Article on hearing loss and classical guitar

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Charles Mokotoff

Article on hearing loss and classical guitar

Postby Charles Mokotoff » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:49 pm

Erik Zurcher

Re: Article on hearing loss and classical guitar

Postby Erik Zurcher » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:50 pm

Thank you, Charles. Great article. :bye:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

lagartija

Postby lagartija » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:05 pm

Very nice article! I never knew about the possibility of Erythromycin causing damage to hearing. :shock:
Now I know...
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Jeffrey Armbruster

Postby Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:44 pm

Yes, great article Charles. I also had many, many ear infections as a child and remember using Erythromycin drops--unless it was oral...that antibiotic among others. I think my hearing loss is more from reconstructive surgery of the hammer, anvil and stirrup however.

Anyone who's heard Charles' recordings here knows that he produces a beautiful tone and is a brilliant guitarist.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:05 am

Great article, Charles!
Hauser III 2014!

Pat Dodson

Postby Pat Dodson » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:34 am

Jack Douglas wrote:Great article, Charles!

+1

The following information appears on the website of the American Speech, Language and Hearing Association (and is backed up by other credible sources.)

"There are more than 200 medications and chemicals that are known to cause hearing and balance problems. It is important to discuss with your doctor the potential for hearing or balance damage of any drug you are taking. Sometimes there is little choice. Treatment with a particular medication may provide the best hope for curing a life-threatening disease or stopping a life-threatening infection.

Ototoxic medications known to cause permanent damage include certain aminoglycoside antibiotics, such as gentamicin (family history may increase susceptibility), and cancer chemotherapy drugs, such as cisplatin and carboplatin.

Drugs known to cause temporary damage include salicylate pain relievers (aspirin, used for pain relief and to treat heart conditions), quinine (to treat malaria), and loop diuretics (to treat certain heart and kidney conditions).

In some instances, exposure to loud noise while taking certain drugs will increase their damaging effects."

There is advice to report any dizziness, balance problem or ringing in the ears when on such medication.

mmapag

Postby mmapag » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:15 am

Thank you for this interview Charles. I have just recently been diagnosed with fairly significant hearing loss in my left ear at age 65. The right is still pretty good. I am not a performing CG player. In my practice room, i hear what i play just fine. I do have issues with tinnitus that is more accute sometimes than others. When it is more accute, it's hard to hear good tone and everything in the upper register sounds really shrill.

The hopeful thought in the interview is that hearing loss is not a musical death sentence. I applaud your persistence and hope to hear you perform.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

Contreras

Postby Contreras » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:49 am

Thank you Charles - an interesting read.
I don't have significant hearing loss, but after nearly 50 years behind the dental air-rotor (why did no-one advocate hearing protectors?) and a lifetime of sinusitis it's not what it used to be. When I think about sensory loss, I think I always feared deafness more than blindness. It's encouraging to read that hearing aids can work satisfactorily.
Thinking of deaf musicians brings to mind one of my favorite books - 'An Equal Music' by Vickram Seth. Very moving and written with a deep knowledge of music and musicians.
Any philosophy that can be put in a nutshell belongs in one.

PeteJ

Postby PeteJ » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:50 pm

Useful article, thanks. My hearing is okay at 65 but tuning seems to be getting more difficult an my electric tuner is becoming indispensable.

Charles Mokotoff

Postby Charles Mokotoff » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:03 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:
There is advice to report any dizziness, balance problem or ringing in the ears when on such medication.

My understanding is some hearing loss caused by ototoxic drugs is reversible, tinnitus is usually the first sign. If you are given anything that causes this, report it immediately, as it is most effectively reversed if caught early.

I sincerely hope no one reading this needs this advice!

astro64

Postby astro64 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:24 pm

Very nice interview, it is amazing to me how at such young age you had the determination to proceed and stick with it, to reaching the high level you perform at.

Charles Mokotoff

Postby Charles Mokotoff » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:48 pm

Thanks..ha...some of the greatest artists have been lunatics! ;)

Erik Zurcher

Postby Erik Zurcher » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:09 pm

Charles Mokotoff wrote:Thanks..ha...some of the greatest artists have been lunatics! ;)

:lol: Not lunatics, only commited, dedicated and inspired! A rare breed in a world dominated by monetary gain.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Charles Mokotoff

Postby Charles Mokotoff » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:40 am

Thank you Eric, and everyone, you are very kind.

DaveM

Postby DaveM » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:35 am

Thank you Charles for all the good info. I am just recently diagnosed with tinnitus myself and this will be of help in understanding the effects of same.
And... I very much enjoyed your playing.

Return to “The Café”