey Armbruster
Posts: 1308
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:16 am
Location: Berkeley, California

Re: Practicing guitar in your apartment space

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:07 am

Yeah I was in a situation last week where there were rooms all down the hall opposite. I played as quietly as I could, no rest strokes, etc. and still worried that I was bothering people (it was a silent retreat)--which is challenging in its own way. People could hear me a bit but everyone said it was pleasant and o.k.---I'll take it. But a dampener would have eased my worries and helped me relax and just play, as long as I could hear notes.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Return to “The Café”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Evocacion, Martin, norban, simonm and 6 guests