Best guitar humidifier?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
User avatar
zupfgeiger
Posts: 1795
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:12 pm
Location: Wezembeek-Oppem, Belgium

Re: Best guitar humidifier?

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:21 pm

Cheap hygrometers are all rubbish. Recently I ordered an 8 EURO device for the guitar case in my office. It shows figures which are completely incorrect and differ 10 degrees from the solid hair hygrometer in my music room at home. Same bad experience with different digital hygros I used some time ago.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

JohnB
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:17 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Best guitar humidifier?

Post by JohnB » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:28 pm

Quite a few people here, including myself, recommend Calibre IV hygrometers which,in my experience, are very accurate.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

User avatar
riemsesy
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:06 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Best guitar humidifier?

Post by riemsesy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:31 pm

the RH doesn't get lower than 65% in this part of The Netherlands where I live
RH is 82% at the moment. It has to be really freezing to get the air a little bit dry here.
Best regards,
Richard Frank

JohnB
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:17 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Best guitar humidifier?

Post by JohnB » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:18 pm

riemsesy wrote:the RH doesn't get lower than 65% in this part of The Netherlands where I live
RH is 82% at the moment. It has to be really freezing to get the air a little bit dry here.
Is that 82% RH indoors with the heating on, or 82% RH outdoors?
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

User avatar
riemsesy
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:06 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Best guitar humidifier?

Post by riemsesy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:26 pm

JohnB wrote:
riemsesy wrote:the RH doesn't get lower than 65% in this part of The Netherlands where I live
RH is 82% at the moment. It has to be really freezing to get the air a little bit dry here.
Is that 82% RH indoors with the heating on, or 82% RH outdoors?
The RH is 82% outdoors and indoors is now 62% with central heating
Best regards,
Richard Frank

JohnB
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:17 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Best guitar humidifier?

Post by JohnB » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:51 pm

riemsesy wrote:The RH is 82% outdoors and indoors is now 62% with central heating
Interesting. In rough terms the RH halves for every 10 degrees C rise in temperature, so if the outdoors temperature is, say, 10C and indoors it is, say, 20C then the 62%RH indoors seems on the high side.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

User avatar
riemsesy
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:06 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Best guitar humidifier?

Post by riemsesy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:30 pm

hmm.. at this moment the temp is 7° outside, it's 19° indoors
it roughly halves every 10 degrees, RH indoors shoud be lower than 40?

maybe I should buy a better hygrometer
Best regards,
Richard Frank

User avatar
zupfgeiger
Posts: 1795
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:12 pm
Location: Wezembeek-Oppem, Belgium

Re: Best guitar humidifier?

Post by zupfgeiger » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:09 pm

riemsesy wrote:the RH doesn't get lower than 65% in this part of The Netherlands where I live
RH is 82% at the moment. It has to be really freezing to get the air a little bit dry here.
Hmmm. That's quite strange, as I live not so far from the Netherlands in Belgium with similar weather conditions. On 28 January it still was pretty cold after a long periode of dry winter weather with humidity constantly below 40 degrees.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

User avatar
riemsesy
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:06 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Best guitar humidifier?

Post by riemsesy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:51 pm

:) well.. there is a small difference.
Den Helder is on three sides surrounded by water
Image

the city is just below or on sea level and the weather here is always opposite of the rest of Holland
it hasn't ben very cold either
Best regards,
Richard Frank

User avatar
zupfgeiger
Posts: 1795
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:12 pm
Location: Wezembeek-Oppem, Belgium

Re: Best guitar humidifier?

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:05 pm

Ok, your point. Weather might be slightly different at your special location. Must be a nice place to live - and no humidity issues with your guitar. :D
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

dory
Posts: 1748
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:29 am
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Re: Best guitar humidifier?

Post by dory » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:46 pm

I can't afford a hygrometer. I just have a Planet Wave and am not using distilled water. Our water does have a high mineral content but I was thinkingnit shoukd be pretty easy to replace thensponge-- even if I have to cut one to fit. I never used to humidify but then I didn't have a solid body as opposed to laminate guitar.
Dory

JohnB
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:17 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Best guitar humidifier?

Post by JohnB » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:01 pm

dory wrote:I can't afford a hygrometer. I just have a Planet Wave and am not using distilled water. Our water does have a high mineral content but I was thinkingnit shoukd be pretty easy to replace thensponge-- even if I have to cut one to fit. I never used to humidify but then I didn't have a solid body as opposed to laminate guitar.
It really is a good idea to get a reliable hygrometer, even if you have to save up for one. The Calibre IV is one of the best at an affordable price: $24 on the US big river site.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

a human
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 1:37 am
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina

Re: Best guitar humidifier?

Post by a human » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:31 pm

JohnB wrote:
dory wrote:I can't afford a hygrometer. I just have a Planet Wave and am not using distilled water. Our water does have a high mineral content but I was thinkingnit shoukd be pretty easy to replace thensponge-- even if I have to cut one to fit. I never used to humidify but then I didn't have a solid body as opposed to laminate guitar.
It really is a good idea to get a reliable hygrometer, even if you have to save up for one. The Calibre IV is one of the best at an affordable price: $24 on the US big river site.
Do you put a hygrometer in each guitar case and check its readings how frequently?
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
Martin Sigma DM-1 Dreadnaught (std)
2011 Cordoba Cadete Classical (615 mm)
2014 Martin DX1AE (std)

JohnB
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:17 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Best guitar humidifier?

Post by JohnB » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:47 pm

a human wrote:Do you put a hygrometer in each guitar case and check its readings how frequently?
That depends. You can use a hygrometer to keep an eye on the RH (relative humidity) in the room where the guitars are or, if you are using a humidifier in the guitar case, keep a hygrometer in the case to check whether the humidifier is doing its job and keeping the RH within a reasonable range.

The Planetwaves Humidipaks shouldn't need much attention but IMO if you are using some form of damp sponge you have no idea whether you are under or over humidifying unless you use a hygrometer.

Myself, these days I have a room humidifier and use a hygrometer to keep a check on how that is performing. If I was relying on a damp sponge type of humidifier I would probably initially to check the RH in the case daily until I got the feel of how often I could safely leave it between checks.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Nimo956
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:10 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Best guitar humidifier?

Post by Nimo956 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:59 am

I use the Oasis soundhole humidifier and like it b/c I can see when it needs to be refilled. I've been thinking about adding a second one near the headstock. Do people recommend this or is it unnecessary?

Return to “The Café”