Printer suddenly prints blank pages

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Ramon Amira
Teacher

Printer suddenly prints blank pages

Post by Ramon Amira » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:55 am

Any tech wizards here? My printer - HP Laser Jet 1320 - suddenly prints blank pages. I am definitely not out of ink. This started a few days ago on Monday when I went to print a shipping label from my Fedex account. I had filled out all the info on my online Fedex form, it then displayed the shipping label ready for printing as always, but printed blank pages. After an hour with Fedex tech support they suggested I try a different browser. I have been using Firefox. So I somehow managed to use IE, brought up the same page, and it printed.

Just now, I had to make a payment online, and after I paid it I had the option to print out the displayed receipt for my payment, but it came out blank. I have scanned a random document to create a PDF, and it will not print, nor will an existing PDF print, nor will a new or existing WORD document print.

So even if this was somehow a browser problem with an externally sent document or image, that should have nothing to do with printing out an existing or new WORD document or PDF, which I assume can't/shouldn't be related to a browser. I have tried printing out a Test Page from HP, but get only blank pages.

I went to "Troubleshoot a Printer," but got an Error message, and the Troubleshoot window would not open. I can't think that it just flat out stopped working, because when I switched to IE it worked fine.

Is there anything to be said for uninstalling the printer and reinstalling it? I can "Remove This Device," but I don't know how to reinstall it. It's a USB device which is supposed to be automatically recognized. Should I first Remove it, then unplug it from the back of the computer, then replug it into the computer? Or first unplug it from the computer, then Remove it, then replug it. Or is all that useless.

Would a "System Restore" have anything to do with a printer?

Greatly appreciate any help. And though I know all help here always comes from the heart, still I would happily like to send six sets of La Bella Rectified Nylon treble sets. Low tension naturally. :D

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

souldier

Re: Printer suddenly prints blank pages

Post by souldier » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:08 am

Sounds like a driver issue. At least that would be the first thing I'd look into.

Go here to http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/sel ... del/410624

and it should take you directly to the place where you can get the latest drivers for your printer. Install the latest drivers and then see if your problem goes away. If that doesn't work, then I'd uninstall/remove everything related to your printer then start from scratch using the drivers in the link I provided. If that doesn't work let us know. I'd try to avoid doing a system restore for now as that creates other issues with the computer
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:26 am

I am assuming that you have tried turning off the printer (on/off switch-hard reboot), and rebooted your computer? Sometimes, the communication gets botched up when a print job fails. Windows is particularly bad when it comes to failed print jobs.

Turn off printer. Wait at least one minute.
While computer is rebooting, turn printer back on.

Attempt to print test page.

If that doesn't work, launch the printer's utility program, then reinstall driver. Most drivers self-check if it is the most recent version before completing the installation.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

astro64

Post by astro64 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:14 am

Will the printer still make copies? Most have that option. That would be independent of any driver software and will tell you if the printing parts are working as they should. If not, the problem is with the printing mechanism itself.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:17 am

I have turned the printer off and on numerous times. I have tried a Test Page - blank. I tried to install drivers from the link - no change. I have tried to make copies - blank. There is nothing wrong with the printer's mechanism, because it printed out the Fedex shipping label perfectly. That was when I brought up the shipping label onto my screen with IE instead of Firefox. So that would seem like some kind of browser issue. But a browser issue should not preclude simply printing out a one page already existing WORD document. It's really bizarre.

I guess all that's left to try is uninstalling and reinstalling the printer, which I will try tomorrow. Thanks to all.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:39 am

Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:58 am

Ramon, if having the latest drivers didn't work, I suggest you take a look at this link before trying anything else: http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/posts/43636

It seems to be a unique problem with that printer due to a design flaw. In any case, take a look at the link and read some of the posts where people were able to solve their problem.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

GJW

Post by GJW » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:46 pm

lagartija wrote:Sometimes, the communication gets botched up when a print job fails.
I love technical jargon.... :)
Yamaha CG120, Takamine EC132SC, Perl Gold lute style classical
2 x Westone electrics
2 x Fender F series 6 string (steel), Fender F series 12 string
Yamaha Bass
2 x Sitar (from India/Pakistan)
Kokle (from Latvia), Geierleyer (from Germany) and a Ukulele

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:08 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:I have turned the printer off and on numerous times. I have tried a Test Page - blank. I tried to install drivers from the link - no change. I have tried to make copies - blank. There is nothing wrong with the printer's mechanism, because it printed out the Fedex shipping label perfectly. That was when I brought up the shipping label onto my screen with IE instead of Firefox. So that would seem like some kind of browser issue. But a browser issue should not preclude simply printing out a one page already existing WORD document. It's really bizarre.

I guess all that's left to try is uninstalling and reinstalling the printer, which I will try tomorrow. Thanks to all.

Ramon
You did not mention if you shut down your computer ( full off not just a restart). Try that before removing and reinstalling the printer.
I have had that solve the problem on occasion.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

kdwiklund

Post by kdwiklund » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:53 pm

Sometimes the ink gets clogged. That has happened to me. Google how to make sure your cartridges are okay.
David Pace 2017 - cedar double-top
David Pace 2014 - spruce
Jose Oribe 1973 - spruce

jpryan

Post by jpryan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:24 pm

kdwiklund wrote:Sometimes the ink gets clogged. That has happened to me. Google how to make sure your cartridges are okay.
This is the most common reason when it happens to me. My printer doesn't get used often enough to prevent the ink from drying in the print heads. I try to remember to at least print a test page every few days, but that doesn't always happen; therefore I end up with a very large paperweight. :pascontent:
--John

khayes

Post by khayes » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:43 pm

jpryan wrote:
kdwiklund wrote:Sometimes the ink gets clogged. That has happened to me. Google how to make sure your cartridges are okay.
This is the most common reason when it happens to me. My printer doesn't get used often enough to prevent the ink from drying in the print heads. I try to remember to at least print a test page every few days, but that doesn't always happen; therefore I end up with a very large paperweight. :pascontent:
You guys know you can switch to laser printers and be done with that problem?? :D Toner lasts a long time and probably costs less than ink cartridges over time.
Ken

astro64

Post by astro64 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:05 pm

It seems to me that if the printer does not make copies it has nothing to do with the driver. Making a copy doesn't require a computer. It only involves the internal printer mechanisms and printer cartridge. The problem must lie there.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:56 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:I have turned the printer off and on numerous times. I have tried a Test Page - blank. I tried to install drivers from the link - no change. I have tried to make copies - blank. There is nothing wrong with the printer's mechanism, because it printed out the Fedex shipping label perfectly. That was when I brought up the shipping label onto my screen with IE instead of Firefox. So that would seem like some kind of browser issue. But a browser issue should not preclude simply printing out a one page already existing WORD document. It's really bizarre.

Ramon
Can you test again whether you can print from IE? (To check whether the Fedex label was a strange one-off.)

I'm not sure whether it is relevant but which version of Windows are you using?

If you can still print from IE then it obviously isn't a hardware fault.

When you tried (but failed) to print a test page were you doing that from the printer itself? (To print a Demo Page you set the printer in the Ready state (ready light on), then press and release the GO button to print a demo page.)

Have you tried to print a Configuration Page from the printer? (With the printer in the Ready state, press the GO button for about five seconds, until the Attention light turns on, and then release the button.)

Silly question, but have you checked the print margins that are set in Firefox and Word, and whether the print media is set correctly? (If they are set to something daft it can cause blank pages.)
Last edited by JohnB on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:16 pm

khayes wrote:
jpryan wrote:
You guys know you can switch to laser printers and be done with that problem?? :D Toner lasts a long time and probably costs less than ink cartridges over time.
The original poster did say he has a Laser printer - so all the tips about clogged ink cartridges are inapplicable.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Return to “The Café”