Shredding ?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
malc laney

Shredding ?

Post by malc laney » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:15 pm

what is it , and do we do it?

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Re: Shredding ?

Post by Steve Ganz » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:39 pm

Steve

fauxEspanol

Post by fauxEspanol » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:45 am

Classical guitarists, specifically flamenco players were the original "shredders" because of the speed at which they could run scale over the fingerboard. George Harrison studied with Segovia for a short while to get a feel for this fingerstyle playing. The more popular term is associated with speed note picking (with or without a pick) on electric guitar. Running scale lead-work at high speed. Some of us shred, you could say.

2handband

Post by 2handband » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:50 am

[mod edit: copyrighted music. Search youtube: Yngwie Malmsteen - Far Beyond The Sun HD]

khayes

Post by khayes » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:02 am

fauxEspanol wrote:Classical guitarists, specifically flamenco players were the original "shredders" because of the speed at which they could run scale over the fingerboard. George Harrison studied with Segovia for a short while to get a feel for this fingerstyle playing. The more popular term is associated with speed note picking (with or without a pick) on electric guitar. Running scale lead-work at high speed. Some of us shred, you could say.
Sorry to be off topic, but I have to ask. Is it true that Harrison studied with Segovia?
Ken

Jeffrey Armbruster

shredding

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:21 am

n.m.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

fauxEspanol

Re: shredding

Post by fauxEspanol » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:39 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:n.m.
No, not true. But he did use a Spanish guitar speed riff on one of the Beatles sound tracks to show his appreciation for Segovia. He spent time around legendary shredder Ravi Shankar, though.

Salvador

Post by Salvador » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:14 am

There are classical guitarists on youtube who practice shredding. They use scale and arpeggio patterns from Yngwei Malmsteen and other guitarist. Classical guitarist should at least know some basic flamenco like scales and rasgueado. That's why you see some classical guitarist who can play scales very fast, it's like they're a flamenco guitarist.

But it's not really about speed only. Example Prelude 1006 by Bach. If you don't practice scales, you will struggle to play E-Major. You can still play it but at a slow tempo. That's why practicing scales is very important because there are classical guitar pieces that requires your fingers to be quick. Example, Allegro Solemne, Etude 3 & 7 by Villa-Lobos.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:25 am

That's all the Yngwie I'll ever need. It's hard to listen to a whole album of that though, as brilliant as he is. He never plays it the same twice. There was a video of him playing a nylon string in a stand, with a pick of course. Man if I could play that fast.

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:14 am

https://youtu.be/CWtvbXmWqz4
my favorite shredder
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

Michael K7

Post by Michael K7 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:47 am

This guy was the ultimate electric guitar shredder IMO:

[mod edit: copyrighted music. Search youtube: Up close solo from Shawn Lane]

I don't think of shredder as a negative term like many do, although i tire quickly of hearing so many notes at blazing speeds.
Deal with reality, or reality will deal with you.

DaveM

Post by DaveM » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:18 am

If you haven't heard Frank Gambale's (Chick Corea Electrik Band) sweep picking method before, I suggest you give him a listen.

https://youtu.be/cMgNA-usbH8
He's a gifted electric and acoustic guitarist - and a nice guy.

Adrian Allan

Re: shredding

Post by Adrian Allan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:42 pm

fauxEspanol wrote:
Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:n.m.
No, not true. But he did use a Spanish guitar speed riff on one of the Beatles sound tracks to show his appreciation for Segovia. He spent time around legendary shredder Ravi Shankar, though.
I think that the track you are talking about is called "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill", which is on the Beatles' white album.

When you listen to the track (find it on Youtube), the fast flamenco riff at the start is actually played by a Mellotron, which is keyboard instrument from the 1960s that triggers tape loops. One of the tape loops is is the riff at the start of the song. It is an early form of what was later to be called "sampling". George Harrison does not play the riff.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:15 pm

DaveM wrote:If you haven't heard Frank Gambale's (Chick Corea Electrik Band) sweep picking method before, I suggest you give him a listen.

https://youtu.be/cMgNA-usbH8
He's a gifted electric and acoustic guitarist - and a nice guy.
Interesting - in fact his approach seems very similar to ours when we examine fingering options to play a fast scale or run with as little effort possible.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:32 pm

malc laney wrote:what is it , and do we do it?
Most people have replied with info about "shredders", not a definition of "shredding".

Here it is: it's a form of speed metal characterized by many flatted 5ths and minor 2nds, and extensive use of Locrian mode. Generally this requires an electric guitar with lightning fast action and grunge distortion pedals.

I hope this answers your question. :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Return to “The Café”