Best guitar humidifier?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
cool09

Best guitar humidifier?

Post by cool09 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Planet waves, Dampit?

bear

Re: Best guitar humidifier?

Post by bear » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:49 pm

I use planet waves, I've also used a wet sponge inside a medication bottle that had been drilled with holes. Both worked equally well.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:57 pm

I use the Oasis in-hole unit. Honestly, pick one. My Oasis requires 5 mins of maintenance every 2 weeks.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:42 am

Anything will work. I think it's far more important to achieve relative humidity with an accurate hygrometer.

But I don't fuss about it. Once in awhile I use something to keep moisture.

Summer months I will be more proactive.

Planet Waves and Dampit are glorified sponges. Just use anything with distilled water, no big deal. Get a hygrometer calibrated, is far more important. You have no idea what you are humidifying, if you don't have a relative idea of what the humidity actually is, hence, the term relative humidity.

Relatively speaking, pun intended, it's so overdone, or done when not necessary.

Allister Slingenberg

Post by Allister Slingenberg » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:43 pm

I dont use distilled water with my glorified sponge, is this a problem? thanks.

bear

Post by bear » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:57 pm

Allister Slingenberg wrote:I dont use distilled water with my glorified sponge, is this a problem? thanks.
i use straight from the tap never heard of using distilled
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Kent

Post by Kent » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:24 pm

bear wrote:
Allister Slingenberg wrote:I dont use distilled water with my glorified sponge, is this a problem? thanks.
Use distilled. $1.00 bottle at the supermarket will last a year or two. You can also use water from a Reverse Osmosis system.
Tap water, especially with high mineral content, will reduce the effectiveness of the sponges water evaporation over time. Distilled water also pretty much eliminates mold forming.
The most important thing is to actually use a guitar humidifier. Using tap water will just force you to replace it more often.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:20 pm

Kent wrote:
bear wrote:
Use distilled. $1.00 bottle at the supermarket will last a year or two. You can also use water from a Reverse Osmosis system.
Tap water, especially with high mineral content, will reduce the effectiveness of the sponges water evaporation over time. Distilled water also pretty much eliminates mold forming.
The most important thing is to actually use a guitar humidifier. Using tap water will just force you to replace it more often.
If you use the Oasis or other "desiccant beads" systems, you really need distilled water or you'll mess up the beads. Distilled is better all the way around.

Also, I completely agree with those who recommend getting a good hygrometer. Many of us use the Caliber IV made for cigar humidors. The SF Bay Area is classified as "semi-arid". Who would have thought that, eh? And right now with cold weather out of the North, our humidity is dropping. I check humidity daily, and boost humidifier action as needed. Honestly, my total time expenditure for humidity maintenance is 2.5 to 5 mins per week. It's truly that simple once you are set up.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:26 pm

I have a Humicase, with a built in sponge. But I use the D'addario Humidipaks, which are simple. Someone here mentioned that the sponge in their Humicase turned moldy (!!). You don't want that. Another advantage to the Humidipaks.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:18 am

I live in Oregon, and the temperature finally came up and so did the humidity. During our little cold snap, the humidity was down as low as 36%. But now it's come back up to 44%. If we get snow again,, I am going to put the guitars in their humicases. I have brand new humidifier discs for my cases now, 5 bucks a piece from Chicago music exchange.

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:16 pm

I've been consistently happy with the Humidipack system; easy to use and consistent results. Before that I used the Oasis refillable "bead" units, but I got tired of refilling them every couple of days. Two or three weeks might go by before I play my GVR, but when I open the case the humidity is always in the 47-50% range.
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:41 pm

"Best" can be quite subjective but after all these years I have settled on using my own DIY solution for the soundhole, and humidipaks for the headstock/neck.

For the soundhole I prefer my own DIY solution which is basically a mesh pouch, a plastic Ziploc with holes and a sponge. I like this solution because it is cheap, will not leak into the guitar, not made of any hard plastics that could damage the guitar especially while in transit, doesn't stretch the strings, any more benefits. The other stuff you can buy on the market I have found have flaws I don't like. The Oasis for example can dry out and leak and needs the crystals to be replaced. The dampit dries out really fast and chance of accidental leakage is higher. The humidipaks are tedious to insert/remove from the soundhole and can puncture and leak. Others are made of hard plastics that stretch the strings and can damage the guitar when in transit, etc.

See my post here for details: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=109388&p=1165280#p1165280
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:03 am

Nowadays of course, we have the two way systems that let the water in and out as required. The gel in the little paper bag thing. Such fun.
That is, until you take your guitar out of the case and discover that one of the clever little baggies, the one inserted between the strings, has decided to leak some of its funky hydrating gel over the label of your nice guitar. It happened to me recently and the air was ever so slightly blue as a consequence. It might be modern, it might be clever, it might even be funky ...but I'm mightily unimpressed!
Good old D'addario.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

a human

Post by a human » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:57 am

souldier wrote:"Best" can be quite subjective but after all these years I have settled on using my own DIY solution for the soundhole, and humidipaks for the headstock/neck.

For the soundhole I prefer my own DIY solution which is basically a mesh pouch, a plastic Ziploc with holes and a sponge. I like this solution because it is cheap, will not leak into the guitar, not made of any hard plastics that could damage the guitar especially while in transit, doesn't stretch the strings, any more benefits. The other stuff you can buy on the market I have found have flaws I don't like. The Oasis for example can dry out and leak and needs the crystals to be replaced. The dampit dries out really fast and chance of accidental leakage is higher. The humidipaks are tedious to insert/remove from the soundhole and can puncture and leak. Others are made of hard plastics that stretch the strings and can damage the guitar when in transit, etc.

See my post here for details: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=109388&p=1165280#p1165280
How do you use the propylene glycol mentioned in the linked post? TIA.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
Martin Sigma DM-1 Dreadnaught (std)
2011 Cordoba Cadete Classical (615 mm)
2014 Martin DX1AE (std)

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:29 am

I hope this isn't too off topic, but I have doubts about case humidifiers in general. I was really worried about this a while back, because I live in Phoenix and I was concerned I would desiccate my nice guitar and cause cracking. I learned quite a lot on the topic, but I'm not an engineer, luthier, or even a well respected forum member with an opinion likely to carry weight, so I'll avoid going into detail.

I concluded that offering my guitar an environment of stable temperature and humidity over the long arc of time was more important than offering it a humidity source like watering a plant. The exact value of that stable point was less important than hitting that point gently, but assuming that the construction of the guitar was probably done using stable wood at a mid-range humidity, the most gentle result would be a mid range humidity for storage as well. Low percent changes and slow equilibration was my goal.

It turns out my worries were probably unfounded. It's likely that I have an easier time of achieving storage stability than many of you who have already posted above me. I see Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York, and BC - all places that freeze in winter and are lush green and humid in summer compared to my area. My house indoor temp varies from 65 in cold weather to 75 in hot weather and the indoor humidity near where my guitars live appears to vary between 30 and 50%. The humidity appears to be more affected by indoor temperature than time of year.

I decided to further stabilize for the guitars, though, and built this:

It was a Goodwill find that got pretty heavily reworked as a DIY project to make a sealed guitar cabinet. For me, the outcome is ideal. I was planning to add a humidity stabilizer using about a liter of saturated potassium carbonate in a glass jar with a Gore-Tex lid. In theory, that should equilibrate to about 43% RH. However, I put a hygrometer in the cabinet and found the RH was already at 55% so I just decided to watch. It hasn't varied more than a few points up or down ever since. I have 2 kg of sealed K2CO3 waiting to make a stabilizer jar, as plan B

Granted - this is not a workable solution for many people based on space, cost, time, DIY interest, etc., but I put it here as an example of what I believe to be a definitive humidity solution for a fraction of the cost of a commercial guitar cabinet. I probably put about $300 into this over a couple of months.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

Return to “The Café”