Trying to buy a new Paracho Guitar from Mexico .

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
amezcua

Re: Trying to buy a new Paracho Guitar from Mexico .

Postby amezcua » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:45 am

A good question for a Christmas cracker. Q .What is the largest (population ) city in North America? A. Mexico City. ( 2 million more than New York )

amezcua

Postby amezcua » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:38 pm

The Mexican makers mentioned in the blog seem to have a poetic streak as some believe that cutting the wood in the forest at night with a full moon will make it sound better . I think the world needs more of that sort of attitude .We are all getting a bit too straight line and dull these days . All we have now is selling points. Lets have a bit more poetry . If you imagine like that your playing will surely improve . Good for your soul if you have one .

amezcua

Postby amezcua » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:13 pm

Another article about Paracho mentions opening up to free trade .But they are ill prepared to export from Mexico even though other countries are pouring their goods into Mexico . To illustrate the problem better there are Mexicans abroad who want to trace their family history and relations.They can often spend hours online searching and draw a blank . So one site is designed to help them ,if you pay $29 .It seems as if Mexico has to catch up with the Internet . The srticle I mentioned first gave an e mail if you wanted to find out more about Paracho .that is deparacho@hotmail.com Maybe we should reverse the process and find them instead of them finding us.
Last edited by amezcua on Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amezcua

Postby amezcua » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Salvador Castillo popped up on youtube today and there you can hear the sort of guitar I was interested in .More like this will be found by looking up Purapecha Guitars. It`s the Palo Escrito that gives it the character and bite .People say Palo is cheap but the price I saw yesterday for a set was $100 . Is that cheap/ ?I don`t know. How about Mahogany ?. I must do a search .

Lovemyguitar

Postby Lovemyguitar » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:21 pm

amezcua wrote:The Mexican makers mentioned in the blog seem to have a poetic streak as some believe that cutting the wood in the forest at night with a full moon will make it sound better . I think the world needs more of that sort of attitude .We are all getting a bit too straight line and dull these days . All we have now is selling points. Lets have a bit more poetry . If you imagine like that your playing will surely improve . Good for your soul if you have one .

Actually, the idea of using "moon wood" (cut at night during a full-moon) for a guitar has been around for many decades. I don't know where (or when) it originated, but I have read about quite a few well-renowned European luthiers who have used it over the years (and continue to use it) for their instruments. I love the idea, although I know that the more scientifically minded will scoff at such poetic folly!

Lovemyguitar

Postby Lovemyguitar » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:29 pm

amezcua wrote:Salvador Castillo popped up on youtube today and there you can hear the sort of guitar I was interested in .More like this will be found by looking up Purapecha Guitars. It`s the Palo Escrito that gives it the character and bite .People say Palo is cheap but the price I saw yesterday for a set was $100 . Is that cheap/ ?I don`t know. How about Mahogany ?. I must do a search .

I have always been under the impression that Palo Escrito is an "economical" choice (as in, relatively cheap) for a guitar: some makers will build the exact same model with either Palo Escrito and Indian Rosewood (for example), and the PE model is (in my experience) always less expensive. I think $100 for a set (if one is not buying in bulk) is pretty cheap. But, of course, if it is pleasing to you, then who cares what it costs or if it is less expensive than something else?

Lovemyguitar

Postby Lovemyguitar » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:33 pm

P.S. Please be mindful of your political comments: such discussion is not allowed on this forum. Let's keep it about guitars!

amezcua

Postby amezcua » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:36 pm

I did a little editing to remove mention of countries . Sorry about that . Some guitar woods give a distinct sound flavour .Brazilian and Indian Rosewood are both resonant but they don`t give me a recogniseable flavour in the way Mahogany does. Walnut is recognisable and Maple is too clearly Maple. I think that`s an odd wood for guitars . One youtube of Salvador Castillo shows a back made from Spanish Cypress I think and I was attracted by the bite in the sound and how it had a close relation to a fine harpsichord . One of my pet hates with lattice bracing is how it sounds like a piano . But I like the harpsichord sound. Already I`m shifting my preferences from Palo to Cypress .

Lovemyguitar

Postby Lovemyguitar » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:01 pm

Cypress is gaining in popularity for classical guitar backs/sides, from what I've read, and I think it has always been common in flamenco guitars, although I may be mistaken. Since you like "bite" in the sound, perhaps you should consider a flamenco guitar -- they are designed to provide that biting, almost raspy sound that is not as common (nor as desirable) in a classical.

amezcua

Postby amezcua » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:11 am

The mystery of Javier Ugalde and the parachoguitar site deepens .When you look up his name and that site on Facebook you can find all sorts of strange computer nonsense like a page of website domains .Each has a national flag followed by parachoguitar .There are about 160 on one page. I don`t even know what a domain is or does. But look at parachoguitar as a normal site and it shows "Site under construction ."How can normal people compete with stuff like that ? I`m using the word "normal" in the very loose sense .
Yes Cypress wood has a very attractive clean sound without being too dominant like Maple.

Lovemyguitar

Postby Lovemyguitar » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:29 pm

I know nothing about the person or the site to which you refer, so I cannot comment on that specifically. However, I think the moral of the story is: before you send money to somebody online for a guitar (or anything), it may be a good idea to do some research into their history, to help determine how trustworthy and legitimate they are. There are many scams online, and one has to be careful. I have bought instruments online a few times, and I always insist on telephone contact with the seller -- having a nice long chat with someone can help to reveal what sort of person they are, and quell any fears that one may have as to their veracity. Live and learn.

amezcua

Postby amezcua » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:00 pm

One disadvantage to this arrangement was the different language. I can`t speak Spanish. All the Paypal was in Spanish too. As far as I knew the deal involved a reputable famous maker . I don`t regard Spanish as a difficult language but I never got around to learning it. I would say it was far easier to learn than Welsh though . Strangely the Paracho people have their own live ,indigenous language before they learn Spanish .I can see how English might be a bridge too far for them . It seems a shame that globalisation might destroy the accumulated guitar creation knowledge that has developed there for so long .
I thought Paracho was better known . Maybe Canada has less contact with Mexicans. In Paracho you are almost touching Aztec history . That`s a very cool thing in itself .

Return to “The Café”