Best guitar humidifier?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Kent

Re: Best guitar humidifier?

Post by Kent » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Really nice set up, but I would get a better hygrometer than the one in your picture. Had a similar one in my Mark Leaf case and it was way off!

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:54 pm

BellyDoc wrote:
I decided to further stabilize for the guitars, though, and built this:

It was a Goodwill find that got pretty heavily reworked as a DIY project to make a sealed guitar cabinet. For me, the outcome is ideal. I was planning to add a humidity stabilizer using about a liter of saturated potassium carbonate in a glass jar with a Gore-Tex lid. In theory, that should equilibrate to about 43% RH. However, I put a hygrometer in the cabinet and found the RH was already at 55% so I just decided to watch. It hasn't varied more than a few points up or down ever since. I have 2 kg of sealed K2CO3 waiting to make a stabilizer jar, as plan B

Granted - this is not a workable solution for many people based on space, cost, time, DIY interest, etc., but I put it here as an example of what I believe to be a definitive humidity solution for a fraction of the cost of a commercial guitar cabinet. I probably put about $300 into this over a couple of months.
That is one fine cabinet! Nice work! I'd have to agree with Kent: Do install a better hygrometer.

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks! I suspect you're right. The response rate was slow when I put it in there. Since it's all a great learning opportunity, I'll put in a digital/capacitance based unit and leave this one for comparison. I end up doing the exact same thing with cook temps when I barbecue brisket. ;) When I learn more, I'll post a thread.

Do you have a recommendation for a specific hygrometer or better yet - a recommendation to AVOID?
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

Michael K7

Post by Michael K7 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:57 am

I use the planet waves in the sound hole, and soap dish that i drilled holes in the top with a sponge inside for the headstock area. If the guitar is not being played, it's in the case. Never had any issues.
Deal with reality, or reality will deal with you.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:18 pm

Boveda - 2-way humidity control
Boveda for Guitars: Starter Kit

Package includes 4 large 70 gram Boveda packs and 2 leak-resistant fabric holders
Typically lasts between 2-5 months in a seasoned case. Longevity depends on time of year, case quality and ambient RH levels
Boveda Dimensions: 5.25" x 3.5"
2+ year shelf life in original packaging
Replace with refill packs when Boveda becomes rigid.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:48 pm

What is the lowest humidity you would tolerate without resorting to countermeasures? We have 37% at the moment (very cold dry weather).
Last edited by rojarosguitar on Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

markj

Post by markj » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:59 pm

I am using a combination of Oasis sound hole humidifiers and prescription pill bottles with holes drilled in the caps filled with Miracle Grow soil moisture beads which absorb excess moisture and release it as needed.

Also using calibrated hygrometers, and the D'addario Humiditrak Blue Tooth hygrometers. I must have 10 hygrometers located in various places around the house.

I have two acoustic pianos in my "music" room including a 6' 3" grand. The music room is actually the entry room of the house. I just recently replaced the entry door which was showing it's age as it was installed when the house was built in 1950. I also use two 3,500 sqft rated, wicking humidifiers. One is located in the music room the other one in the dining room that has wood floors and lots of wood furniture. The first floor of the house id 3,500sqft and my RH is being held at a consistent 50% even through the worst winter weather Wisconsin throws at us.

I push about 7 gallons of water into the air every 36 hours or so.

rojarosguitar

Re: Best guitar humidifier? Do I have to be alarmed?

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:40 am

rojarosguitar wrote:What is the lowest humidity you would tolerate without resorting to countermeasures? We have 37% at the moment (very cold dry weather).
Bump...
Do I have to be alarmed by 35%-37%?
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:55 am

I have the Boveda (d'addario) humidipaks. I've been through a few weeks of about 39-40%, sometimes a bit lower. the paks didn't really start to dry out--maybe a little. this suggests that there wasn't a great need for their moisture. but I was boiling water for tea, or sometimes just to get the humidity up to 45% for a few hours (i'm in a small apartment). Why not get the humidipaks--they're not expensive and are easy and safe, despite some comments to the contrary. I'm a worry wart so I would have something in my case at those levels. any of the DIY suggestions in this thread, for example.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Kent

Post by Kent » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:05 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
rojarosguitar wrote:What is the lowest humidity you would tolerate without resorting to countermeasures? We have 37% at the moment (very cold dry weather).
Bump...
Is this the humidity across the beautiful German countryside, or in your guitar storage area?
It is very easy to control humidity levels for your guitars using case therapy. 35%-37% is a little low, but not a cracker! Best to always strive for 45-55% range. Use some of the methods stated here.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:56 pm

THANKS!
it's very dry in our countryside at the moment, but the weather is supposed to slowly change in a few days.

a human

Post by a human » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:27 pm

I have a smallish humidifier for the room that doesn't seem to do a thing. Because of weight, I use gig bags for the dreadnoughts. Will a case humidifier work well with that? (Loved the repurposed guitar cabinet.)
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:45 pm

Kent wrote:
rojarosguitar wrote:
Bump...
Is this the humidity across the beautiful German countryside, or in your guitar storage area?
It is very easy to control humidity levels for your guitars using case therapy. 35%-37% is a little low, but not a cracker! Best to always strive for 45-55% range. Use some of the methods stated here.
In the Rodriguez literature that accompanied my Model FF Sabicas, they state 40% to 80% RH. I have seen many sources of "expert" info that specifies a varying ranges. No recommendations go below 40, nor higher than 80, just like Rodriguez states. I have kept my guitars at 60% in their cases for years and I have never had a problem.

I said in a previous post that the SF Bay Area is classified semi-arid. We will see RH numbers approaching 30% at times (for those of us who honestly track RH). It is totally simple to maintain 60% inside the case using combinations of the Oasis in-hole thingy and "clay in a pot" units. I mix and match and spend maximum 5 mins per two weeks doing so.

I could build a guitar cab. It would certainly look totally cool. But the SF Bay area is also earthquake country. Summing up humidity issues and earthquake safety here, it's best to keep your instruments in their hard cases.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:05 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Bump...
Hello :)
I suppose it all depends on the type of instrument you have, i.e., how fine an instrument is it, concert level and such. In other words, how delicate is it? My RH values are wavering between 40% to 50% in the room where I keep and practice my guitar. I'm testing out a new humidifier I purchased for this Winter, so I don't know how it is just yet?

Alarmed at 37% RH - probably not, but get the humidifier going and bring it up to 40-something. When the Winters are cold and dry as we have also, keeping the RH values at 40 to 45% in the room where you keep your guitar should be alright. But, some may consider that rather low? Again, based on your particular instrument and its particular needs, this may or may not be fine for you. :)

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:10 pm

BellyDoc wrote:Thanks! I suspect you're right. The response rate was slow when I put it in there. Since it's all a great learning opportunity, I'll put in a digital/capacitance based unit and leave this one for comparison. I end up doing the exact same thing with cook temps when I barbecue brisket. ;) When I learn more, I'll post a thread.

Do you have a recommendation for a specific hygrometer or better yet - a recommendation to AVOID?
It doesn't necessarily have to be digital. Some very good hygrometers can be of the analog type - and I admit I prefer that type and look. I'm still searching. I can PM you and let you in on more details as I come up with them, if you'd like?

As for avoidance - yes: Definitely stay away from those $10 analog hygrometers! haha A really good analog model costs somewhat more. :wink:

Return to “The Café”