Yamaha silent guitar SLG-130NW, replace the electronic?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
hellfog

Yamaha silent guitar SLG-130NW, replace the electronic?

Post by hellfog » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:15 am

Hello

I have the 130NW and love the design of the guitar, but not happy with sound at all. Having trouble with under saddle pickup getting higher volume on some strings and lower on others. Have changed the saddle different material cut the saddle in half and individual ones to. But are not getting full volume on all the strings.

I'm thinking of replacing the electronic and the pickup, don't know if you can change the pickup only. If I change all the electronics, I can make new box in wood instead.

I think it is such a cool guitar otherwise, and don't want to get rid of it.
This can be a fun project.

Anyone having recommendations for better under saddle pickup to install?

printer2

Re: Yamaha silent guitar SLG-130NW, replace the electronic?

Post by printer2 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:41 pm

Found this post.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=93050

I was wondering if you could cut a saddle and put a paper shim under it where the strings are too loud.
Fred

hellfog

Post by hellfog » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:43 pm

Thanks for the link.

Great idea about paper shim, if the strings aren't loud enough, vill be much background noise.

hellfog

Post by hellfog » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:36 pm

Replacing all the electronic with Matrix Infinity Classical (OEM) or LR BAGGS ELEMENT ACTIVE?

any thought?

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:08 am

Did it do this before you put the new saddle on? Did you lower the original saddle? If when lowering the saddle you wind up not getting it perfectly square and flat, you could wind up with less vibration in the area in question.
There is probably a paper thin film with a wire on it underneath the saddle. You can unplug this wire and remove the film and wire, this is your "pickup", and you can replace just that piece.
Have you checked your battery and headphones?
Or, ditch it and get a SoloEtte. Seriously, I've known the guy who builds them. You would never have a problem like that with Roscoe Wright's guitar. You can find them used every now and then, quite reasonably.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:50 am

I have a Godin Multiac Nylon String. Now, this is not a silent guitar, but quite silent. And, it has a very, very good pick up system. Maybe you can get it for your Yamaha, too.
I also remember that there is/was a US maker of electric violins and cellos (also some 6 string versions) called Zeta. They used a split pickup system with separate piezzo elements for each string and an electronic that allowed for individual adjustment of volume for each string... So, such systems do exist.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

hellfog

Post by hellfog » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:20 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:Did it do this before you put the new saddle on? Did you lower the original saddle? If when lowering the saddle you wind up not getting it perfectly square and flat, you could wind up with less vibration in the area in question.
There is probably a paper thin film with a wire on it underneath the saddle. You can unplug this wire and remove the film and wire, this is your "pickup", and you can replace just that piece.
Have you checked your battery and headphones?
Or, ditch it and get a SoloEtte. Seriously, I've known the guy who builds them. You would never have a problem like that with Roscoe Wright's guitar. You can find them used every now and then, quite reasonably.

No, have not lowered the saddle plus have tried different ones, tusq and bone, with similar results.

Yes I have seen plastic film under the saddle, getting worn out for the bass side, I thave the thought about just replacing the pickup so is a god idea, I should lock into that.

Battery and headphones is not the problem, I often use the line out to computer, same trouble there.

I don't want another silent guitar, or sell this one, I'm not giving up. I relly like this guitar otherwise.

hellfog

Post by hellfog » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:22 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:I have a Godin Multiac Nylon String. Now, this is not a silent guitar, but quite silent. And, it has a very, very good pick up system. Maybe you can get it for your Yamaha, too.
I also remember that there is/was a US maker of electric violins and cellos (also some 6 string versions) called Zeta. They used a split pickup system with separate piezzo elements for each string and an electronic that allowed for individual adjustment of volume for each string... So, such systems do exist.

Interesting thanks. Are going to check out does things you mentioned.

hellfog

Post by hellfog » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:59 pm

I put a piece of paper under the whole saddle that solved the problem. Thanks all för all ideas and solutions.

Return to “The Café”