Printer suddenly prints blank pages

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
jpryan

Re: Printer suddenly prints blank pages

Postby jpryan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:55 pm

guitarrista wrote:The original poster did say he has a Laser printer - so all the tips about clogged ink cartridges are inapplicable.

Doh! Pays to read carefully. :oops:
--John

khayes

Postby khayes » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:06 pm

guitarrista wrote:
khayes wrote:
jpryan wrote:This is the most common reason when it happens to me. My printer doesn't get used often enough to prevent the ink from drying in the print heads. I try to remember to at least print a test page every few days, but that doesn't always happen; therefore I end up with a very large paperweight. :pascontent:
You guys know you can switch to laser printers and be done with that problem?? :D Toner lasts a long time and probably costs less than ink cartridges over time.

The original poster did say he has a Laser printer - so all the tips about clogged ink cartridges are inapplicable.
So he did - I'm a moron!
Ken

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Postby Ramon Amira » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:57 pm

I uninstalled the printer and reinstalled it. Now it won't print at all. Won't do anything. However, when I reinstalled it a window came up saying "Print out a test page." So I clicked on that but nothing happened. Then I pushed the green button of top of the printer and it printed out a perfect test page. Pushed it again - another perfect test page. Tried to print out a WORD document - nothing happens. Seems like I'm making progress, but now it just plain won't print. So there's plenty of ink, and the whole printing mechanism is working (Test Page). Any new thoughts in light of these new developments?

Thanks -
Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

guitarrista

Postby guitarrista » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:40 am

How is it connected to the computer? - usb or wireless? If the former, could be bad usb cable or loose physical connection or could be something wrong with the core usb drivers. If the latter - is the wireless turned on - on the printer and the computer? Can you do anything remotely from the computer to the printer - like checking toner levels or power-off?
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

JohnB

Postby JohnB » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:51 am

Ramon Amira wrote:Any new thoughts in light of these new developments?

Thanks -
Ramon

Assuming the drivers were correctly installed, a few things to eliminate:

- If the printer is connected with a USB cable, pull out the plugs at each end and re-insert them. Ideally, swap the USB cable for another. Then test the printer.

- Check that the printer you are printing to within Windows is actually the printer that is connected and is "ready". Sometimes the same printer can have more than one entry in the list of installed printers, e.g. with Copy 2 after the name. It is important to select which ever printer is "ready". In Windows 7 you can view the Printers and devices and see which printer is "ready".

- Previously you were able to print from IE, try printing from IE again.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Postby Ramon Amira » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:57 am

I checked connections - fine.

I went to "Devices and Printers." Right clicked the printer icon. The printer is checked as my default printer, and anyway is the only printer installed. It also says:

So that sounds like something is wrong.

I clicked on "Troubleshooting." It started for a moment, then gave the message:

An error occurred while troubleshooting.

A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting.

So that's where it stands now. If I press the green button on top it will print out a Test Page every time, but it will not print out anything, not even a blank page. Will not print a web page from IE. Tried printing a web page from Firefox and got a window "An error occurred while printing."
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Postby MessyTendon » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:55 am

Is this a blue tooth or wireless printer? If you can print with a cable connected, then it's a communications problem.

If you are anywhere near Louis Rossman, take your computer and printer to him. He's a damn maverick and can fix anything. He's in New York, and compared to California, New York is tiny :)

JohnB

Postby JohnB » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:50 am

Ramon Amira wrote:

Some things I would look at if I had the same problem:

If the printer is connected to a network (rather than directly to the PC you are using) - connect it directly to your PC instead. Does this make a difference?

Do the printer indicator lights behave as normal when you try (but fail) to print, or is there no change to them (as though nothing is happening).

Do the printer indicator lights indicate an error of some kind?

Do the print jobs stick in the print queue for the printer in Windows?

Does the printer work when connected (directly) to another computer?

Is the toner cartridge properly installed? EDIT: ignore this as test page works

Have you printed a Configuration Page from the printer? According to the HP website this lists current settings and properties of the printer. It also contains a status log report, it is is worth seeing what it says.

To print the Configuration Page: When the printer is in the Ready state, press the GO button for about five seconds, until the Attention light turns on, and then release the button.

Let us know what it indicates (if anything).
Last edited by JohnB on Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby simonm » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:47 pm

@Ramon. Clearly the printer is fine. It is amazing that after 30+years of personal computing, printers and pcs still cause so much frustration and lost time. It seems that the FedEx firefox plugin destroyed some settings somewhere. Not that that brings us much further.

Unplug the printer. Uninstall the driver, reboot the pc then plug in the printer again. Sometimes if you don't reboot it doesn't clean stuff up properly. Watch for the "plug and pray" message to appear. (should happen pretty quickly). If it doesn't pop up, do the add new printer thing. There is some voodoo involved. Sometimes repeating the same action does change things.

Worth also checking the link guitarrista gave earlier: changing the print spooling option.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Postby MessyTendon » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:42 pm

Did you see this? Sounds like a possibility.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/posts/43636

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Postby Ramon Amira » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:37 pm

Is it worth trying a System Restore to an earlier time?

souldier

Postby souldier » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:Is it worth trying a System Restore to an earlier time?

Any update? I'd leave system restore as a last resort.

Do you have any other computer around the house that you can try installing the printer on? If you run into the same problem on a different computer, then you probably have a hardware issue rather than a software issue.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

andreas777

Postby andreas777 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:23 pm

Install a PDF printer (if not already done) and print your document to a PDF file instead of your printer. Check if the PDF file is correct, and if so, then try to print the PDF file to your printer.
19 classical guitars, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Postby Ramon Amira » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:54 am

Still trying various solutions, and will give an update if anything happens. Thanks to all.

Ramon

Kent

Postby Kent » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Grab wallet. Open wallet to credit card slot.
Pull out credit card.
Go to favorite hardware website. Sometimes printer manufacturers have a great clearance section.
Pick the printer that meets your needs
Click buy now button.
Wait for box to arrive on front steps.
Open box. Set up new printer.
Print to your hearts content.
Recycle old printer.
Get back here and thank me.

Return to “The Café”